16 year old nephew landed on us

Options
Hi

I apologise if this has been covered already but I can't see someone with the same problem

We have my 16 year old nephew here. His parents are separated, both have new partners and neither seem to want him so basically he was kicked out and he turned up on the doorstep last week. He has been here since. He doesn't work and he has had to leave college as we are too far away for him to get to the one he was attending.
So his position is he sleeps on our sofa (we have no children of our own and no spare bedroom). We've been to try and get him some money/jobseekers allowance whatever and the job-centre/ DSS have told us he can't have anything and we can't have anything to keep him. Neither me or my husband are familiar with how the benefits system works but what do they expect him to live on ?

He won't starve or be on the streets here but surely he is entitled to something ? He has applied for a few jobs and has interviews and hopefully will get one, but in the meantime what do we do ? We're not wealthy people and feeding an extra mouth and having to pay for him to get to interviews is already affecting us.

The CAB can't see us for 2 weeks so if somebody could give me some advice I would really appreciate it.

Thanks

Comments

• cw18
    cw18 Posts: 8,624 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Do you currently get any benefits? Particularly means tested?

Which parent was he with? If he was at college they would have been in receipt of Child Benefit and Child Tax Creidt (and possibly Working Tax Credit). They SHOULD have notified these authrorities that 1. he's no longer at college, and 2. they're no longer responsible for bringing him up. Until they do that I don't think you can add him on to any means tested benefits you may currently be getting.

If you suspect they've not notified the relevant authorities you can report them -- and this will lead to an investigation/the benefits being stopped.
    Cheryl
  • cw18
    cw18 Posts: 8,624 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Do you have a Connexions office by you? My younger DS registered with them when he ended up taking most of a year out of college (home situation meant he found things too stressful), and after a few months he started to get £30/week from there.... Not a lot, but it helped.
    Cheryl
  • Penny-Pincher!!
    Options
    If he is under 18 then he is still counted as a minor and social services could offer advice etc.

HTH

PP
    xx
    To repeat what others have said, requires education, to challenge it,
    requires brains!
    FEB GC/DIESEL £200/4 WEEKS
  • Hello,

Maybe it would be an option to contact a college or training facility that is more accessible to where you live.
    Many college's will have a January intake for some courses, particularly on industry schemes, plastering plumbing etc, He may still be in time to apply.
    If he chooses this option, he will get EMA-Education Maintenance Allowance of upto £30 per week. Once this happens, you could ask his parents, presumably his mother, to write to child benefit, and sign over the benefit to you- that is possible.
    If back in education you could then contact child tax credits, and see if that will also be payable to yourselves. 0845 300 3900
    If he was previously happy, well at least attending education, I would think that would be your best option.

Connexions would also be a good organisation to contact, they can be really helpful in finding a college place, and could pull a few strings, or could help with a training scheme or job vacancies,

http://www.connexions-direct.com

I'm sure your nephew will appreciate the stability you are able to offer him, if not now, then later in his life,

You deserve a big pat on the back, :T
    Well done

Munchie
  • Penny-Pincher!!
    Options
    Can he not get a job?
    To repeat what others have said, requires education, to challenge it,
    requires brains!
    FEB GC/DIESEL £200/4 WEEKS
  • mariacallous
    Options
    Hi

Thanks for the replies. Neither of us are on any benefits and have never claimed them so we are completely in the dark as to how to go about it.
    We both work full time on low paid incomes.

We went to Connexions first who then sent us to the DSS as he is no longer at college and there is no estrangement due to me being his blood aunt. The DSS have told us as I am a blood aunt we can't get any benefits for him at all

He was living with my ex sister in law, whose new partner has assaulted him on numerous occasions and my brother won't take him in as his new partner won't allow it. He stayed briefly with his mum's sister who then found out she couldn't get any child benefit or child tax credit for him, only and she said she simply can't afford to keep him so he turned up here.

He won't starve and he won't he homeless here and hopefully he will get a job soon but we live in the sticks without a good public transport service. I've given him my husband's bike so hopefully if a job isn't too far away, he will be able to get there himself
  • finnigan
    finnigan Posts: 147 Forumite
    Options
    Poor kid, well done for taking him in. Is there a college near you that could take him?
  • mariacallous
    Options
    finnigan wrote: »
    Poor kid, well done for taking him in. Is there a college near you that could take him?

We're going out tomorrow to have a look but nothing within 15 miles as we live in the Peak District.
  • Hello,

If you contact your county council, there may be a concessionary travel scheme, and he may get half price travel.

There is also the wheels to work scheme, which could provide a moped.

Both are worth a try.

Regards

Munchie
  • robin_banks
    robin_banks Posts: 15,778 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Can he not get a job?

There just happens to be a major recession atm, and this boy has no work experience so I venture to suggest that your 'remedy ' whilst well meaning I'm sure is somewhat facile.

You can save the indignant reply.
    "An arrogant and self-righteous Guardian reading tvv@t".

!!!!!! is all that about?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport