Barclays Bank (warning)

Options
Good Afternoon

I would like to warn anyone who is intending on opening a new current account with Barclays bank.

On the 14th of January I applied for a Barclays Additions current account online, I was give an automated decision which read, we will contact you in three to four working days with our decision.

I never heard anything, so on Monday the 19th I contacted Barclays and was told my application was under review Code (3).

The following day (yesterday) I phoned again and was told my application has been successful Code (1) and to go into any branch with I.D.

Yesterday I went into my local Barclays and was told I would need to see a P.B which I thought was a little strange.

The personal banker input my details into the system and asked me "How can
I help you today Mr. XXXXX"

To which I replied " I was told to bring in my I.D for a current account I applied for online, do you have a note of it on your system"

His reply " I can't see your application at this stage I need more details from you"

What followed was me basically me sitting in silence for 10 min’s whilst he messed around on his computer, Then he said "would you be interested in a premier account ££££££ 25.00pm", Me " No, I applied for an additions account"....

I was then asked for my signature for the banks records and was given a form to sign, which explained the benefits of the additions account.

Then the P.B said “I will let you know the decision within 48 hours"

Me” thank you ".

I then went back to work and phoned the Barclays new accounts number, and asked them “what is the status of my application" Advisor " Did you cancel your previous application and start a new one Mr xx?"

Me “No I went into the branch with my I.D to open my account"

To cut it short the personal banker in the branch cancelled my application and started a new one so he could take the credit for the additions account.

This just shows how desperate they are to hard sell, this whole episode is now under investigation with Barclays, and I am now left with two searches on my Experian file.

Comments

• Mike1989
    Mike1989 Posts: 222 Forumite
    Options
    Cash_Flow wrote: »
    Yesterday I went into my local Barclays and was told I would need to see a P.B which I thought was a little strange.

To cut it short the personal banker in the branch cancelled my application and started a new one so he could take the credit for the additions account.

This just shows how desperate they are to hard sell, this whole episode is now under investigation with Barclays, and I am now left with two searches on my Experian file.

Its not strange. I went into my local Barclays yesterday and asked at the counter to open a monthly savings account, they pointed me in the direction of a personal banker and that is who sets up the account, takes your ID and signature etc. So I guess it is no different than when I went into the Halifax with my ID for my student current account, as they told me to see a sales person.

Not surprising that a personal banker, not just in Barclays but any bank, would try and take credit for a sale as it gives them a bonus. However, if you went in with an already successful application and they canceled it, then that personal banker is in the wrong unless that person asked you if you would mind. As when I went into the Halifax with my cheque to pay money into a guarantee reserve account, they asked me if I woudl cancel that account and open one at this branch to help their sales. I said no, they paid the cheque in no problem.

It is not a good advertisement for Barclays. But this is just one person in one branch who did that. Doesn't mean all Barclays staff are like that, as those in the two branches I have been in, have been nothing but helpful. Especially those in my local branch who helped me set up the account I wanted and online banking via a current account. But all sales people can be like that, wanting the credit for a sale. But would a second successful check harm your experian record in any way?
  • book12
    book12 Posts: 2,557 Forumite
    Options
    Try to apply for products in branch insted of online. Branch is more quicker than doing it online.
  • Cash_Flow
    Cash_Flow Posts: 1,103 Forumite
    Options
    Mike1989 wrote: »
    Its not strange. I went into my local Barclays yesterday and asked at the counter to open a monthly savings account, they pointed me in the direction of a personal banker and that is who sets up the account, takes your ID and signature etc. So I guess it is no different than when I went into the Halifax with my ID for my student current account, as they told me to see a sales person.

Not surprising that a personal banker, not just in Barclays but any bank, would try and take credit for a sale as it gives them a bonus. However, if you went in with an already successful application and they canceled it, then that personal banker is in the wrong unless that person asked you if you would mind. As when I went into the Halifax with my cheque to pay money into a guarantee reserve account, they asked me if I woudl cancel that account and open one at this branch to help their sales. I said no, they paid the cheque in no problem.

It is not a good advertisement for Barclays. But this is just one person in one branch who did that. Doesn't mean all Barclays staff are like that, as those in the two branches I have been in, have been nothing but helpful. Especially those in my local branch who helped me set up the account I wanted and online banking via a current account. But all sales people can be like that, wanting the credit for a sale. But would a second successful check harm your experian record in any way?

A second search could have a negative effect on my credit rating. this is of course dependent on how my previous searches data is viewed by potential lenders, that said I have been told by barclays that if my complaint is proven to be valid the 2nd search will be removed.

I Respect your views and I too have experienced great service from various banks, but this experience from barclays has been shameful;)
  • Cash_Flow
    Cash_Flow Posts: 1,103 Forumite
    Options
    book12 wrote: »
    Try to apply for products in branch insted of online. Branch is more quicker than doing it online.

I don't mind how long it takes to open a bank account, I just don't like crooks:rolleyes:
  • Aegis
    Aegis Posts: 5,688 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I don't mind how long it takes to open a bank account, I just don't like crooks:rolleyes:
    Mistakes happen. I've accidentally done that before when opening an account, and it doesn't benefit me in the slightest because I get no bonus or credit for opening new accounts at all.

It sounds like it took longer than necessary, but it certainly doesn't sound like anyone's been a crook.
    I am a Chartered Financial Planner
    Anything I say on the forum is for discussion purposes only and should not be construed as personal financial advice. It is vitally important to do your own research before acting on information gathered from any users on this forum.
  • masonic
    masonic Posts: 23,342 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    book12 wrote: »
    The trouble is, applying in branch takes up a lot more of your time. Most people want to avoid that.
  • masonic
    masonic Posts: 23,342 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    It's doubtful anyone would be doing this deliberately. With a PB, you know exactly who to point the finger at when you make a complaint, so anyone gaming the system wouldn't last long.
    456789 Posts: 2,305 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    My story - I applied online for a basic bank account

Was told that I would be given the forms to sign and then to post them back to them - forms never arrived

Phoned them up and they said bring your ID into a branch - did this and the guy photocopied the stuff and told me that my debit card would arrive soon

It didn't arrive - so I phoned again and now they say it is 'awaiting local decision' so now I have to go back to the bank and see the manager!!

The most annoying thing is they never told me to take ID in or to go and see the manager I had to get this info myself by phoning them!!

I'll go in and see what happens if they mess me about anymore then meh not going to bother opening the account....
  • noah271007
    noah271007 Posts: 1,248 Forumite
    Options
    A second search could have a negative effect on my credit rating. this is of course dependent on how my previous searches data is viewed by potential lenders, that said I have been told by barclays that if my complaint is proven to be valid the 2nd search will be removed.

I Respect your views and I too have experienced great service from various banks, but this experience from barclays has been shameful;)

Hi cashflow. Having two searches in a short period of time WILL affect the credit score. I do feel this might be a mistake in part from the personal banker but i don't blame you at all being sceptical - P.B did it on purpose to get credit for selling a product.

It is ALWAYS much more practical and simpler to apply in person at the branch so that complications like your case has a less chance of messing up your application and credit file. I wish you best of luck in removing the search record, the onus is on Barclays to do the humble thing and apology for their mistake and inconvenience it caused you.
  • noah271007
    noah271007 Posts: 1,248 Forumite
    Options
    456789 wrote: »
    My story - I applied online for a basic bank account

Was told that I would be given the forms to sign and then to post them back to them - forms never arrived

Phoned them up and they said bring your ID into a branch - did this and the guy photocopied the stuff and told me that my debit card would arrive soon

It didn't arrive - so I phoned again and now they say it is 'awaiting local decision' so now I have to go back to the bank and see the manager!!

The most annoying thing is they never told me to take ID in or to go and see the manager I had to get this info myself by phoning them!!

I'll go in and see what happens if they mess me about anymore then meh not going to bother opening the account....

Why not you vote your feet and look elsewhere? First impressions are important, if they are not very good then perhaps you ought to look elsewhere. I, once, personally decided not to proceed opening a bank account a few years ago due to their poor first impressions and managed to get them to remove a credit search off my records due the fact the application never reached a decision. I had to be quick and request to cancel my application before the bank made a decision on whether to open an account or not.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure