We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Question about disabilities ????

Options
2»

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    Can someone help me work this out?

If you have an illness from birth you are only entitled to income support so if your partner works it is like a noose round your neck.

Where if someone develops an illness after 2 years of work they are entitled to incapacity even if your partner works or not.

Is it me or does this make you think there are more people born with disabilities than people developed them after the age of 20yrs old and worked for 2 years.

I really don’t get this, what’s the crack.

So this is like discrimination against people born with illness.

My partner who is 21yrs old gets nothing other then £50, if I work because she has epilepsy from birth.

I`m puzzled as this is your third thread on the same subject,whilst some situations are unfair this forum is for advice on benefits,not a discussion on the rules
  • Shaun_adams
    Options
    They only thing that I don’t like about all this after many phone calls was that fact that she has been ill since 13 and received dla short after.

She then claimed incapacity at 17 but was put on income support.

They are now telling me if I got it right she was entitled to incapacity from the start but because she applied for is 6 months later than 16 after she left college with her illness worsening, she was not entitled to it.

So all in if they don’t inform you and you claim after the deadline you have to work to get it back.

While this may be ok to some people, if you are very ill how do you have a chance of getting it back.
  • GlasweJen
    GlasweJen Posts: 7,451 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    You have to have been in education shortly before applying, if she was too late then she was too late. DWP recon that if you apply IB on or around the date you become incapable of work not 6 months later so in their eyes in the 6 months between leaving college and claiming IB your girlfriend was not incapable of work and so does not fall into the criteria for incapacitated in youth. This is further proved by the FACT that many people with epilepsy, narcolepsy, syncope and God knows what else manage to find work.
  • Shaun_adams
    Options
    But what you have to realize is that epilepsy can be no fits at all or in my girlfriend’s case 10-15 a week, mainly in the day time and late at night.

She has always been ill but was 50/50 at college which worsend, she never tried to get a job and was very ill and had to finish early.

She would like a job but with out 24hr care to and from work how would that work, I have phoned but the only available thing is courses and I don't think they would supply someone to care for her to, from and at work.

If I am wrong can you give me the details as you would be a great help.

Also what entitles here to incapacity in youth, how would someone born ill go to college in the first place if they where bad.

So how is anyone entitled to incapacity in youth if she is not.

Also she did not know she could claim anything other than dla till she was told, so how would she know she had a time limit from falling ill to registering for incapacitated in youth.
  • Oldernotwiser
    Oldernotwiser Posts: 37,425 Forumite
    Options

Also she did not know she could claim anything other than dla till she was told, so how would she know she had a time limit from falling ill to registering for incapacitated in youth.

Nobody "tells " you what's available, you have to find out for yourself. In the situation you describe it would have been her parents' responsibility to look at all the options for their daughter.
  • feelinggood_2
    feelinggood_2 Posts: 11,115 Forumite
    Options
    Perhaps I'm misunderstanding the IB in Youth Rules, but where does it say she had to go to college? I claimed IB in Youth by submitting sicknotes for a continous period of six months, one of which had to be a day before my 20th Birthday. I didn't have to go to college, and had been out of work (without sicknotes) for a few months before I found out about IB in Youth.
    Stay-at-home, attached Mummy to a 23lb 10oz, 11 month old baby boy.
  • GlasweJen
    GlasweJen Posts: 7,451 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    hi feeling good, you don't have to go to college but because the OPs girlfriend did go she would have to have applied soon after she left, because she didn't she is seen as having been able to work and so unable to claim incapacity.

OP i know exactly what epilepsy is like, i can have up to 40 blackouts a day (yes that's right, a day!) on a bad one so don't give me it.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 249K Travel & Transport