PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

The Preserver's Year

Options

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    ALI if you're not sure the Hawthorn Jelly will keep you could always sterilize the sealed jars in a water bath the same way as you do with bottled fruit. It's an old fashioned preservation technique but it works and it's what you do for long term storage of cordials etc. Hope that helps, Cheers Lyn xxx.
  • ALIBOBSY
    ALIBOBSY Posts: 4,527 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Might try that to see if it firms up a little.

My sloe and crab apple jelly tastes lovely and set well so that's going away in the stores. I added some mixed spice, cloves and cinnamon-not too much, but it made it smell and taste a bit christmasy so think we may have this with the turkey, although it may depend on how well the crabapple jellies turn out.

Went back to the same pace and got another bagful of sloes to use up.

Still not got the elderberries I wanted, but there is so much left to pick on the hedgerows here lol. May start picking ad freezing so I can get preserving later. Rapidly running out of jars anyway.

Ali x
    "Overthinking every little thing
    Acknowledge the bell you cant unring"

• Kevie192
    Kevie192 Posts: 1,146 Forumite
    Options
    Hi all,

I've made some pear and ginger jam today (it's delicious!) but I have a quick question about my jars...

One of them has sealed and the lid popped down but the others have not. Is this a problem?

I have a vacuum sealer and vacuum jar so I can suck the air out of there myself by only undoing the lid a little bit. Would you recommend I do that ?

Thanks,

Kevin
  • Kevie192
    Kevie192 Posts: 1,146 Forumite
    Options
    Anyone?

I used the vacuum sealer in the end, with the lids still on tight and it popped the lids down and they've stayed down... Did I do the right thing?!

Kevin x
  • torbrex
    torbrex Posts: 71,340 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post Rampant Recycler Hung up my suit!
    Options
    Sugar available in Poundstetcher for 69p/Kilo, that's the cheapest that I've seen it for a very long time.
    I am filling my cupboard for the year ahead :)
  • moments_of_sanity
    Options
    torbrex wrote: »
    Sugar available in Poundstetcher for 69p/Kilo, that's the cheapest that I've seen it for a very long time.
    I am filling my cupboard for the year ahead :)

Looks like I may be popping in there soon to grab some. Thank you :j
  • tessie_bear
    tessie_bear Posts: 4,898 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    made my first marmalade of 2014 today....seville oranges smell wonderful and their colour is lovely
    onwards and upwards
  • torbrex
    torbrex Posts: 71,340 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post Rampant Recycler Hung up my suit!
    Options
    I made Blackcurrant jam from frozen berries yesterday at this time, I had to pot it quickly before I started eating it :drool: :)
    The whole house still has the aroma wafting about when I move from room to room :D
  • tessie_bear
    tessie_bear Posts: 4,898 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    jam sounds lovely
    onwards and upwards
  • Gigervamp
    Gigervamp Posts: 6,583 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 22 January 2014 at 5:34PM
    Options
    My freezer is full of fruit waiting to be jammed. I've got blackberries, gooseberries, raspberries, tayberries, redcurrants, blackcurrants and sloes.

Unfortunately, I've been too ill to do anything with them. Could really do with freeing up the space they're taking up!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback