Upgrading Barclaycard Gold

Options

Comments

• PJHilder
    PJHilder Posts: 155 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Well I got the original card while at uni. Just a plain student barclaycard. When i graduated last year i called to tell them and they said they'd change me to a graduate card. I didn't get a new gold card, reduction in interest rate or a limit increase. Not much of an offer imo.

Paul
  • mughal
    mughal Posts: 124 Forumite
    Options
    Hi
    I have the Barclays Master Card, can i apply for the Barclays Platinium card without closing the Master card.

mughal
  • CTT_2
    CTT_2 Posts: 403 Forumite
    Options
    mughal wrote:
    Hi
    I have the Barclays Master Card, can i apply for the Barclays Platinium card without closing the Master card.

mughal

I used to have a gold card then they upgraded me to Visa plat and then offered me the Mstercard. So I now have two plat cards from them.
  • CIMA_LOVER
    CIMA_LOVER Posts: 162 Forumite
    Options
    CTT wrote:
    I used to have a gold card then they upgraded me to Visa plat and then offered me the Mstercard. So I now have two plat cards from them.

CTT what are your APRS? How did you get the Mastercard? Is it PLATINUM?:money:
  • CTT_2
    CTT_2 Posts: 403 Forumite
    Options
    CIMA_LOVER wrote:
    CTT what are your APRS? How did you get the Mastercard? Is it PLATINUM?:money:

Sorry just eeen your message. Yes I have two Plat cards as stated. However the Visa I have has a balance transfer on that 2.9 percent until it is paid off. If I used the card (which obviously I wont because of the bof) the apri would be 17.9 percent and the same on the Mastercard.

It was a while ago but I think they justo ffered it to me.

Hope some help..
  • CIMA_LOVER
    CIMA_LOVER Posts: 162 Forumite
    Options
    CTT wrote:
    Sorry just eeen your message. Yes I have two Plat cards as stated. However the Visa I have has a balance transfer on that 2.9 percent until it is paid off. If I used the card (which obviously I wont because of the bof) the apri would be 17.9 percent and the same on the Mastercard.

It was a while ago but I think they justo ffered it to me.

Hope some help..

Are the card the new design?
  • markquinton
    markquinton Posts: 51 Forumite
    Options
    I emailed Barclaycard about lowering my APR or upgrading my account to the Simiplicity card as otherwise 'I may be forced to take my business somewhere cheaper' and the reply I got was identical to the one posted previously:

"Dear Mr Quinton,

Thank you for your email.

Simplicity is a new product that we are currently trialling and is only available to new customers. However, this does not mean that you, as an existing Barclaycard customer, have to lose out: We offer very competitive Balance Transfer rates for existing customers (currently 6.9% for the life of the balance). From time to time you might also receive promotional balance transfer offers from us through the post, which are worth looking out for.

Also, I have forwarded your e-mail for reduction in interest rate, to the relevant department who
    should contact you in 7 days.

I hope that this information will help you.

As a valued customer of Barclaycard, I hope that this will not deter you from using our services in the future.

Kindest regards

Arpitha Rao (Miss)
    Customer Account Manager
    Barclaycard Online Service"

Awaiting the reply but I'm almost guarenteeing that they won't be able to match the APR of the simplicity card even tho I've had the platinum card for over 3 years, only requested a credit increase once and never defaulted\been late on a payment.:(
  • nickmack
    nickmack Posts: 4,435 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    This isn't to do with just credit limits, this is not the only criteria Barclaycard use in this 'upgrade'. Amongst other criteria, they assess your card usage and time with company. Most of the checks are geared towards whether they think by giving you a Gold/Platinum card you wll feel 'special' and continue your custom with them.

Barclaycard Gold/Platinum cards used to have some good benefits, they used to be a status symbol for some to show how much money they earn. Now the fact is that virtually anyone with a half decent credit history can get a Gold/Platinum card and the benefits are vastly inferior. Even the normal APR on these 'prestigious' cards isn't very attractive unless you get a low or no APR BT offer.
  • PJHilder
    PJHilder Posts: 155 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Well they've given me Gold card but only reduced the rate by 1%. :-(
  • KTF
    KTF Posts: 4,820 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    So whats the point?
    Some people actually think others care about the colour of the plastic they carry about with them I guess.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure