PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

February 2009 Grocery Challenge

Options

Comments

• redmel1621
    redmel1621 Posts: 6,002 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Just updating.

I realised this morning that the ham Asda sent last night had a 'use by' today, so I shoved loads on the kids sandwiches this morn to use it up a bit!!
    I phoned Asda back this eve and they have refunded both packs for me, so £4.00 to go back on my card:)

I have also decided to add NSD info to my sig, I have split it into 2 kinds, Grocery (as this is my biggest downfall) and General, which I don't buy other stuff that regulary - Well I don't think I do, maybe this will be an eye opener.

Mel x
    Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot,
    Nothing is going to get better. It's not.
  • mumzyof2
    mumzyof2 Posts: 3,343 Forumite
    Options
    sorry for short post but not feeling well...

Updated my sig as spent a little bit today at college cafe.
    Needt to go to home and bargain n ffoods this week when my neck is better..

need fabric conditoner,soda crystals,milk.

does anyone use soda crystals in there washing machine> i using 2 tablets but want to use soda crystals too so what would i do.. do i cut down to 1 tablet. I have a 4 yr old and a 3yr old (her 3rd bday tomo woohoo)
    Sealed Pot dec 08 - dec 09 so far £27.67, Live off £4k Spent £330.20 GC £1,200 for 2009 Spent £50.78 PaD so far £650.07
    Debts: L/woods £154.00 C/One PAID O/D £649.90 Next £299.95 O/D PAID Gas £72.60 Electric £155.73 Mum £640.00 Orange £490.32
  • TrixieB
    TrixieB Posts: 704 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I use UHT semi skimmed longlife milk too - get a 6 litre box from Mr. T for £3.79 and this lasts us a week, mind you we don't have little ones to guzzle it all down! I also have to buy a couple of cartons of Rice milk a week for a childmindee although this is a business expense really but all their snacks are being lumped in together with my grocery shop and then they'll go off my expenses in April.

Soda crystals - used to use them, half and half SC and WP.

Have updated my siggy - Tesco delivery been, no subs! yippee! that came to £53.78 for a fortnight and also went to Co-op and bought several reduced bit for £3.50 including lots of 5p Danish pastries which are in the freezer ready for Saturday when we go away for the weekend - cheap snacks for on train!
    Trying very hard to be frugal and OS - just plodding on and doing my best!
    :money: :money:
    :money:
  • Penny-Pincher!!
    Options
    redmel1621 wrote: »
    I realised this morning that the ham Asda sent last night had a 'use by' today, so I shoved loads on the kids sandwiches this morn to use it up a bit!!
    I phoned Asda back this eve and they have refunded both packs for me, so £4.00 to go back on my card:) x

You could freeze the ham sarnies.

PP
    xx
    To repeat what others have said, requires education, to challenge it,
    requires brains!
    FEB GC/DIESEL £200/4 WEEKS
  • piggeh
    piggeh Posts: 1,723 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Went shopping this evening then on my first moneysaving jaunt. Bought stuff for a shepherds pie thats in the oven, should stretch to thursday dinner! Plus enough for brekkies and lunch until the weekend. Friday I just need minced beef to do a lasagne (will cover the weekend dinners!). Spent £16.50 including cat food and a bottle of wine so really about a tenner on food so far and will hopefully be £12/13 to see me through to Monday. Not bad! :beer:
    matched betting: £879.63
  • PennyGrabber
    Options
    Hi all!
    I have started using the long life milk, as it works out cheaper, and you can store it in the pantry. Before this, I was always running out!! I have found, though, that although it's fine on cereals and in most flavours of angel delight and milkshake, it doesn't work so well in my cups of tea. I have therefore decided on a compromise. In the interests of NSDs, and of course not being tempted to spend extra once I'm in shops, I buy both. Then. when the fresh stuff runs out, we use the longlife. I tend to buy fresh milk every 2 weeks, and use the other in between. As with everything, though, it's what works best for you.

Just been checking my accounts online, and I've done really well so far this month. Doing this challenge makes you wonder what you did with your money before! Not that I ever really had a lot...
    This month, I have paid off a bit of each of my overdrafts, and I've sent off a cheque towards my CC AND I've saved some!! Check me out!!
    PG x
    Grocery challenge for family of three - me, dd(12) and ds(11), feeding dp 2 or 3 x a week too. Only food, not toiletries. Jan £87.97/£100 Feb £0/£100
    Frugal 2018 needed! Saving and NOT spending
  • Rachel021967
    Options
    My husband went shopping today to buy a few bits for my birthday which came to £12.50 much cheaper than a takeaway. We're going to have homemade pizzas followed by jelly and ice cream followed by homemade birthday cake (made by me and my 4 year old).
    My 12 year old daughter went down the shop for me today and spent £4.25. I only wanted washing up liquid and jelly but she came back with 2 large bags of jelly babies because she thought her sister would like a bag and as the other bag was free she could have it. She does try it on. To top it all my 4 year old isn't sure she likes jelly babies so we have decapitated jelly babies all over the house.
    Rant over so total spend today is £16.25 leaving £246.54 for the rest of the month.
  • Hi everyone

Today I had a doctors appointment so went out for a little while, and as I had decided yesterday to investigate about buying more food from green grocers and butchers I popped into a green grocer today and had a look around and couldn't resist buying 150 g blueberries for 99p, normally they cost a lot more in Sainsbugs. I was also very impressed as they have a load of different flours and spices (gluten and wheat free) and all sorts of interesting things that I normally buy in Holland & Barratt for alot more, so will definately be visiting again.

I then came home and made some gluten free bread rolls and a corn bread (thanx to D&DD on the feed a family of 5 thread) and had two rolls for dinne and a nice hot slice of corn bread.

So all in all a very sucessful day, rather surprised that I only managed to spend 99p, what a result.

Goodnight everyone
    Casper
    x x
    LBM Feb 09[STRIKE] £64 427.32[/STRIKE] £13 700.59! Sub £15 000!
    DFD July 2018
    GC 01Dec ~ 30Dec £40.00 SSF £00.00
    NSD 00/20 WSC (08~14) £13.59 SSF £00.00 DFW Nerd 319 Proud To Be Dealing With My Debts!
    "Captain Jack Harkness! When will you learn that you can't solve every problem by shagging it?!"
  • hamish222
    hamish222 Posts: 716 Forumite
    Options
    Well have spent 45.99 of my budget already. But good thing is I have a months supply of loo roll (half price) in Somerfield and have enough meat in freezer to see me through to March so not too worried. Total includes a chippy though as was late home due to bad weather and could not be bothered cooking
    Yearly Grocery Budget - £100.77/ £3500. January Treats Budget - £11.80 / £100.
  • goldfinch68
    Options
    Pleased with how my habit of popping into Tescos at the end of the road instead of getting one big sensible shop has drastically improved! Yesterday we popped in for a bar of chocolate for the four of us on the way to enjoy a long walk in the park in the snow (fancied a treat but so what!). What a beautiful day, the sun was shining and the snow was glistening. Looks like the schools will be open today, but yesterday was just a lovely day.
    Slimming World: SD: 2.05.16 SW: 13st10lb
    Goal: 11st 10lb by my birthday in August

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family