Who can drawn up home extension plans?

Options
Hi,

I posted a thread a week ago about home extension plans. I was advised that Charted Surveyor and others are able to do this (i.e. not just
Architects).
I have contact several Charted Surveyor from the RCIS website and they are coming back to me saying they don't carry out architectural work.

Is it just that some do and some don't?

Is there anyone else cheaper (coulnd't think of a nicer/better way to put that - sorry to any Architects) then an Architect who is qualified to draw up plans?

Many thanks

Comments

• Mutton_Geoff
    Options
    It's not just drawing them but use of materials, structural issues etc that need to be taken into account. A decent architect charges will be a small percentage of the work you plan to carry out, why would you want to do it on the cheap?

Just think, when you come to sell, you'll happily pay an amateur in a suit and a flash car several thousands of pounds for a "service". An architect is much better value and well worth their salt.
    Signature on holiday for two weeks
  • bar_1
    bar_1 Posts: 166 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks for your reply.

I don't know a great deal about the construction/building trade and am just going on advise given to me.

I don't want to 'do things on the cheap' but I was advised that a Surveyour was qualified to do the plans and would cost less.
  • Mutton_Geoff
    Options
    It's such a broad field and your need just a small part of that, you would be better off finding someone by word of mouth or local recommendation. Presumably you'll need a building quote eventually so ring a couple of builders and ask who they have worked with in the past.

Once you get your drawings, then it's time to get the firm quotes in.
    Signature on holiday for two weeks
  • bar_1
    Options
    Good advice again.

I will try that route.

Thank you
  • fletch14
    Options
    I agree with getting someone recommended.

Sometimes proper Architects draw the WORST plans!!
    I'm a Building Inspector so I now all about bad plans :rotfl: & price isn't a reflection of quality!!

I'm based in the Northwest, if your based up this way by all means let me know & I could recommend someone (off the record of course!)
  • dipsy
    dipsy Posts: 3,137 Forumite
    Options
    fletch14 wrote: »
    I agree with getting someone recommended.

Sometimes proper Architects draw the WORST plans!!
    I'm a Building Inspector so I now all about bad plans :rotfl: & price isn't a reflection of quality!!

I'm based in the Northwest, if your based up this way by all means let me know & I could recommend someone (off the record of course!)

which area just around manchester or do you cover as far down as yorkshire?
    2007 £1749
    2008 £291.99
    2009 JanMasscara £7.00 Feb megcabot books x 2 £20 XFactor tkts x 2 £58.00 (couldn't go though as they only phoned on day :-( ) foundation £7.99
    total so far for 09 £92.99
  • andrew-b
    andrew-b Posts: 2,413 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    Some CHARTERED (spellin :)) surveyors will do this ...some won't. Oh and it's RICS if we're splitting hairs :) My Dad didn't offer them as a surveyor himself (he concentrated solely on building surveys) - though he drew up all his own plans for the many extensions on his own house! If you can't get a recommendation yourself then i daresay one of the surveyors you've phoned up already might know someone who can. Or ask a few builders for recommendations (probably a better way as at the end of the day it's the builder's who have to actually follow the plans!).

Andy
  • MX5huggy
    MX5huggy Posts: 6,854 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Try http://www.ciat.org.uk/

I am trying to become one!! We draw plans.
  • bar_1
    Options
    Hey,

I finding it difficult to get someone through recommendations. Although one of the surveyours I contacted has passed a number onto me so I will give them a try.

Thanks
  • 27col
    27col Posts: 6,554 Forumite
    Options
    When I built my house I drew up my own plans. I had to do quite a bit of reading about the subject beforehand. They were approved and we built the house using them, so I must have done something right.
    I can afford anything that I want.
    Just so long as I don't want much.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family