RMA Debt Collection Agency

Options

Comments

• sanfrancisco
    sanfrancisco Posts: 645 Forumite
    Options
    simple thing is.. pay your debt. or go bankrupt and get the fook of our system
    :spam:

This sums up this guys intelligence perfectly...yes everybody get off their system, then this idiot won't have a job. Do you ever look beyond the end of your nose??? NO people in debt... NO JOB FOR YOU. Congratulations! Good luck signing on, and trying to feed yourself on a tiny income. I hope you don't get into debt. No, that doesn't sound like you. Afterall, only idiots get into debt, don't they? You really should try getting out more. Ever been travelling, do you know there's a whole world out there???
  • Xbigman
    Xbigman Posts: 3,884 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    You have to wonder at the motivation of someone posting a single time who works for a debt collection agency. In all fairness its not a bad post with some good information in it *BUT* its written purely from the DCA workers perspective. Sure a DCA will want to deal over the phone, they would be mad not too. If you speak to a DCA on the phone you have no time to consider your replies and no record of what was said, whilst the DCA employee has all the numbers on a computer screen in front of them, has been trained to say just the right thing and they can get a recording of the conversation when they want it, whilst they can lose a recording when they don't. Now if you are a debtor working over the phone is a nightmare. You have no records, you're under pressure and you can easily agree to things you later realise you can't actually do. I've come to arrangements on the phone and then not been able to read my own handwriting and paid the right amount on the right date to the wrong creditor. And thats when I actually had a pen by the phone.

Now I realise there are honest respectable people working for DCA's but I know from experience that people in that sort of commision/target based enviroment are pushed very hard and even the respectable ones can fall into the habit of bending the rules. The ones who start out dishonest learn to break the rules immediately.

My brother has worked in sales for BT (entire team he was in were sacked for signing their relatives up and taking commision, then they left and signed up again a month later), Telewest (he sold our disabled father a TV/phone package for 9.99 that was actually 12.99) and now he works for british gas selling gas and elec supplies and knows every trick in the book to rubbish other companies and hide figures, like quoting competitors prices with VAT and BG's without. He doesn't like doing any of those things but he tells me that you have to do them to get the commision and if you don't and everyone else does, then you just look rubbish.

Its the same with a lot of DCA's. So sorry to debtcollector but I don't trust you or your company, and no one else should either.
    Regards

X
    Xbigman's guide to a happy life.

Eat properly
    Sleep properly
    Save some money
  • jcragg
    jcragg Posts: 21 Forumite
    Options
    This sums up this guys intelligence perfectly...yes everybody get off their system, then this idiot won't have a job. Do you ever look beyond the end of your nose??? NO people in debt... NO JOB FOR YOU. Congratulations! Good luck signing on, and trying to feed yourself on a tiny income. I hope you don't get into debt. No, that doesn't sound like you. Afterall, only idiots get into debt, don't they? You really should try getting out more. Ever been travelling, do you know there's a whole world out there???

when did he say that
  • nr2711
    nr2711 Posts: 2 Newbie
    Options
    Can i put to you then as an RMA Worker, why is that I have offered to pay £180 a month off my loan (as this is all i can afford and is what i agreed in my original terms of my £7500 amex loan over 60months) over the next 24 months ( i have cleared £3k already) AND I offered to pay more each month when i can ( christmas bonuses from work etc, my payment history with RMA wil show that when i have hd extra cash i have made additonal payments more the the current agreed amount) which would clear my loan in full including charges ( and i advised her if my financial situation changes in near future i will pay off as much as i can- i don't want to be in debt and am paying as much as i can each month) and the girl on the end of the phone said..we need to have the full amount in 3 months as they cannot keep debt forever...to which i understand but i am offering a reasonable solution and gurantee that loan will be cleared in 24 months or less! why is this not acceptable to RMA? I CALL RMA EACH MONTH TO KEEP THEM POSTED OF MY SITUATION AND YET EACH TIME I CALL SHE TELLS ME THAT NO THERE IS NO RECORD OF MY LAST CONVERSATION...APPARANTLY RMA SWITCH ACCOUNTS AMONGST STAFF SO SOME DECENT STAFF UPDATE FILES AND OTHERS (MOST) DO NOT. I will definatley start confirming my phone calls with RMA via letters (including copy of phone bill as proof ) and wil including a postal of £1 requesting a reply with outcome..this will be the only back up that i have.

i am stumped at how you people think... your in debt. your going to receive calls. your going to be spoken to in a 'forcefull' attitude. many of you people have been in debt for a very long time before a company such as 'RMA' get involved, i.e. barclays, MBNA (or whoever it is,) their debt collection agency then a third party such as RMA. you broke the terms and conditions of your credit agreement. which means balance in full within 30days (if you cared to read before signing). so if you cant pay it then you need to keep in touch and make arrangments for repayment.... you know your in debt so when someone calls stating that theyre wanting to speak to you regarding a 'PERSONAL FINANCIAL MATTER..' you think...mmm i owe money to lots of people sooo who could it be. you dont just hang up or speak to them like theyre something you just stood in. after all its not our debt. we sleep easy knowing that our money on payday wont be swallowed up by over due bills.

subject of calls and letters

RMA only call after sending letters out 2 days before (yes we are a telephone based company letters are computer generated, what cannot be discussed over the phne that can be in a letter?). so you should already know why we are calling. so 'they' on the other end of the phone have to presume your ignoring the matter (which most of YOU do!) when you give excuses not to speak. We are people too, we dont need abuse from debtors. ok i know theyre are some people who take calls too far i.e telling the debtor that RMA will send a door to door collector round (yes RMA deal with door to door collections by the way) . but this isnt a threat this is what will happen if you continue to ignore RMA's calls. or lie to us saying that theyre another member of their family... we've heard it all before... mmm like hanging up on us straight away is gunna help your situation.

the best thing for you to do is to discuss the matter like an adult, answer all questions as honestly as you can.. decline to answer questions you think are too personal and explain why. we need to know your income and outgoing in order to justify your token payments (which we usually ask for the inc/exp over the phone)... then we will set up an arrangement for up to 3 months with a desired method of payment (preferably debit card payments as less can go wrong). with first payment due within first 7 days of that very call. if you fail to do any of above then further calls will continue on any numbers we hold. if you dont want to be called at work then supply an alternate contact number. but i must warn that if contact is not reached on the new number within a couple of days then we have to resort to calling you back at work. as questions need to be asked about authenticity of repayment.
  • Turning_into_scrooge
    Options
    Harassed wrote:
    They're breaking the OFT guidelines by doing that. Phone or drop a line to your local Trading Standards.

Harrassed

Would you know if this rule is also covered in Northern Ireland as i received a card through the post from a Loan company ( cant remember the name at the mo) in Belfast saying i had to phone them urgently as they had a new service they said would be of interest to me:confused:
  • Toto
    Toto Posts: 6,680 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I've just been reading this thread about DCA and their behavior and I agree they are by and large scum. The bit that is really bothering me right now though is this. I realise I got myself into debt, I signed credit agreements with various companies and I owe them money and hand on heart I don't mind busting my !!! to pay that back. What I do mind is someone else profiting from other's misery and behaving like they are holier than thou in the process.

Now if what I am reading is correct, the banks sell the debt for next to nothing to these DCAs who then collect not only the full amount but rack on a whole heap of trumped up charges into the bargain. I have a loan which was 18k I paid £4200 back in repayments with no payment protection and the DCA want £19500. Now even on an interest only basis that deal sucks. I do want to pay back my debts to the people I borrowed the money from, I don't want to line other peoples pockets, especially when they can't even be gracious in the process. It almost makes bankruptcy appealing LOL

Obviously I don't get a choice in the matter, I have to pay the amount requested by the DCA. If nothing else it all makes me feel a lot stronger when I have to deal with these people. I may be scum in their eyes for being in debt but I could never stoop so low to make a massive profit out of other people's pain. And they of course will say they are only doing it for the benefit of the creditor!
    :A
    :A
    "Everyone is a genius. But if you judge a fish on its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid" - Albert Einstein
  • Just spent some time reading through this interesting thread - particularly the unbelieveable contribution from "debtcollector" - I was the collections manager for a large motor hire purchase company in a former life and can look at things from both sides of the fence. I agree with the concensus that DCA's are parasites living off the back of both finance companies and debtors - please don't be afraid of them - the operatives are poorly-paid call centre workers with only basic training and hardly any knowledge of OFT guidelines and the CCA. After all we've been told about phishing it seems bizarre that they think they can get results by making unsolicited telephone calls and then asking for security details - you don't know who these people are! - DON'T TELL THEM YOUR DATE OF BIRTH, MOTHERS MAIDEN NAME, FIRST LINE OF YOUR ADDRESS OR ANYTHING - do everything in writing - this means you can gather your thoughts and if anything legal happens you have a record. The bottom line is that to get money out of you, they have got to take you to the County Court - ignore, but make a note of, threats, lies or offers from them. I have recently had a run in with MBNA and had twelve phone calls in one week from their agent Global Vantedge Incorporated of New Delhi. After the first one, I got myself sorted and started to have some fun with them - they will ask you to go through security with them (please remember this is an INDIAN CALL CENTRE) refuse - but ask for their name - over the past few days I have spoken to "Sabrina Scott", "Kevin Jones", "Don D'Costa", "Scarlett Adams" and lastly "Edna Phillips" - in my vast experience of life I have never met an Indian called Edna. Ask if this is their real name and tell them you are recording the conversation on behalf of the OFT - generally the end of the conversation. YOU SHOULD NOT GIVE ANY INFORMATION TO SOMEBODY THAT IS BLATENTLY LYING ABOUT THEIR NAME After two days silence I was phoned by "Mark Jones" (brother of the above??)of RMI - who didn't even bother to ask for any security details but told me he was ringing to "get me out of trouble". I explained the OFT debt collection guidelines to him about at least establishing you are speaking to the correct person and he concluded the call by saying "does that mean you are refusing to speak to me?" Yes, mate.
    Once again don't be afraid of DCAs - the worse that can happen is court action and from attending hundreds of these as a collection manager even this isn't too bad - my experience is that the district judge generally hates banks and finance companies, particularly those that don't bother to turn up for the hearings (he will know the worse offenders) and will do a lot to help defendants with genuine financial problems. I hope this is of some use - keep up the good work.
  • rog2
    rog2 Posts: 11,650 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I am pleased to see this thread back, as it serves to remind us all as to what we are up against (Debt collector)!!
    Does anyone at these DCAs really think that we all go into debt intentionally?
    Do they really think that the solution is more debt?
    Come on - get real. One day you might be in our position!
    I am NOT, nor do I profess to be, a Qualified Debt Adviser. I have made MANY mistakes and have OFTEN been the unwitting victim of the the shamefull tactics of the Financial Industry.
    If any of my experiences, or the knowledge that I have gained from those experiences, can help anyone who finds themselves in similar circumstances, then my experiences have not been in vain.

HMRC Bankruptcy Statistic - 26th October 2006 - 23rd April 2007 BCSC Member No. 7

DFW Nerd # 166 PROUD TO BE DEALING WITH MY DEBTS
  • bikerqueen
    bikerqueen Posts: 427 Forumite
    Options
    rog2 wrote:
    Does anyone at these DCAs really think that we all go into debt intentionally?
    Do they really think that the solution is more debt?

I imagine some people do. or at least arent savvy enough to have a lightbulb moment and attempt to do something about it. We were in that position, living WAY beyond our means and ignoring the huge debts we had - we owed the money but didnt want to change lifestyles to pay it back.

You've seen threads on here from people asking how to get away without paying debts back (not may, but they exist) the debt collectors deal with that every day - how do they distinguish between someone with a genuine problem paying and someone like we used to be who didnt want to ditch the lifestyle to pay the debt?
  • rog2
    rog2 Posts: 11,650 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    bikerqueen wrote:
    I imagine some people do. or at least arent savvy enough to have a lightbulb moment and attempt to do something about it. We were in that position, living WAY beyond our means and ignoring the huge debts we had - we owed the money but didnt want to change lifestyles to pay it back.

You've seen threads on here from people asking how to get away without paying debts back (not may, but they exist) the debt collectors deal with that every day - how do they distinguish between someone with a genuine problem paying and someone like we used to be who didnt want to ditch the lifestyle to pay the debt?

I accept, of course, what you are saying, but there are two points:

1. Some DCAs, and I include RMA, appear to be more intent on selling you more debt (High interest - secured against property) than trying to help you.

2. The attitude that comes across, especially from posts like Debtcollector, is that we are all a bunch of dishonest people. It is NOT their position, or right, to stand in judgement.

When we are in debt, as you know, we are in a fairly vulnerable situation and do not need the one sided attitude that they are always right.
    I am NOT, nor do I profess to be, a Qualified Debt Adviser. I have made MANY mistakes and have OFTEN been the unwitting victim of the the shamefull tactics of the Financial Industry.
    If any of my experiences, or the knowledge that I have gained from those experiences, can help anyone who finds themselves in similar circumstances, then my experiences have not been in vain.

HMRC Bankruptcy Statistic - 26th October 2006 - 23rd April 2007 BCSC Member No. 7

DFW Nerd # 166 PROUD TO BE DEALING WITH MY DEBTS
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport