Internet Telephony: Completely Free Calls Worldwide Article Discussion Area

Options

Comments

• helenog
    Options
    Sorry if this has been posted up before, but I can't see it. Just wondering if it is possible to use any voip providers to call premium rate competition lines. Skype used to allow it but then they stopped doing it, and I cannot get any further info out of them to see if they are going to resume the service. Are there any other providers out there that will let us call these numbers. I'm not wanting the calls for free (I can dream, I suppose) - I do expect to pay. Any info would be appreciated.
  • utilitybroker
    utilitybroker Posts: 2,207 Forumite
    edited 5 December 2009 at 10:36AM
    Options
    helenog

Their are still some suppliers that do EG: http://www.orbtalk.co.uk/voip/payg/payg-rates/

and http://www.localphone.com/call/united_kingdom

If you have a mobile have a look at the following service you can use from inclusive minutes.

http://regionaltelecom.com/mobile-reduced_rates?zenid=g7t37v7hqeoqoiklmo5dgtnvm3
  • helenog
    Options
    thanks - localphone seem to offer what I'm looking for. Wonder why skype stopped supporting calls to premium rate numbers - you can't make the calls unless you have credit in the account so not sure how it could be open to abuse - or am I being naive?
  • mooncalf
    mooncalf Posts: 81 Forumite
    Options
    Email from Tesco:

"We are writing to let you know that from 27th April 2010, we will no longer be providing Tesco internet phone and Talk Wi-fi services. This is due to a number of factors that impact the service we provide to you, so we have decided to discontinue this offering.

From this date your Tesco internet phone account will be closed and the Tesco internet phone website will not be available. You will no longer be able to access your online account or be able to make calls using your Tesco internet phone.

With the exception of any free credit provided with your handset, we will refund (by cheque) any credit held in your account after 27th April 2010."

So what are the alternatives? Who did they use? I really want to keep my DDI number.
  • irrelevant
    irrelevant Posts: 257 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I just had a similar email. No mention of refunding of credit, though (maybe because I haven't got any - I only use the number for incoming calls) but also worthy of mention is that they will refund any recent hardware purchases.
    mooncalf wrote: »
    So what are the alternatives? Who did they use? I really want to keep my DDI number.

Their Manchester numbers (0161-711) are allocated to Freshtel UK Limited. I don't know about other ranges. Or if Freshtel will be willing to take on tesco customers directly. It's possible - you're best contacting them ASAP.
  • Colin_London
    Options
    Have received this email too :(

I wonder what the mysterious reasons are? New Regulation? Contractual problems with their provider? or just not making any money for them?

Oh well, guess I'll have to send off the requested details to get our £6 credit back :(
  • mooncalf
    mooncalf Posts: 81 Forumite
    Options
    irrelevant wrote: »
    I just had a similar email. No mention of refunding of credit, though (maybe because I haven't got any - I only use the number for incoming calls) but also worthy of mention is that they will refund any recent hardware purchases.

Their Manchester numbers (0161-711) are allocated to Freshtel UK Limited. I don't know about other ranges. Or if Freshtel will be willing to take on tesco customers directly. It's possible - you're best contacting them ASAP.

http://www.computerworld.com.au/article/336985/freshtel_forecasts_1_25m_loss/

looks like the end of the road
  • MiserlyMartin
    MiserlyMartin Posts: 2,236 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    frenchbob wrote: »
    Hi,

I Live in France and had been using Voipcheap for a long time. However, I am now using SmartVoip (probably same company) as it is half the price of Voipcheap! I pay 0.06€, about 5p pmin to UK mobile. I think that's great value. You need to regulary check these Voip companies as they change prices without telling you. Skype is great but you pay for calls to L/Lines. We only use Skype for webcam calls as Voip companies don't seem to have webcam.

Regards,

Bob

Warning to anyone who wondered about this brand SmartVOIP. The minimum top up is 15 euros. After you have paid a 50 eurocent admin charge for credit card payment and 19% VAT the amount charged to your card is 19.45 euro. AND the number of freedays is only 90 NOT 120. The charge to call UK mobiles is 5.3p but you need to consider the extra expense and less free days.
  • Thales
    Thales Posts: 2 Newbie
    Options
    My Nokia E71 (Symbian OS) comes with an internet call application pre-installed (also Fring works see below).

I recently obtained a free geographic conventional UK landline number (01..) from Sipgate.co.uk and configured Sipgate with the Nokia E71.

Now whenever I am near a free internet wireless service (often provided by hotels, pubs, some airports and coffee bars etc), I can receive calls to my Nokia on the 01.. number. This works internationally.

Because 01.. numbers are usually included in BT (eg evenings and weekend) and mobile phone packages the caller is not charged for the call to my mobile.

This is true even if I am overseas at the time. Fring is an alternative mobile phone application that can be installed on many phones (including the E71) that will also provide internet telephony.
  • sumeet
    sumeet Posts: 298 Forumite
    Options
    Is there anyway on a smartphone such as HTC hero to make free outbound international calls when in a WIFI zone?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure