Grocery Shopping budget thread

in Old Style MoneySaving
1.4K replies 171.2K views

Replies

• Hi,
    Our grocery budget has been around the £130 mark for a few months due to not having as much money coming in.
    I just wondered what others with the same budget were buying/eating?
    I'm struggling this month as there hast been as much YS on offer as there usually is and so I've run my freezer down a bit :(
    We shop in aldi every 2 weeks (ish), pop into local coop/morrisons to see if any good YS and eat veggie a couple if times a week.
    Generally we have;
    Jacket potatoes
    Mince based dish (chilli, pie, spag Bol,biryani)
    Chicken curry (if there's YS about or I've bought a whole chicken, usually once a month!)
    A frozen dinner i.e fish fingers/egg chips
    Lunches are usually HM soup or sandwiches.
    But I always get stuck after that! I split mince into 2 so sometimes we have 2 mince meals a week.

Just after some inspiration really as getting a little bored :(
    I'm also struggling a bit with my toddler as well at the moment getting him to eat what we eat and fairly healthily.
    I'm C, Mummy to DS 29/11/2010 and DD 02/11/2013

Overdraft PAID OFF
    CC PAID OFF
    GC Sept £141.17/200
  • Sausage & mash is cheap & cheerful, I make onion gravy to go with mine.
    Pasta in cheese sauce, fish pie made with frozen coley, 6 portions cost £2.50 & 2 would make a fish pie big enough for the 3 of you.
    Hester
    Chin up, Titus out.
  • craigywvcraigywv Forumite
    2.3K Posts
    buy eggs, potatoes , fruit, mince and flour ..........make mince pie and chips/mash, fruit pies, I tending to being going back to basics food and dropping the fancy currys etc as they don't seem to want to eat them here recently. more old fashioned food.
    C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z #7 member N.I splinter-group co-ordinater :p I dont suffer from insanity....I enjoy every minute of it!!.:)
  • tizerbelletizerbelle Forumite
    1.7K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    corned beef hash is one of my favourites and its one pot cooking:
    diced potatoes; chopped onion; diced tin corned beef; tin chopped tomatoes; tin baked beans; vegetable stock. Chuck it all in a large pan and cook for 20-30 minutes.

http://resourcefulcook.com/ has some good simple recipes and inspiration for varying budgets.
  • LilyplonkLilyplonk Forumite
    1.1K Posts
    Have you tried the 'diced turkey thigh'? As good as 'turkey breast' any day (actually has a bit more flavour) and works well in any dish that calls for chicken breast ie casseroles, curries, sweet chillis etc.

It's frequently found in whoopsie cabinets, so I grab a couple of them whenever I can get my hands on them.

Home made quiches are easy to prepare as well.

Turkey Mince can be made into low-fat burgers - add some sage and onion to it OR kidney beans & sweet chilli sauce when forming the 'patties'.
  • Thanks! Great ideas :)
    I LOVE sausages but DH won't eat them.. He doesn't like pork really.
    I made corned beef hash the other day and it was lovely!
    I'm C, Mummy to DS 29/11/2010 and DD 02/11/2013

Overdraft PAID OFF
    CC PAID OFF
    GC Sept £141.17/200
  • Have you seen a girl called jack website its full of fantastic cheap recipes I think I would be lost without it now she has a book out soon and I can't wait :)
    February GC £261.97/24 NSDS 10/12
    march 300/290 NSD 12/6
    ARPIL 300/ 238.23 NSD'S 10/3

• lineyliney Forumite
    5.1K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Meatballs and pasta.
    Omelettes with chips and/or salad
    Home made quiche - great for using up odds and ends of veg, ham, bacon etc
    Home made pizza.
    Home made burgers.
    Skewers are good to use up the last of some chicken with mushrooms, onion and peppers alternated.
    "On behalf of teachers, I'd like to dedicate this award to Michael Gove and I mean dedicate in the Anglo Saxon sense which means insert roughly into the anus of." My hero, Mr Steer.
  • Lasagne with salad and garlic bread
    Spag bol with garlic bread
    Savoury mince with Yorkshire puddings
    Chicken wrapped in bacon topped with cheese served with oven chips or mash
    Chicken with rice and a sauce
    Sausage casserole
    Cottage pie
    Chicken dinner (grilled chicken with veggies and roasties served with gravy)
    Soup and toasties
    Pies made with left overs

Often when bf is away I will have very basic things; pasta and cheese (sometimes with tuna or chicken and pesto), bacon and potato scones with beans

It can often seem like a lot of the same things but when I reflect on it we use offers to mix things up. Bf is fussy so that limits things anyway when he is at home.
    We shop in M's and Iceland with Asda used now and again too, we've also been restricted to a foreman grill, electric hob and combination microwave.

It really depends on your tastes and what offers you can make use of to bring a little variety - as well as what time you have at your disposal obviously
    Daughter born 26/03/14
    Son born 13/02/21
  • Lentils are a staple in our house. We have Lentil loaf, Dahl, Lentil soup, Lentil Pate, Lentil stew, Lentil Bake-not all in the same week obviously!:rotfl:
    I have got better at working out which recipes are economical and now have a ready made list of recipes to hand!
    Stashbusting 2019 - 230/300
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Gin, gee-gees & groceries

This week's MSE Forum highlights

Team Blog

2for1 adult tickets to theme parks

Via selected £1-£3 Kellogg's promo packs

MSE Deals