PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

The Preserver's Year

Options

Comments

• ditsykitchen
    Options
    I went out a couple of days ago to pick apples for cider making, but there weren't many left on the trees - looks like someone else had the same idea! What can I do with 20-30 small apples?
    October Grocery Challenge: £20.65/£150
    September Grocery Challenge: I lost track :o/£200
    August Grocery Challenge: £92.11/£100 :)
  • moments_of_sanity
    Options
    I went out a couple of days ago to pick apples for cider making, but there weren't many left on the trees - looks like someone else had the same idea! What can I do with 20-30 small apples?

I was hoping someone was going to answer this as I have apples left over and no room in the freezer! :eek:

I am about to try and make some blackberry jam, I have the jam sugar and blackberries, do I need to add pectin or will there be enough in the blackberries? Sorry, first year of jam making and no idea what I am doing! :o

Also, does anyone make tomato and chilli chutney, I have a large glut of tomatoes and some lazy chilli (the sort that you buy in jars), does anyone have recipes they would be happy to pass on?

Many thanks
  • annie123
    annie123 Posts: 4,256 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
  • sopranolmu
    Options
    My DD and I picked 3 kilos at the weekend, they are in the woods but on a footpath, it looked like no one had picked any. We must have left another 25 kilos worth:eek:

I have frozen them at the minute as I only have castor sugar and no pectin so until I get some pennies they will have to stay there. As soon as I am able I will be making blackberry jam :D

Oooh do you have a recipe for blackberry jam? Or does anyone? I love blackberries, but we're getting a bit bored of crumbles. hehe! No mention of blackberry jam in my jam recipe book! :eek:
  • moments_of_sanity
    Options
    sopranolmu wrote: »
    Oooh do you have a recipe for blackberry jam? Or does anyone? I love blackberries, but we're getting a bit bored of crumbles. hehe! No mention of blackberry jam in my jam recipe book! :eek:

In the post that Annie very kindly put a link to, there is a strawberry jam recipe, I do the same for blackcurrant but I don't put the lemon juice in mine :D
  • Rachyk
    Rachyk Posts: 38 Forumite
    Options
    I'm going to make my first attempt at chilli jam soon so am looking to buy a thermometer, there's some cheapish ones on amazon, but I'm not sure if they'll be any good though?! Does anyone have any advice for me to help with buying a good one? Is more expense worth it?
  • sKiTz-0
    Options
    I have never bothered with one. I find the spoon and plate thing more than adequate and works every time. Test for setting point by putting a small plate in the freezer, when you are ready then take it out and blob a small spoonfull of the jam from the pan on it and leave for a few seconds, then push it gently with your finger; if it has started to set a little and has a skin then you are good to jar it up.
    This is WAY more fun than monopoly.
  • suzybloo
    suzybloo Posts: 1,104 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Lakeland do a jam thermometer for around £7 I can recommend that one, however I would not recommend the one that is a probe, this one is clearer. I have had much better results using one. Good luck!

http://www.lakeland.co.uk/8776/Preserving-Thermometer
    Every days a School day!
  • ruis72
    Options
    I was hoping someone was going to answer this as I have apples left over and no room in the freezer! :eek:

I am about to try and make some blackberry jam, I have the jam sugar and blackberries, do I need to add pectin or will there be enough in the blackberries? Sorry, first year of jam making and no idea what I am doing! :o

Also, does anyone make tomato and chilli chutney, I have a large glut of tomatoes and some lazy chilli (the sort that you buy in jars), does anyone have recipes they would be happy to pass on?

Many thanks

I'm currently having a go at blackberry and chilli jam and the recipe recommends the use of pectin hth
  • thenanny2die4
    Options
    From the help I received on another thread, I would highly recommend the Elizabeth David recipe for Bramble Jelly, posted by Seakay. I had no idea it was possible to make jelly without a jelly bag or muslin but this was brilliant; just took a bit of time and effort.

I shall definitely use this method again for blackberries. :D

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4751376
    Avoiding plastic, palm oil and Nestlé
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family