Ideal Isar Boiler 2 years old and kaput!!!

Options

Comments

• 5thelement
    Options
    usless boiler had mine repaired several times, and it didn't work on first day of install under the Warmfront scheme, asked a few questions and it seemed some MPs were allegedly on board of directors to all schemes, It has broken down again and Worcester Bosch is the deal. Why do govts, cut cost but then have only have the best installed if the tax payer is paying, bunch of crooks, the free boiler is worth just that! Ideal is the lowest cost boiler but they charged Worcester Bosch Prices to install it and bill the govt.
  • Oldsoak
    Oldsoak Posts: 195 Forumite
    Options
    Warm front fitter ours and it required 24 parts in the first 2 years. It lasted 5 before I had it replaced. The bloke who replaced it said that they cost just £35 to produce!!! So no wonder the quality is carp. He also said that he currently has around 200 of these at his yard awaiting the crusher and they rip out at least 1 a week.
  • 5thelement
    Options
    Ideal = trouble. Just get a Worcester Bosch Job Done
  • Seronera
    Seronera Posts: 343 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    5thelement wrote: »
    Ideal = trouble. Just get a Worcester Bosch Job Done

Not true.I fix just as many Worcester Bosch's as I do Ideals. The ideal Isar and Icos and Istore boilers were particularly evil it is true, but I'd have the current Ideal Logic or Vogue before a Worcester Bosch any day. They are much more nicely designed, easy to work on and proving very reliable five years after they were first launched.

I have an Ideal Turbo 2 condensing boiler at home. Its now 23 years old and in that time it has had one replacement fan, a new siphon kit and a case seal. I fitted it in 1992 and its been fantastic. Unfortunately they got it all wrong after that, but it's sorted now and you can recommend Ideal alongside any other decent boiler again. There are well over a million Logics out there and the faults have proved remarkably few..... So far.
  • 5thelement
    Options
    Ideal are anything but! Total rubbish. I got mine installed, under the Warmfront scheme. The chap from Warmfront came around with a list of boilers, and I insisted on Worcester Bosch, or Valliant, and for x,y,z reason that the Warmfront surveyor could comeout with was only given the option of only an Idea bolier. I have noted from the 10 recommendations, that Warmfront had all were Ideal. The cheapest boiler but the billed the Govt the max. MIne never worked right from day one and has needed several repairs. Each time I complained and the Warmfront Engineers said a back door deal was done with the govt and Warmfront, in fact some MPs had benefited from it! We see Benefits cheats, programs, but we rally need to ask questions of the people titled Right Honorable, as they are anything but that!
  • Seronera
    Options
    5thelement wrote: »
    Ideal are anything but! Total rubbish. I got mine installed, under the Warmfront scheme. The chap from Warmfront came around with a list of boilers, and I insisted on Worcester Bosch, or Valliant, and for x,y,z reason that the Warmfront surveyor could comeout with was only given the option of only an Idea bolier. I have noted from the 10 recommendations, that Warmfront had all were Ideal. The cheapest boiler but the billed the Govt the max. MIne never worked right from day one and has needed several repairs. Each time I complained and the Warmfront Engineers said a back door deal was done with the govt and Warmfront, in fact some MPs had benefited from it! We see Benefits cheats, programs, but we rally need to ask questions of the people titled Right Honorable, as they are anything but that!

We are not disagreeing about Ideal boilers of a certain type/vintage, but the latest are excellent and its shame I can't show you the two side by side and demonstrate the poor design on the earlier type and the good design on the current.

I do understand your pain though. People expect me to get theirs going again and its not always straightforward and rarely cheap in parts. Worcester Boschs are OK, good even, but far from perfect I assure people
  • C_Mababejive
    C_Mababejive Posts: 11,654 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 12 January 2015 at 6:57PM
    Options
    #5 i would tend to disagree. I would say that the biggest killer of new install systems is the use of acidic/self cleaning fluxes where the system has not been flushed out after installation.

It would be interesting to find out which particular component(s) fail on the pcb as it may be that they can be de-soldered and replaced with the necessary skills.
    Feudal Britain needs land reform. 70% of the land is "owned" by 1 % of the population and at least 50% is unregistered (inherited by landed gentry). Thats why your slave box costs so much..
  • Seronera
    Options
    #5 i would tend to disagree. I would say that the biggest killer of new install systems is the use of acidic/self cleaning fluxes where the system has not been flushed out after installation.

It would be interesting to find out which particular component(s) fail on the pcb as it may be that they can be de-soldered and replaced with the necessary skills.

You may well be right about the flux, but not everybody does bad installs and Isars still fall over too regularly for that to cover it all.

Isar PCBs can be killed in a variety of ways. By the ignition unit shorting it out=kaput, by water dripping on it from the AAV or from leaking heat exchanger (its a straight drip onto it!!)=kaput, and some you come across have just overheated and melted the casing= kaput.

Repairing them is for those with a lorra lorra time on their hands, and you still end up with an unreliable pcb.....assuming you succeed in fixing it at all. Not a good plan IMHO.
  • Geoff123
    Geoff123 Posts: 7 Forumite
    edited 23 November 2016 at 4:14PM
    Options
    I have an IDEAL logic 24 combi and it has just been diagnosed with a split heat exchanger. The water pressure drops continuously and it runs away into the condensate pipe.
    This boiler is three years old. So therefore I certainly would not recommend IDEAL LOGIC boilers.! They are cheap and have a poor record over the last ten years with their COMBI`S.
    I have now been told the whole heat exchanger needs replacing and I`m waiting to see if it will be done under IDEALS fixed repairs scheme. The engineer has just departed but I have already paid IDEAL the £275 up front.
    This boiler was also installed under the government Warmfront scheme...it only had a two year gaurantee.
    I will add to this post when I find out if IDEAL will honour their claim to fix anything in the boiler with the fixed price repair :mad:
  • ukmike
    ukmike Posts: 751 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    IDEAL logic 24 combis now have a 7 year warranty.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure