PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

NHBC - Kitchen Problem

Options
Does anyone have experience of claiming from NHBC?

I bought a house a few weeks ago which is covered for 10 years. The house has been sitting empty for almost 2 years due to the crazy price the developer was looking.

The problem is the kitchen, all the cupboard doors have completely warped and changed shape due to sitting in the cold for so long. They are quite bad, most do not close properly. Its really something I should have picked up on but somehow I missed it until it was too late and had bought the place. It is a new build but as I said has been sitting empty. Is this something I could claim off NHBC? There developer is just ignoring me and letters I have sent him asking him to put it right as the kitchen is not fit for purpose. If anyone could offer suggestions that would be great thanks.

Comments

• Doozergirl
    Doozergirl Posts: 33,906 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    NHBC deal with the structural aspects of your house. They will not be dealing with your kitchen problems.

The builder normally agrees to deal with 'snagging' for the first two years. It's the builder that you need to keep pursuing. They do have reputations for being a bit loathe to actually do much. If it's a big corporation then you'll want to direct your letters higher up the chain of command, however you are referring to the developer as a 'him' and it's just going to be down to his integrity. Can you ask him for details of the kitchen purchase, rather than asking him to sort it as his expense and then take it up with the kitchen retailer? You don't need to tell them that the house has been empty ;)
    Everything that is supposed to be in heaven is already here on earth.
  • naijapower
    naijapower Posts: 1,393 Forumite
    Options
    My first question is how soon after you moved in did you complain about this kitchen?
    The builder is definitely liable as it is classed as a snag. They must carry out a post inspection after you have moved in say 6 wks and then you are fully covered by the builders up to 2 years for most things excluding wear and tear.
    Make sure you chase them. Threaten to go to press, watchdog etc. It helped in my own case.
    I even successfully made them pay me some compo after threatening to go to small claims court because they fitted a wooden kitchen splash back which is unsafe as confirmed by health and safety. I didn't use by cooker until they eventually changed the splash back to the normal metallic type which meant i had to rely on expensive takeaways for nearly 2 weeks. This was the basis of my claim and they offered settlement.
    Out of interest, who are your builders?
  • hog_hill
    Options
    Thanks for the replies, I complained about the cupboards the day after I got the keys. I have only had the house about 3 weeks. I'm in Northern Ireland naijapower and the developer is based in Dungannon but it was a seperate company doing all the building. The builder has actually said he would not stand for that in his own house but he cannot replace the doors without the go ahead from the developer, who is ignoring me.
  • Premier_2
    Premier_2 Posts: 15,141 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    It doesn't matter that the property has sit empty, as long as you bought the property direct from the developer as new, then the NHBC guarantee starts from when you bought it.

As you only bought it a few weeks ago, you should be covered.

The first point of call should be with the developer who sold you the property to rectify the issues, not the NHBC guarantee which is there as a backup should the developer not repair the faults (e.g. because the developer has gone bust)
    "Now to trolling as a concept. .... Personally, I've always found it a little sad that people choose to spend such a large proportion of their lives in this way but they do, and we have to deal with it." - MSE Forum Manager 6th July 2010
  • Doozergirl
    Doozergirl Posts: 33,906 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Premier wrote: »
    It doesn't matter that the property has sit empty, as long as you bought the property direct from the developer as new, then the NHBC guarantee starts from when you bought it.

As you only bought it a few weeks ago, you should be covered.

The first point of call should be with the developer who sold you the property to rectify the issues, not the NHBC guarantee which is there as a backup should the developer not repair the faults (e.g. because the developer has gone bust)

If NHBC do get involved, they are still going to expect the developer to rectify the problems, barrell of laughs that will be.

Do you have the NHBC certificate? What's the date on it, ie. what are you covered for at this point. I thought it was completion of the build that started the warranty, rather than completion of contracts.
    Everything that is supposed to be in heaven is already here on earth.
  • hog_hill
    Options
    I rang NHBC just to see what the story is and they need something back from my solicitor to register the warranty. I asked is there anything they could do and she said possibly is the kitchen is not fit for purpose then maybe they could help but it all depends on the type of warranty which they havent received yet. Their website does suggest all problems in the first 2 years should be handled by the developer. I have written to the developer a couple of times now and no response.
  • Premier_2
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Doozergirl wrote: »
    ...I thought it was completion of the build that started the warranty, rather than completion of contracts.
    Other than cover that is available between exchange and completion, NHBC runs from the date of the first legal completion of the first sale of a new build.
    "Now to trolling as a concept. .... Personally, I've always found it a little sad that people choose to spend such a large proportion of their lives in this way but they do, and we have to deal with it." - MSE Forum Manager 6th July 2010
  • Premier_2
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    hog_hill wrote: »
    ...I have written to the developer a couple of times now and no response.
    You've only been there "a few weeks" :eek:

Note that some builders like you to keep snags & faults not identified prior to moving in for say 3-6 months. This allows them to arrange a visit to correct all snags faults at the same time after you move in, rather than having to arrange a new visit each time you find a new problem...and I'm sure you'll find some more problems soon.

Only if the issue is so bad that the problem requires immediate attention or failure to correct asap would lead to further damage would the builder usually make an urgent call to rectify.

If you don't get a response to your letter after a reasonable period, why not phone them to see what their procedure is?
  • Wookey
    Wookey Posts: 812 Forumite
    Options
    Whoever you bought the house of is responsible for any problems and they should be your first port of call. Bear in mind that virtually everyone in the building trade is subbed in to carry our the work these days, therefore the seller will probably need to get in contact with the kitchen suppliers, this in itself can create problems espescially in todays climate where firms are going bust, a subby could argue that as it was two years ago that he supplied the doors then he can no longer stand over them. I find it strange though that a new house was finished out when not sold and seemingly allowed to sit for so long without a small amount of heating being left on to minimise any damage caused by damp etc...

As others have said NHBC warranty is more to do with structural side of things it may however be worth asking the HNBC for there area representitive to get in contact with you informally, you can then ask him to have a word with whoever the seller/developer is with a view to resolving this amicably.
    Norn Iron Club member No 353
  • hog_hill
    Options
    Thanks for the replies again.

I am probably not explaining this correctly but there is a developer of these houses and a completely different company subbed in to do the building.

The builders have been great and come in and fixed any other problems we have had - extractor fan not working, door lock replaced, problem with one of the floors etc.

However, with the kitchen, the builder has said that the developer will have to pay for the new doors before he can go ahead and arrange to have them replaced. He said the developer wont speak to him about it and the developer is also ignoring my letters. The builder has told me to insist they are all replaced but until the developer authorises the builder to go ahead there is nothing he can do.

So its not a case of arranging things or moving information down the line, I think the developer is just hoping I will give up and stop complaining.

I dont think I am going to get anywhere with him which is why I am hoping NHBC can step in and help some way.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.5K Life & Family
  • 248.8K Travel & Transport