PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

February 2009 Grocery Challenge

Options

Comments

• Essex-girl_2
    Options
    Wow, have just updated my sig and have spent a fortune in the first week.

Will have to be very good for the rest of the month lol. Have stocked up a lot on packed lunch stuff so hopefully is doable.
  • kindlesgirl
    Options
    Hi all, haven't been on for a few days - but got a snow day now so thought I would do a bit of catching up. Last month was not good - £70 over - but did include DDs birthday and also forgot it was 5 weeks! So trying to be very good this month - not too bad so far! will update sig later but have to sort out DD and friends on the Wii!
    Sealed Pot 617 - target £150 only managed £27 in 2009!
  • tessie_bear
    tessie_bear Posts: 4,898 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    hi....its snowing again lovely and we have made a huge snowman and my oh has pulled the kids up and down our lane on their sledge and it is only 10 ish.....ive got a chilli in the sc which seems suitable for the weather....i havent spent any money since last friday....blimey that is amazing for me....unheared of :j i will have to do some shopping soon as the supplies are reducing quickly ...think i might go and make some cakes and something creative for lunch....um some soup maybe

have a nice snowy day tess
    onwards and upwards
  • laineyc_2
    Options
    So far things are going fine. I have yet to manage a NSD, mainly because of milk and bread. What I really need is a bigger freezer but I haven't got the space for it. I normally have no idea what I spend in a month so this is a revelation for me.
    GC 2011 Feb £626.89/£450 NSD3/7 March £531.26/£450 April £495.99/£500 NSD 0/7 May £502.79/£500
    June £511.99/£480 July £311.56/£480
  • So far I think i'm doing a lot better than last month.
    Went to Mr T yday for bits for lunches like yogurts and ham. Also a few bits that I didn't realise I needed when I did my big shop.
    Made bol last night with 500g mince. We had 2 generous portions, with another 3 boxes to go in the freezer (3x2 meals) and a small bowl left in the fridge for me to have at lunch. Put my new found friend in - lentils :) I'm adding them to everything!

LMMS x
    :j Baby boy arrived 22nd August 2012 :j
    :jSecond menace arrived safely 13th February 2014
    :j
    Debt Free Wannabee 2015
  • elaina79
    elaina79 Posts: 953 Forumite
    Options
    Today is going to be a NSD mainly due to the snow, so when I got out its dashing to the school and back ASAP. Only do 1 online shop which is now done. Weather permitting it will be delivered on saturday and don't see me running out of anything before then.
    Has anyone else noticed how the prices of certain things have gone up. Cat food is really expensive now compared to last year. I may have to send my cat out to get a job to fund his food.
    I used to suffer from lack of motivation.... now I just can't be arsed.

Official DFW Nerd Club - Member no. 1141 - Proud to be dealing with my debts :cool:
  • miserly_mum
    miserly_mum Posts: 1,065 Forumite
    Options
    I seem to have spent a LOT and its not even the end of the first week :eek:

Having said that i've stocked up on nappies and wipes from Lidls as they are on offer this week so I won't have to buy anymore later in the month. Packs of 50 size 4 Toujours(their own brand) @£3.59 and their own Cien thick wipes down to 66p per pack. I've used both of them before and highly recommend them.

Both freezers are well stocked and i've loads of HM stuff cooked and frozen for later in the month. Also have quite a few left overs frozen into individual meal portion too. These get used at weekends for OH's midday meal(he's always hungry :rolleyes: )

Pasta bake last night made using up bits and pieces of stuff in the fridge with a tin of Campbells condensed chicken soup over it (tip from MSE). Topped with cheese and crunched up plain crisps (the ones from multipacks the kids never eat)

Made a big pot of chicken and vegetable broth last night and i'll get my and wee one's lunch out of it and at least 5 portions for the freezer :T
    How does a brown cow give white milk, when it only eats green grass?
  • Julimk
    Julimk Posts: 349 Forumite
    Options
    Popped into Mr T for bread & milk after dropping DD at school. Also bought 400g Pilgrim’s Choice Mature Everyday, on offer at £2 (as is ‘Seriously Farmhousy’) & 9 pack of frubes on offer at £1.

Still 2 weeks to go (of 5) & only £10 left - eek!:eek: But we are seriously well stocked up at the mo. DD is with me at the weekend & the supermarket at the weekend with LO in tow would be deadly, so hoping to avoid. Will get DD into the kitchen so we can have a baking day with what we have in & make some treats for her pack-ups.

Will certainly need more milk before the end of the month, and there are one or two other bits that it seems likely will need. But it is doable still (I have to keep telling myself this!) :D
  • DdraigGoch
    Options
    So far it's NSDs all the way up here on our mountain!:j:j

It's amazing how far you can make things go if you a] use Cheap Chow by Kenneth Lo as your inspiration and b] can't face going down the snowy lane!

Best of luck everyone,
    DG
    If you see me on here - shout at me to get off and go and get something useful done!! :D
  • Reverbe
    Reverbe Posts: 4,210 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    still on Nsd and a zero spend on groceries.. had to get a memory stick and camera case but that isnt part of my GC.. so feeling very happy at 5 days in to still be zero.
    What Would Bill Buchanan Do?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport