🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

16 year old nephew landed on us

Options

Comments

• NASA_2
    NASA_2 Posts: 5,571 Forumite
    Options
    cw18 wrote: »
    They can't be claimed if he's not in education though -- and ATM he's not, so the DWP are correct in what they're saying
    Anytime I had a query like that I told people what they might be entitled to if their circumstances changed. I didnt just say 'Your not entitled to that' and leave it at that - which is what seems to have happened here.
  • welshmoneylover
    Options
    Don't really have much to add but just wanted to say a big well done to you for taking him in. No doubt when he's older and earning some money he'll look back on this and decide his parents have put their current partners before him.
    I'd never pick my son over my partner and I'd never turf his sons out either

Sue
    Be happy, it's the greatest wealth :)
  • SomeBozo
    SomeBozo Posts: 1,195 Forumite
    Options
    There just happens to be a major recession atm, and this boy has no work experience so I venture to suggest that your 'remedy ' whilst well meaning I'm sure is somewhat facile.

You can save the indignant reply.

Suggesting the lad gets a job?!? Herecy.

Bozo
  • mariacallous
    Options
    Thanks very much for all the advice. We are going to have to work out what to do. This place is tiny, literally 1 up 1 down with a kitchen and a bathroom. He also doesn't really want to be here as it's remote and there is nothing for him to do. His father won't contribute either. The local farmers already have sons unemployed so there isn't any work for him within any distance he could reach by himself. We've told him there is no pressure and he can stay here as long as he needs to but I'm already finding myself tripping over him and then I feel guilty for wishing it wasn't my problem.

We can't take him to interviews either as I work 2 cleaning jobs every day and my husband works 8-5 monday-friday.

I guess we just have to grin and bear it for now and hope something turns up.
  • Bogof_Babe
    Bogof_Babe Posts: 10,803 Forumite
    Options
    I don't see how his father can arbitrarily decide he "won't contribute". The boy is still a minor, and you have been told you are not financially responsible for him, nor is he financially responsible for himself (otherwise one of you would be entitled to either child support or unemployment benefits).

I would go back to his father and insist that either he or the boy's mother make some sort of arrangements to support him, otherwise they could be charged with abandonment I would have thought.
    :D I haven't bogged off yet, and I ain't no babe :D

• scooby1001
    Options
    If you can't keep him with you the local council(or the local council where he was living) have a duty to house him. At 16/17 they would probably put him in supporting lodgings(room in a home with a family with support). My son went this route and it worked well for him and now at 18 he is in a unit for young adults with mental health problems. It was the best thing for everyone.
  • cw18
    cw18 Posts: 8,627 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Bogof_Babe wrote: »
    I would go back to his father and insist that either he or the boy's mother make some sort of arrangements to support him, otherwise they could be charged with abandonment I would have thought.
    I doubt they could be actually, given the lad isn't under 16.

I "invited" my elder son to leave home about 10 weeks before his 17th birthday (was going totally off the rails, and causing the rest of the family to be on the brink of collapse), and apart from a call from an official body (possibly DWP) to try and convince me to take him back there was no come back. Due to his age they HAD to find him accomodation, and also pay him some benefits.

He tried to find work, but was told by everywhere they couldn't/wouldn't employ under 18's -- he got the impression this was something to do with employers liability insurances.

In the end he joined the Army, and entered that a couple of weeks before his 18th. He's a totally different person now (it's just over 3 years since he moved out), but did admit while home over Christmas that if he hadn't got into the Army when he did he would almost certainly be hooked on something and have turned to a life of crime to pay for it by now -- apparently almost everyone in the various hostels he had rooms in were like that.
    Cheryl
  • Bogof_Babe
    Options
    Surely in the OP's case they should take into account that the house is overcrowded. Or I suppose they'd say a sofa in a living room can count as a bedroom :rolleyes: . I mean what if the OP only had chairs? Would they be expected to buy a sofa or guest bed?

Perhaps she should make him "officially" homeless by writing a letter telling him he has to get out by such-and-such a date. Then presumably the council would have to do something.

• cw18
    cw18 Posts: 8,627 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    That would indeed force the council into action, but as he's under 18 (and single and without a child of his own that he's responsible for 24/7) he'd be shoved into hostels.
    Cheryl
  • Bogof_Babe
    Options
    Any good contacting Shelter?

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 10 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing