Halifax mistake. What should I do?

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in ISAs & Tax-free Savings
2 replies 711 views
MOCHAMOCHA Forumite
270 Posts
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in ISAs & Tax-free Savings
I applied for the Halifax ISA Saver Direct account online in mid October and received a letter confirming the account.
In early January I wanted to add some money to the account to use up the £3000 allowance for the year and logged on to make a desposit. When checking the account details I noticed that the interest rate displayed was 3.65%, not the 5% I signed up to.
I called the Halifax and was told that they'd check the records and correct any mistakes. I've now received a very short letter confirming that they made an error which has now been corrected and will backdate the due interest.

The whole attitude seems to be:'never mind,mistakes happen' and I want to know if I should ask them for compensation for their mistake and the hassle they've caused me.
I appreciate this is not a catastrophic situation but it's irritating and I feel angry at their whole attitude.

Opinions please!

Replies

• grumblergrumbler Forumite
    54.3K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    MOCHA wrote:
    Opinions please!
    I don't like this American 'compensation culture' spreading here in UK now.
    What hassle are you talking about? One telephone call that was sufficient to get everithing sorted out?

When I was hit by a car while cycling (driver's fault) I only asked him to pay for my broken glasses and torn jeans, although I had minor injuries.

This is just my opinion ...
    We are born naked, wet and hungry...Then things get worse. :(

.withdrawal, NOT withdrawel ..bear with me, NOT bare with me
    .definitely, NOT definately ......separate, NOT seperate
    should have, NOT should of
    .....guaranteed, NOT guarenteed
  • mrbadexamplemrbadexample Forumite
    10.8K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Combo Breaker Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So, Halifax made a mistake which was resolved without loss to you other than the cost of a phone call?

Sure you should claim compensation, it must be worth 10p for the phone call. :rolleyes:
    If you lend someone a tenner and never see them again, it was probably worth it.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Students - apply for uni funding NOW

If you plan to get a place via 'clearing'

MSE News

A guide to council tax bands

Lower your band & save £1,000s

MSE Guides