Turned down for debit card Nationwide

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Budgeting & Bank Accounts
27 replies 3.4K views
DCP11CDCP11C Forumite
43 Posts
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Budgeting & Bank Accounts
I've been turned down from getting an upgrade to a debit card from Nationwide. I feel betrayed as I am with them since 2003 (savings) and have made no withdraws. I've had this FlexAccount (current) for about a month now and was hoping to get a debit card.

I asked the attendent why and she gave me some bullcrap story on how they must do "credit checks" and all this nonsense when other banks just give you one straight away i dont see the problem so there you go :mad:

I'm bit upset and thinking about moving to another bank because of this. I don't know what to do now :confused:

Replies

• book12book12 Forumite
    2.6K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    I would leave the flex account open, assuming you still want your savings there, due to good interest rates. By leaving it open, you could transfer your savings to the flex account to withdraw money.

Open another bank account with another bank, where they provide debit cards as standard with their current accounts. They offer credit interest on balances, unlike Nationwide, they will not do this from February.
  • book12 wrote: »
    I would leave the flex account open, assuming you still want your savings there, due to good interest rates. By leaving it open, you could transfer your savings to the flex account to withdraw money.

Open another bank account with another bank, where they provide debit cards as standard with their current accounts. They offer credit interest on balances, unlike Nationwide, they will not do this from February.

Nationwide credit interest on balances are not competitive now because of the BoE base rate. I can relate how frustrating it is not to have a visa debit card upgraded, even if you have a good credit history and managed well with the account. Look at other threads relating to this, a lot of people had problems upgrading their flex account including myself. The trick is to apply for a new flex account online as in many cases they got the visa debit card without any problems. If you managed to succeed this way, then close your old flex account and use the new flex account with visa debit! Best of luck!!
  • simaxsimax Forumite
    1.8K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    Took 8 years of nagging for them to upgrade me!

Anyway, after 10 years with nationwide, I've moved to Lloyds TSB as their current account will (depending on my balances during the month) offer me between 2.00% and 5.00% AER.

Nationwides e-saver offers 1.20% AER from Feb

Enough said. And it was enough to make me move. And I've been resisting it for 9 months now!
    I spent 25 years in the mobile industry, from 1994 to 2019. Worked for indies as well as the big networks, in their stores also in contact centres. I also hold a degree in telecoms engineering so I like to think I know what I’m talking about 😂
  • simax wrote: »
    Took 8 years of nagging for them to upgrade me!

Anyway, after 10 years with nationwide, I've moved to Lloyds TSB as their current account will (depending on my balances during the month) offer me between 2.00% and 5.00% AER.

Nationwides e-saver offers 1.20% AER from Feb

Enough said. And it was enough to make me move. And I've been resisting it for 9 months now!

I can't believe you been nagging Nationwide for an upgrade for 8 years! You should have told them you will take your custom elsewhere if they don't agree to your request!! Nationwide are not as good as they used to be anyway. It seems to me that for most customers, they have Nationwide because of FREE fees using card aboard. That is it.
  • the funny thing is I can't even afford a holiday anyway, during these times it's out of the question so it's not like I want one because of that.

I might just go with lloyds as well, I know a friend with them, they seem ok.

Thanks

"The trick is to apply for a new flex account online as in many cases they got the visa debit card without any problems"

how bloody stupid, nationwide are pathetic, what difference does that make, surly it's cheaper for them to upgrade me?
  • Nationwide are a farce, I had to open 3 current accounts with them, each time I wanted something (chequebook, debit card, overdraft) they'd refuse it, but suggest that as a "new customer" I would get them, so they made me open new accounts every time!
  • DCP11CDCP11C Forumite
    43 Posts
    that's a bit strange isn't it :huh:
  • KavanneKavanne Forumite
    5.1K Posts
    I got a nationwide flex account with cashcard in Jul 08, after having a credit card with them for 2 yrs. I applied in early Jan for a SECOND flex account and this approved me with the debit card :)

I deposited a bit of money into the account in the 6 months I had it, about £300, just so it was active.

How is your credit, OP? You don't mention how it is in your original post. Have you had any bad credit in the past?
    Kavanne
    Nuns! Nuns! Reverse!

'I do my job, do you do yours?'

• kazdkazd Forumite
    1.1K Posts
    ✭✭✭
    Same here absolutely no problem getting a flex account , debit and credit card. It has to be your credit file, it can work both ways if you have bad credit or even if you have no credit history.

I went throught this in the states and only eventually got a credit card when an operative took pity on me because she had the same problem when fresh out of college. I just had to send some utility bills and then I got my credit card. After that it was plain sailing!!!
    £2.00 Savers Club = £34.00 So Far

+ however may £2 coins I have saved in my Terramundi since 2000.

Terramundi weighs 8lb 5oz
  • hmm interesting, that must be it then - no credit history.

Seems funny because I have had a savings account with them for 6 years and have made no withdrawels, surely that's a good thing?

I really wanted a debit card as retailers don't seem to accept cheques thesedays, they told me to "use the account" well I can't "use the account" if I haven't got a debit card not can I? Endless cycle :rolleyes:

Do you think if I just debit and credit my account periodically this will build up a credit history? and how come some banks just give you a debit card?

This is so confusing :confused:

thanks guys for helping me
    appreciate it, I wish they teach things like this in schools, more useful then learning what happened in 1066 in my opinion :rotfl:
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Energy price cap could be extended beyond 2023

New plans have just been announced by the Government

MSE News

Cheap contents insurance for tenants

DON'T assume your landlord covers you

MSE Guides

Summer sizzlers round-up

Incl £2ish sun cream & £1.50 disposable BBQs

MSE Deals