UPDATED: Air Source Heat Pumps/Air Con - Full Info & Guide, is it cheaper to run than mains gas?

Options

Comments

• rhubarbe
    rhubarbe Posts: 95 Forumite
    Options
    Temp in lobby where stat is gets to about 18C unaided. With EFH in kitchen we can get it as high as we like. Rest of the house is over 21°C. When kitchen rad cleaned out we hope to get to 21C in lobby..
  • bushyh
    bushyh Posts: 53 Forumite
    Options
    Agree, set the hallway to 30C, turn off the hallway radiator and make sure all your other rads are turned on.

It could also be an issue that the system hasnt been balanced properly.

Do the pipes from the heatpump feel hot?

Sorry to be thick but are those pipes in the airing cupboard or outside with the pump. There are two pretty hot pipes from/to one of the water tanks inside the rest are warm/cold depending on which ones - the cupboard has two tanks and tons of pipes in fact there is actually no room in it for anything else.
  • rhubarbe
    Options
    The ones that come from the pump, outside...
  • richardc1983
    richardc1983 Posts: 2,157 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    bushyh wrote: »
    Sorry to be thick but are those pipes in the airing cupboard or outside with the pump. There are two pretty hot pipes from/to one of the water tanks inside the rest are warm/cold depending on which ones - the cupboard has two tanks and tons of pipes in fact there is actually no room in it for anything else.

You could feel the pipes outside coming from the heat pump, just pull back the insulation on the pipes and feel if they are hot.

If they are hot then you know the heat pump is working as it should and the problem either lies with the thermostat, radiator valves or manifold.
    If you found my post helpful, please remember to press the THANKS button! --->
  • bushyh
    Options
    You could feel the pipes outside coming from the heat pump, just pull back the insulation on the pipes and feel if they are hot.

If they are hot then you know the heat pump is working as it should and the problem either lies with the thermostat, radiator valves or manifold.

off to find my wellies back soon
  • bushyh
    edited 3 December 2010 at 2:24PM
    Options
    hot definitely not warm barely, the lagging around one of the pipes was full of water in the place I opened it.
  • rhubarbe
    Options
    Then it's the heat pump. No doubt about it.
  • richardc1983
    Options
    hot definitely not warm barely, the lagging around one of the pipes was full of water in the place I opened it.

Sorry can you confirm:

Definatly hot or barely warm?
  • bushyh
    Options
    barely warm

- definitely not hot
  • richardc1983
    Options
    barely warm

- definitely not hot

Then its the outdoor unit of the system thats faulty.

Could be short of gas for example. Is your water hot enough? YOu want to make sure that your hot water isnt supplementing by using the electrical element otherwise your going to get a big bill.

I would ring the installer up again today and say your house is at 12C and you have relatives coming to stay this weekend and its freezing.

You could catch hypothermia at these temps.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback