🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Bad Landing Ryanair FR448 DUB-LPL 3rd Feb - Possibly Injured

Options
12346»

Comments

• dealsearcher
    Options
    Oh dear. Indeed it would seem that WSGA and wdyw have taken offence at my post. You are correct to say that reverse thrust is not used in performance calculation, it is considered as a bonus, the aircraft rotates around it's c of g (well smack my hand!) and that 5 knots is the minimum added for wind shear. However this is just semantics to those who aren't pilots of jet airliners.

My post was not intended as an introduction to airliner performance and aerodynamics. I was just trying to point out some of the main reasons why rawy had his experience. I was trying to be helpful. If you feel threatened by a thread where posts are intended to help then more fool you.

Flying with you must be fun. :rotfl:
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,774 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Options
    All this discussion is very interesting :rolleyes: , but the OP said this almost 2 days ago:
    rawy wrote: »
    Hi.

After a day thinking about what happened, reading comments on here & reading other fourms about Ryanair Landings with 737-800s I will just be sending a letter to Ryanair to say how uncomfortable the landing was.

The lockers didn't open & I now understand that ryanair don't tend to use reverse thrust on slow down, they use brakes more on the 737-800. And that particular model of plane is well known in avaiation circles for firm landings.

Thanks for your comments guys!

Rawy
  • bert&ernie
    bert&ernie Posts: 1,283 Forumite
    Options
    Bert&Ernie, I certainly hope I didn't give any impression of ridiculing any less informed people than myself, that was certainly not my intention, and I tried to phrase my post in a way that was neither patronising nor with an air of aloofness.

My main point was merely, in any profession, there can be a huge gap in the public perception of what is going on to the reality. And yes indeed, that applies to many professions, and if this was a discussion about dodgy bricklaying, I wouldn't dare comment as I know nowt about the subject, however I could certainly express an opinion about it, but I would stand to be corrected by those in the industry. And as a professional pilot, I am, have been, and always will be happy to discuss with my passengers anything about aviation that they have questions about and hope I can assist in their understanding of any area of it, in fact that is one of the nicest parts of the job. And yes you are quite right, this is a public forum, and debate and discussion is a damn good thing, and I would never try to close any debate with a "oh I know more than yow", that's the worst type of snobbery which I have no time for amongst a minority of my fellow colleagues, and other professionals in the real world so to speak. However the internet is probably not the best place to go into the minutae of why's and what's and how's in detail as to what happens in any career on a daily basis, therefore I was trying to put the point across that there are sometimes great differences in the public perception to reality. One final point, it does slightly erk me though when I see complete non-sensical comments such as the ones about low cost operators as have been seen on this thread, not by you I might add, but these perceptions need to be challenged as they are rather ill-informed.

Edit to say: Bert I realise your comments were not aimed at me by the way, I just wanted to clarify.

You are correct that my comments were not in any way intended as a criticism of you. I think we broadly agree with each other - this a refreshing alternative to the pi$$ing contest being played out by a few others on this thread.

Welcome to MSE by the way.
    The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.
  • WSGA
    WSGA Posts: 17 Forumite
    Options
    I'm surprised you're still flying with the "I know better than you. You're wrong, end of story" attitude you have. I may just be starting out on jets, but I for one would never want to spend time on a flightdeck with you. I take it you think the MCC is just a bunch of psychobabble never to be used in real life.

Not at all. I'm a great advocate of CRM and SOP's. The only thing that I ask of my crew is that they do their jobs properly and to the best of their abilities. This includes an expectation of them to know what they're doing and what they're talking about.

At no point did I say "I know better than you. You're wrong, end of story". That is simply not my attitude. All I did do was highlight and correct mistakes in the poster's text. If you can't accept that people make mistakes and will be corrected then it is you that has no business on a flight deck. Afterall that is a major part of CRM and a Just Culture is it not? I do not really care if you want to spend time on the flight deck with me. There are plenty of people I don't enjoy on my flight deck and I'm sure that the feeling is sometimes mutual. But the onus is on us, as professionals, to act as such and leave personal feelings at home. Do the job, go home. It doesn't matter whether you are best mates or hate each other.

To dealsearcher.
    1. I do not feel threatened by your post. To me it is just text written by an anonymous person. I felt it needed expanding on and in some instances correcting to give a fuller explanation to the people on this thread who may be interested.

2. I do not see how a full explanation is a problem in this instance. If you do not believe that the public can understand what you are trying to explain either don't bother or explain more clearly but lets not assume that they wouldn't understand. In fact what is wrong with a simple introduction to airliner perfomance and aerodynamics? People are genuinely interested.

3. I don't go to work to have fun. However, I do enjoy my work and yes, people do enjoy flying with me.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 10 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport