Ideal Isar Boiler 2 years old and kaput!!!

Options

Comments

• unclebulgaria
    Options
    bordercars wrote: »
    after speaking with CS at ideal, the warranty i called about was a warmfront deal. they will

"If the boiler is still under the two year manufactures warranty then you can call us on 01482 498660 and our customer services team will be happy to book a call out for you.
    Any parts that are replaced during the warranty period are only covered during this time. If the boiler is now out of warranty there would be a charge for the call out £245 inclusive of parts and labour. "

the boiler has the same fault as before...not covered, and was benchmarked ( fitted etc) on Aug 28 2010, bank holiday makes no difference so i missed the 2 years by 5 days.

I maybe talking out of my hat but, my understanding of the Sales Of Goods And Services Act is that you cant wriggle out of a warranty when its within a short period of the warranty running out. I would seek legal advice about this if I were you. If it was 6 months then I'd say no way but 5 days is neither here nor there!
    Either have a look at the Act online or contact a solicitor and ask for Pro Bono advice regarding your problem. You can usually get 30 mins for free over the phone.
  • bordercars
    Options
    an update on how bad they are.

ordered new board, be warned they fit every boiler but are chipped sepertlet, which the Parts Centre knew nothing about, so we had another 5 days as it was the weekend until we could get the chip for our boiler. got that fitted and whilst the engineer was having a brew, it developed another fault, this time a thermo part on the flow ( also one on the return) went so another 3 days whilst that came. I havent had the bill yet but now wished i had gone done the £245 ideal callout which was parts and labour.

IMO 2 years and a couple of days for parts to be going is POO, how have ideal lasted and boast they have been supplying for 100 years.
    Div 1 Play Off Winners 2007
    CCC Play Off Winners 2010
  • southcoastrgi
    Options
    just to make you fell even better, the ideal boards are not chipped differently, one board will fit 10-20 different boilers, they come with jumpers (pins) that are linked together differently & all the instructions & links are included in the box with the pcb, so a few fibs from parts centre there i'm afraid, the old ideals used to be okish but the icon & isar are pants, still you only have to look at the glowworm micron (with it's pcb probs) to see how a big company can get it wrong.
    I'm only here while I wait for Corrie to start.

You get no BS from me & if I think you are wrong I WILL tell you.
  • gas4you
    gas4you Posts: 2,602 Forumite
    Options
    Yes, one board fits nearly all.

I charge £325 all in for a board replacement. Can't get anywhere near Ideals fixed price repair.But then they only pay about £15-£20 for the board.

Parts Center! Won't use them unless I'm forced to.
  • southcoastrgi
    Options
    & you are lucky the pcb didn't take out the spark generator as well, wow i think i need to put my prices up lol

• whatalaugh
    Options
    My boiler has decided that as it is snowing, it would be a great time to break down. It was only fitted in October 2006.

According to my BIL it is looking like the PCB unit has packed in meaning no power to the boiler.

Has anyone else had a similar problem with the IDEAL ISAR HE24 boiler?

It was installed under the Warmfront scheme but I believe the warranty ended in October 2008.
    hi there mine just packed in got hot water no heating might be something daft dont know
  • whatalaugh
    Options
    whatalaugh wrote: »
    hi there mine just packed in got hot water no heating might be something daft dont know
    probably ring ideal see what they have to say
  • OpinionH
    Options
    I had the same fault,before moving to my home I googled the Isar HW24 and added problem to my search,there were many references to endless problems with this boiler.
    I moved in and when I turned the heating on it had developed a fault.It needed a new PCB!! I paid £240 to have it fixed (just outside the 2 year warranty period.)although the fault must have developed within that period as the heating was not turned on during the summer.
    After paying ISAR to fix it I asked if I could pay an annual fee for a maintenance contract......what a surprise to find it wasn't available for that model.
    I would avoid any company who cannot stand by it's product especially considering that a large quantity of these boilers were fitted under thehomefront scheme.
    It has subsequently broken dow again and I paid a private contractor to fix it ISAR will never have another penny of my money
  • southcoastrgi
    southcoastrgi Posts: 6,298 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    OpinionH wrote: »
    I had the same fault,before moving to my home I googled the Isar HW24 and added problem to my search,there were many references to endless problems with this boiler.
    I moved in and when I turned the heating on it had developed a fault.It needed a new PCB!! I paid £240 to have it fixed (just outside the 2 year warranty period.)although the fault must have developed within that period as the heating was not turned on during the summer.
    After paying ISAR to fix it I asked if I could pay an annual fee for a maintenance contract......what a surprise to find it wasn't available for that model.
    I would avoid any company who cannot stand by it's product especially considering that a large quantity of these boilers were fitted under thehomefront scheme.
    It has subsequently broken dow again and I paid a private contractor to fix it ISAR will never have another penny of my money

as you are new i'll be nice & not take the mick :D

I don't think isar will mind not having any of your money, because your boiler is an Ideal boiler so it's them you would pay the money to, isar is the model ;)

• deano72_2
    deano72_2 Posts: 786 Forumite
    Options
    Here we go again
    My evo boiler (Isar ideal) is playing up again .
    It works ok on ch but just sits there on standby when calling for dhw. I reckon the diverter valve is not getting the signal to open for dhw. I'm pointing finger to either the pcb or a sensor, the only sensor I can find associated to Dhw is dhw thermistor which will measure temp not flow and also has a resistance value, unless there's a flow sensor that I'm not seeing its got to be the board
    The boiler was installed 2008 and i fitted new board in feb 2010 so this would be the second one if it is the pcb.. Only finger pointing at the pcb ATM, & if it is the board ill happily display on here what a crock of pooh it is..we're see!!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure