Grocery Shopping budget thread

in Old Style MoneySaving
1.4K replies 171.2K views

Replies

• You might be interested in this.

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=1437561

It was started in 2009 so you might want to read it backwards :)
  • cbrown372cbrown372 Forumite
    1.5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    £35 a week.
    Its not that we have more patience as we grow older, its just that we're too tired to care about all the pointless drama ;)
  • I spend about 450-500 per month and am trying to get theis to nearer £400 ASAP that's for 5 of us and 3 cats with one child in nappies though
    Have a Bsc Hons open degree from the Open University 2015 :j:D:eek::T
  • LagoonLagoon Forumite
    934 Posts
    £40-45 for me. OH spends about £5 a week. We do separate grocery shops currently, but when I used to do the shop for both of us I'd be putting in an extra £5-10 to cover him for evening meals as the cost of meals for two vs. meals for one doesn't really work out that different.

So, I would put the total at £55-60 per week for two of us, but I'm not exactly 'typical MSE'!
  • storytimestorytime Forumite
    333 Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    I spend under £60 per week and that is for 2 adults ,a large dog, all toiletries including nappies for my dgs and a large Sunday lunch for all the family every week. I shop at Mr T, Ald1, L1dl, W1lkson, 1celand and buy organic free range meat from a farm.This figure also includes things I've already bought for Christmas, 6 bottles of wine when they were 25%off and liquors from 4sda for £13 each.
    I only buy certain things when they are on offer like Nescaf! cappuchino, my sleep easy herbal tea and Yorkshire tea. Otherwise it's value or supermarket brands.
    I make everything from scratch but do keep the odd 1celand £1 pizza in the freezer for emergencies.
    I don't spend my time travelling between all the supermarkets , I work next a MrT, 1celNd & Wilk. Go to L1dl at the weekend when I'm passing and visit A1di once a month when I have a voucher from the paper.
    My secret fantasy is having 2 men....
    1 cooking and 1 cleaning.
  • edited 16 August 2013 at 12:54AM
    ditsykitchenditsykitchen Forumite
    246 Posts
    edited 16 August 2013 at 12:54AM
    CAT££ wrote: »
    All

I am curious about how much other people spend on their weekly shop (inc cleaning products and toiletries). My OH thinks we spend too much, however, am inclined to disagree with him. I am, after all, the one who does the weekly shop. I shop around between Ald1, L1DL, Home Bargs & ASD4 to ensure I get the best bargains. The only thing I compromise on is free range chicken & eggs, and have to get mince from the butchers.

I can spend between £60-£90 pounds per week, depending whether or not I have stuff to use up in the fridge/freezer/store cupboard. There's only myself, OH & small dog. I could majority of meals from scratch, and make lunches for work etc.

I'd be interested to know what others spend, for peace of mind - and to show OH. :rotfl:

For the two of us, I spend £25-50 per week on food, cleaning products and other household stuff. This month I am attempting to get the monthly total down to £100. We do have a dog but his food costs £60 a month (he's a massive great dane), so haven't included that. We are veggie, which makes it cheaper, but as I have to eat gluten free I think it evens out (for example, a bag of gf flour is £1.70, instead of about 50p for value plain flour). We also only buy organic dairy products and free range eggs. I'd be interested to know what you usually buy in a week, maybe then we can help show you where you might be able to make reductions :D

Of course, the amount you're spending is by no means crazy, but most people (me included :o ) could cut back.

Edit: This is all scratch-cooking, as our dietary requirements mean we can't really buy ready meals :)
    October Grocery Challenge: £20.65/£150
    September Grocery Challenge: I lost track :o/£200
    August Grocery Challenge: £92.11/£100 :)
  • mamanmaman Forumite
    26.4K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    CAT££ wrote: »
    All

I am curious about how much other people spend on their weekly shop (inc cleaning products and toiletries). My OH thinks we spend too much, however, am inclined to disagree with him. I am, after all, the one who does the weekly shop. I shop around between Ald1, L1DL, Home Bargs & ASD4 to ensure I get the best bargains. The only thing I compromise on is free range chicken & eggs, and have to get mince from the butchers.

I can spend between £60-£90 pounds per week, depending whether or not I have stuff to use up in the fridge/freezer/store cupboard. There's only myself, OH & small dog. I could majority of meals from scratch, and make lunches for work etc.

I'd be interested to know what others spend, for peace of mind - and to show OH. :rotfl:

I reckon on about £50 per week on average depending on whether I'm eating from stores or adding to them! That's all meals for two adults (unless we eat out) but we don't have a dog. I cook from scratch with only an odd ready meal (2 a month?) for DH to ping himself if I'm out with girlfriends. All food, basic toiletries and cleaning stuff in that but not alcohol or eating out (that's the entertainment budget!;)).
  • Mistral001Mistral001 Forumite
    5.1K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    My shopping bill is £15-20 per week for me and one dog for groceries, toiletries, and cleaning products. Dog costs about £3-4 a week to feed.
  • Hello lovely OSers :wave:

Our little family is currently myself, DH, our little girl who is 15 months and our second child is due in March :j

I am currently reviewing all of our household expenditurewith a view to reducing our outgoings wherever possible in anticipation ofgoing on maternity leave and, hopefully, becoming a stay at home mummy afterthat :)

At the moment we are spending about £70 a week on food whichincludes cat food for our three moggies and nappies for the little lady. I justwanted some OS views on this level of spending for our size of family - toohigh, if so, how high? I should add it includes everything for packed lunchesfive days a week. I do cook from scratch as much as possible, although we areguilty of keeping a pack of chicken kievs and chips in the freezer just incase!:o:cool::p

Thank you in advance xx
    MFW :)
    [STRIKE]Mortgage 8.2.15 - [/STRIKE][STRIKE]£171,064.64[/STRIKE] Mortgage 1.5.2018 - £99,980.45
    Aiming to be MF 1.10.2020
  • Hi there,

I do not often post but thought I would let you know my weekly shopping is between 60-70 this covers two adults two teenagers two cats and two dogs. We do not have the most varied diets but we have plenty of veg (any meat is often bulked up with lots). I would say you are not too far out with nappies and all. I too always make from scratch and am always interested to find new cheap recipes. We have to work hard to make the pennies stretch don't we.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides