We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Anything & Everything New York (PART 2) - [please search thread before posting]

Comments

• M4RKM
    M4RKM Posts: 5,132 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Lobell wrote: »
    Having trawled the net endlessly today, I've just about settled on 3 nights at the New Yorker (early December) plus flights for £520 each for me and a friend.

It's several years since I was last in NY and I can't recall what we paid before so can anyone tell me does this sound like a good deal? We're hampered by having to travel from Belfast (preferably) or Dublin.

Thanks

It's not bad.... the hotel is not that good IMO, just double check the reviews on trip advisor, and if you're ok with them, then you should be fine.

M
  • Lobell
    Lobell Posts: 621 Forumite
    markymoo wrote: »
    It's not bad.... the hotel is not that good IMO, just double check the reviews on trip advisor, and if you're ok with them, then you should be fine.

M

Thanks. I've stayed at the New Yorker before so I know it's fairly basic but we've agreed that the quality of the accommodation isn't that important on this occasion and the location suits us. We're going for a 4 day shop-a-thon so the hotel room really will be just somewhere to shower, sleep and offload the shopping ;)
  • M4RKM
    M4RKM Posts: 5,132 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Yeah, it suits that, but, if you read what i say, a lot of the time, i complain about location.. Midtown is just soooo dull.... however, get yourself across to 9th Avenue in Midtown East.. , and there are some good bars around there... gotta give Rudy's a visit, for a beer and a free hot dog!!!

or head down a bit towards flatiron / chelsea, and there's good stuff around there too...

M
  • hieveryone
    hieveryone Posts: 3,846 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped! First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Hey everyone,

I've just booked to go to New York again next April, staying in the Staybridge Suites - has anyone stayed here before?

Thanks

Bought is to buy. Brought is to bring.
  • markymoo wrote: »

M

ah was nearly about to book the New Yorker as the reviews looked ok (but not great) but it seemed alot better than some of the other ones which complained of tiny rooms etc, in the end we paid an extra £50 and went for the Helmsley as its our first hol in yrs and first time in NYC so thought we'd live in a bit more luxury! Has anyone stayed here?

Apart from the obvious does anyone have any good tips of areas to hang out in, maybe away from the mass tourist scale, bars/restaurents etc?
  • greenface
    greenface Posts: 4,871 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee!
    which hemsley there is at least three . What do you want or like how old (ish) are you do you have kids . are you looking to shop and eat or wander and drink personally point your body in any directions and you will find things to see and do . Im from Merseyside and New Yorkers tend to do what i do best and thats talk non stop (although i was called Irish on more than one occasion)get into the local scene and find a good bar or restaurant thats busy but not mad, smile and get chatting then you can find out where best to go next stop or next night.Thats my philosophy for anywhere when away (was in newquay wales and asked as we went from pub to pub to foody only to find the best place to go was the boozer we are staying in ) (good night though) (full of welsh though) (good lookin sheep though) (apart from dai's had a limp)(wasnt very fast)

dont knock the new yorker that much it isnt that bad Friends stayed there recently and it is iconic to new york hotels covered in history and has been through a upgrade from the seedy days of new york past
    :cool: hard as nails on the internet . wimp in the real world :cool:
  • pcg2001
    pcg2001 Posts: 1,406 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    niceday999 wrote: »
    Hi, going to new york 4th March 2010 for 5 nights. can anyone recommend a nice hotel. thinking somewhere central maybe midtown east ? if not why not ? and where to stay then ?.....want to be handy for the subway as plan to see as much as possible... and do the shops etc.... dont want to spend anymore than around £500 to £550 per room per couple for the 5 nights..... should i wait and just keep looking...even if i know what hotel to go for that would be half the battle. want somewhere nice....thanks
    also transfers from New ark to nyc .how easy is it ? or should we just get a taxi for 4 of us ?

hi niceday, I know you have received some feedback and suggestions, but I would like to add that you check the hilton website for the hilton family hotels. I was able to grab back in april a 140usd deal for the hampton inn times sqaure north for august, and not deal has so far beaten this one (with free breakfast and free internet). For your dates there are 160usd rates plus tax, which is about 100 gbp plus tax.

if you are willing to book a nonrefundable rate why not try the friends and family rate at intercontinental hotels:
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=1535105&highlight=holiday+inn+friends

I plugged in your dates and got 122 usd for holiday inn express fifth avenue. It also has free breakfast, and I think internet. This is a GREAT rate, since it should be 329 according to the website.

Hope this helps.
  • Dinah93
    Dinah93 Posts: 11,463 Forumite
    First Post Third Anniversary Bake Off Boss! Combo Breaker
    For anyone who has previously been to New York, would you reccomend going at any particular time of the year? We're thinking about going soon, but don't know when!
    Debt January 1st 2018 £96,999.81
    Debt September 20th 2022 £2991.68- 96.92% paid off
    Met NIM 23/06/2008
  • hieveryone
    hieveryone Posts: 3,846 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped! First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    I lived in New York for a while and experienced a summer and a fall there. I wouldn't recommend the summer, it's too hot and 'moggy' in the city, and downpairs are frequent to clear the air. The fall was much cooler, with the air feeling a lot crisper, and cleaner, too.

Bought is to buy. Brought is to bring.
  • Dinah93
    Dinah93 Posts: 11,463 Forumite
    First Post Third Anniversary Bake Off Boss! Combo Breaker
    Thanks hieveryone, we were considering sometime between September and November probably so that sounds promising!
    Debt January 1st 2018 £96,999.81
    Debt September 20th 2022 £2991.68- 96.92% paid off
    Met NIM 23/06/2008
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 345.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 251K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 451K Spending & Discounts
  • 237.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 612.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 174.3K Life & Family
  • 251K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16K Discuss & Feedback
  • 15.1K Coronavirus Support Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.