Grocery Shopping budget thread

in Old Style MoneySaving
1.4K replies 171.2K views

Replies

• Ps. Asda delivery is great, if you order smart price broccoli and it's sold out, they give you own brand for the cost of smart price. Their price guarantee is pretty great on delivery :)
    We spend money we don't have, on things that we don't need, to impress people we don't like. I don't and I'm happy!
    :dance: Mortgage Free Wannabe :dance:
    Overpayments Made: £5400 - Interest Saved: £11,550 - Months Saved: 24
  • chaplin1409chaplin1409 Forumite
    101 Posts
    Tenth Anniversary 10 Posts Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Hi
    I am a big lurker but wanted to post for advice. We are a family of 6, 2 adults and 4 children (12,11, 9 and 7). 1 avoids diary because of eczema (this has really helped) and mu eldest is a vege. How much is a doable budget for food a week. Im home so happily make in the day etc.

Thank you for any advice

Michaela
  • mardathamardatha Forumite
    15.6K Posts
    Hi - no doubt somebody more useful will be along to help with budget - but if it helps, when I had family at home I used cheap filler-uppers like home made soups and big pots of rice pudding semolina etc. Always make apple with crumble, custard or sponge. Make yorkshire puddings and doughballs. Use all the old tricks to fill up hungry families as I think the old times are coming back for us :(
  • meg72meg72 Forumite
    5.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    Have you had a look at the grocery challenge board.
    Slimming World at target
  • Only one suggestion really. When using mince for things like spaghetti bolognese, shepherds pie, chilli, lasagne. Add a small handful of porridge oats and red lentils in. You won't believe how much further it goes and you don't even notice any difference in taste.
    I got the idea from someone on here, sorry I can't remember who. Thanks though great idea.
    I,m sure you,ll have lots of people along to help and suggest soon. Good luck.
  • mamanmaman Forumite
    26.4K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    I wouldn't want to guess but I spend less than £50 for two adults. I would imagine that you wouldn't need to triple that though.

A bit more information would be helpful:
    • Do you have a big breakfast or is cereal/toast the norm?
    • Is it for all meals or do children eat at school?
    • What about OH?
    • If they have hot meals at school/work do you need to cook another every evening?
    • How do rest of family feel about eating veggie?
    • How worried are you about making it a very healthy diet?
    • Is money so tight that you have to have the lowest budget possible?
    • Do you buy lots of snacks on top of meals?
    • Is it purely a food budget or would cleaning materials, basic toiletries or alcohol be included?
    • What sort of range of shops do you have locally?
    • Do you have the time to shop around?
    • Do you have plenty of freezer space?
    I didn't mean to face you with a barrage of questions ;) but they're the sort of things you need to be asking yourself as they give a clue to where the money may be going and where savings could be made.
  • edited 16 November 2013 at 3:13PM
    thriftwizardthriftwizard Forumite
    4.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    edited 16 November 2013 at 3:13PM
    OK, I'm currently feeding an average of 6 adults, sometimes more, sometimes less. My food & cleaning stuff budget usually works out at about £80 p.w. spent at our local street market on meat, fruit, veg, bread, & cheese, plus an average of about £80 per month on tins, packets, cider (we are the cider drinkers, ooh arrh!) at L1dls &/or T&sco. Add in a little for the milkman and for the odd top-up of fresh food mid-week, plus a pound or so towards my twice-yearly trips to the Mill for flour, and it all comes to about £120 per week. This includes some packed lunches, though those of us who work from home eat leftovers & a lot of soup, and as you can tell by the use of the milkman & cider, it's nowhere near a cut-to-the-bone budget.

A number of our regular meals are meat-free, and a few are dairy free too although 3 of us generally avoid much contact with milk. We do a lot of baking and produce nearly all of our own eggs. And Monday & Tuesday's main meals will nearly always be "leftover" based from the weekend, and Thursday is always "eat-it-up" day with "anonymous scrap" pie or risotto! I am also feeding 4 cats (neither the cheapest nor the most expensive stuff, currently trying to wean them onto raw food) and two cockatiels as well as the chickens, whose diet is based on "mashed" cooked peelings etc.

I'd be sunk without the market, though; whenever I've taken paid employment outside the home, I've refused to work Fridays because I reckon my food budget would be shot to pieces if I had to buy everything in supermarkets!
    Angie

GC June 22 - plot lost!
    2022 Fashion on the Ration Challenge: 24.5/71

(Money's just a substitute for time & talent...)
  • Hi,
    We too have been egg/dairy free due to allergies for 20 years,and our food budget has been £400/month for the past few years despite being down to three adults in the house. It is more expensive, as you cannot as you know take advantage of cheaper foods, however by making everything from scratch at home you can save a bit. Do you have lots of recipes for baking/cooking? I'd be happy share some of ours if you wish. We live where there are no big supermarkets so have had to devise recipes just using dairy free marg, soya milk and normal household supplies.
    WCS
  • Well we are a family of 3 and not including alcohol we manage on about £50 per week for 3 adults and 2 cats. So I'd say to start on a £100 per week for a month and see how you manage. Do join the November grocery challenge!
    Annual Grocery budget 2018 is £1500 pa £125 calendar month £28.84 pw for 3 adults
  • Annual Grocery budget 2018 is £1500 pa £125 calendar month £28.84 pw for 3 adults
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Gin, gee-gees & groceries

This week's MSE Forum highlights

Team Blog

2for1 adult tickets to theme parks

Via selected £1-£3 Kellogg's promo packs

MSE Deals