Question about disabilities ????

Options
Can someone help me work this out?

If you have an illness from birth you are only entitled to income support so if your partner works it is like a noose round your neck.

Where if someone develops an illness after 2 years of work they are entitled to incapacity even if your partner works or not.

Is it me or does this make you think there are more people born with disabilities than people developed them after the age of 20yrs old and worked for 2 years.

I really don’t get this, what’s the crack.

So this is like discrimination against people born with illness.

My partner who is 21yrs old gets nothing other then £50, if I work because she has epilepsy from birth.

Comments

• GlasweJen
    GlasweJen Posts: 7,451 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    .If she's 21 she can apply for incapacity in youth

The last thread you started also had people suggesting that you look into this http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=1416967

Incidentally not all uncontrolled epileptics can't work, she could always try the disabled services at the job centre if you really want more money coming into the house. I say this as a sufferer of uncontrolled black outs who works with an uncontrolled epileptic, as we work in a group we don't need a carer 24/7 as someone in the group keeps an eye on us and the first aider is available on the end of a tannoy announcement.

If she can get a job for 16 hours she can get WTC with a disability element as well, hardly nothing available for the disabled. Yes there are lots of hurdles for disabled people but you can't say there's not money for them.
  • GlasweJen
    Options
    oh and incidentally me and my epileptic colleague just applied for our jobs as normal like normal people do, our reasonable adjustments were discussed after we were offered the job. People know what epilepsy is and tend to be quite supportive, try telling your work that you go clinically dead for a few minutes at random - believe me it raises some eyebrows.
  • robpw2
    robpw2 Posts: 14,044 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    also you can get dla for epilepsy ... non-means tested -no probs

its not discrimination you just are not trying to claim from the right pot

Slimming world start 28/01/2012 starting weight 21st 2.5lb current weight 17st 9-total loss 3st 7.5lb
    Slimmer of the month February , March ,April
  • GlasweJen
    Options
    they already get DLA, OP stated this in a previous thread.
  • tom9980
    tom9980 Posts: 1,990 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary I've helped Parliament
    Options
    I fell through the cracks of this system unfortunatey i began to get ill at 15-16years old so no NI credits (i had a job for the summer holidays) all i was entitled to when the claim was made for me at 18 was Income support for incapacity. Incapacity in Youth was not in affect then so i had no way to claim it, since then i met a partner and we moved in together now my partner gets student loans and because Income support is means tested i get nothing at all. So 2 people are having to live off student loans which is designed to keep one person in education and that they have to pay back.

What a wonderful system.
    When using the housing forum please use the sticky threads for valuable information.
  • GlasweJen
    Options
    but Tom surely you can claim DLA?
  • Oldernotwiser
    Oldernotwiser Posts: 37,425 Forumite
    Options
    GlasweJen wrote: »
    but Tom surely you can claim DLA?

And your partner can claim Adult Dependents Allowance.
  • tom9980
    tom9980 Posts: 1,990 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary I've helped Parliament
    Options
    From 1998-2002 i needed help to look after myself so was probably entitled to claim a Middle/low rate of DLA however we never claimed because nobody told us i was entitled to anything if you dont know how can you claim? its a problem in the system because at the end of the day when your ill the last thing you want to deal with is forms and medicals, never mind the fact i wasnt capable of doing them anyway. There needs to be more liason with doctors in this regard and to an extent it has happened but lots of people are missing out and dont know it. This is why i post here to help people and to learn more so that i can pass the information on as best i can to others so they wont have to suffer in the way i have at times.

Recently my health has got worse and i have just claimed DLA and im waiting for a decision its likely i am entitled to both lower rates the question is what will i end up.

As for the Dependants Grant despite asking about this and talking to the LEA and the DWP over a period of 6+ months (2 or 3 visits for advice to those agencies and 10+ phone calls) sorting this out for when we moved in together in October 2006 nobody mentioned this grant not once!. As soon as i found about about it last year we checked our entitlement to it and for some reason told we were not entitled to it cant remember why now, thanks for reminding me ONW we will apply again for her PGCE next year. Come to think of it i think it was rejected because she hadnt lived away from home for more than 3 years.

Right now my case is in the hands of a nice lawyer at CAB and they have spotted a lot of errors and noted lots of bad advice from those who are meant to help most of which is very complicated. He thinks they made mistakes right from the start of my original claim in 1998 so does think there may be a case for them changing my entitlement because they were at fault. I might add to some of my older threads when the situation is more clear but it does annoy me that the DWP can reclaim money from claimants for years if they find the claimant is at fault but that the DWP are almost immune to the reverse happening even when its their fault. It will be interesting to see how this turns out to be honest but of course it sucks that its happening to me.

Whoever said claiming benefits was easy?

Thanks for the concern and advice its always appreciated btw.
    When using the housing forum please use the sticky threads for valuable information.
  • minigirl762003
    Options
    robpw2 wrote: »
    also you can get dla for epilepsy ... non-means tested -no probs

its not discrimination you just are not trying to claim from the right pot

Just want to add that its not easy to get DLA with epilepsy. My hubby was recieving it, now they have reviewed his case and decided he isnt entitled. We are now on our 2nd appeal against this decision. They also stated in their letter to use that he was at NO risk of having a fit, fallin or hurting himself. WhenI phoned them Monday to inform them that he had had 2 fits Sat night they didnt care less.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Just want to add that its not easy to get DLA with epilepsy. My hubby was recieving it, now they have reviewed his case and decided he isnt entitled. We are now on our 2nd appeal against this decision. They also stated in their letter to use that he was at NO risk of having a fit, fallin or hurting himself. WhenI phoned them Monday to inform them that he had had 2 fits Sat night they didnt care less.

I suppose the question is how often does he have seizures and does he get any warning before them?Has there been any change since his last successful claim??
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure