We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Paying for MQ and SLA

Options
Just wondering if anyone one on here knows if you can move into the block while still paying for a Married Quarter and if you would have to pay for the room in the block??

Cheers in advance for any replies
[

Comments

• Trying_to_be_good
    Options
    Sorry to be personal - is this a break-up, or a personal choice to move into SLA? Is it at the same location as the SFA?
    Mortgage Free thanks to ill-health retirement
  • Cat695
    Cat695 Posts: 3,647 Forumite
    Options
    if its a break up then yes you will have to pay for both....the quarter upto a max of 93 days then after the 93 days its down to the person living in the MQ (the rent then can go up massively)
    If you find yourself in a fair fight, then you have failed to plan properly

I've only ever been wrong once! and that was when I thought I was wrong but I was right
  • 1012donna
    1012donna Posts: 11,517 Forumite
    Options
    I agree, you'll have to pay for both. When my husband is on course at living in the mess we have to pay our MQ rent and his mess room rates.
    Murphy's No More Pies Club Member No. 68
  • wagster_2
    wagster_2 Posts: 286 Forumite
    Options
    Cat695 wrote: »
    if its a break up then yes you will have to pay for both....the quarter upto a max of 93 days then after the 93 days its down to the person living in the MQ (the rent then can go up massively)

Incorrect.

1. If you move into SLA due to a break-up and are using the "Cooling Off" of upto 93 days separation then you will still have to pay for the MQ but not SLA charges.

2. After the ‘Cooling Off’ period or as soon as it becomes apparent that there will not be a reconciliation the service person's PStatCat will be changed and
    93 day Notice to vacate the MQ will be issued, during these 93 days you still pay for the MQ but not SLA.
    3. After the 93 day notice to vacate has elapsed (or the person famil has moved ou) MQ charges stop being raised against the service person in SLA and instead start paying full SLA rates and the person/family in MQ are then deemed an "Irregular Occupant".
    If you decide to not exercise the "Cooling off" period then skip step 1 and straight to step 2.

During all this the only extra you have to pay is the Daily Food Charge until step 3 is reached if you are not on a pay as you dine unit.
  • ICATQ
    ICATQ Posts: 664 Forumite
    Options
    Wagster is correct.

Regarding personnel who are serving unaccompanied or on courses that is different. You dont pay an accommodation charge, you pay an abated food charge if the Unit is non PAYD, if it is a PAYD then you just pay for your meals not the SLA whilst on a course.

Hope that helps.
  • Cat695
    Cat695 Posts: 3,647 Forumite
    Options
    wagster wrote: »
    Incorrect.

1. If you move into SLA due to a break-up and are using the "Cooling Off" of upto 93 days separation then you will still have to pay for the MQ but not SLA charges.

2. After the ‘Cooling Off’ period or as soon as it becomes apparent that there will not be a reconciliation the service person's PStatCat will be changed and
    93 day Notice to vacate the MQ will be issued, during these 93 days you still pay for the MQ but not SLA.
    3. After the 93 day notice to vacate has elapsed (or the person famil has moved ou) MQ charges stop being raised against the service person in SLA and instead start paying full SLA rates and the person/family in MQ are then deemed an "Irregular Occupant".
    If you decide to not exercise the "Cooling off" period then skip step 1 and straight to step 2.

During all this the only extra you have to pay is the Daily Food Charge until step 3 is reached if you are not on a pay as you dine unit.

Well someone needs to tell my (old) admin office

As soon as I moved out I started paying both

and only one 93 day period was given to my ex not two

This has happened twice to me!

(could have been worse she could have moved someone else in I guess...which I've seen)
    If you find yourself in a fair fight, then you have failed to plan properly

I've only ever been wrong once! and that was when I thought I was wrong but I was right
  • 1012donna
    1012donna Posts: 11,517 Forumite
    Options
    ICATQ wrote: »
    Wagster is correct.

Regarding personnel who are serving unaccompanied or on courses that is different. You dont pay an accommodation charge, you pay an abated food charge if the Unit is non PAYD, if it is a PAYD then you just pay for your meals not the SLA whilst on a course.

Hope that helps.

When my OH was on IMLC at Halton he paid Halton mess bill for his room and PAYD for his food.
    Murphy's No More Pies Club Member No. 68
  • Andy_L
    Andy_L Posts: 12,834 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    or was he just saying that & blowing the rest on beer :beer:
  • wagster_2
    Options
    Cat695 wrote: »
    Well someone needs to tell my (old) admin office

As soon as I moved out I started paying both

and only one 93 day period was given to my ex not two

This has happened twice to me!

(could have been worse she could have moved someone else in I guess...which I've seen)

Don't know when it happened to you or what the rules where at the time but that is what it is now.

If it was me i would be looking at trying to claim some money back if they messed up.
  • wagster_2
    Options
    1012donna wrote: »
    When my OH was on IMLC at Halton he paid Halton mess bill for his room and PAYD for his food.

I didn't think mess bills cover the room, but covers the "luxuries and priviledge" of using the mess lol.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport