Just downloaded McAfee and now won't let me connect to internet??

Options
HI

Just downloaded McAfee from the freebies thread but now it won't let me access the internet, coming up with error message "Internet explorer has encountered a problem and needs to close". I've tried turning off all the security settings which hasn't worked, I tried to uninstall it but it's still there and I don't know what to do.
I've managed to get access to internet via BitComet but can't access through my normal channels.

Can anyone help?????

Comments

• DatabaseError
    DatabaseError Posts: 4,161 Forumite
    Options
    persevere with the uninstall option, it might be free, but it's rubbish!
    having not use mcafee for 10 years or so, I can only suggest you look at opening a hole in the firewall for your browser (making your browser a trusted app?!)
    Utinam logica falsa tuam philosophiam totam suffodiant.
  • cfbc
    cfbc Posts: 292 Forumite
    Options
    Yeah, likewise.. Hate mcflee....

Sounds like a bad install, corrupted, de-install it using the offcial uninstalling method (start-settings-control panel) and uninstall...

If that fails, what version of Windows you using?

You could do a system restore which will restore your PC to before mcfee was installed.... Try the above first and lets us know.. ;)
  • aliEnRIK
    aliEnRIK Posts: 17,741 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Mcafee is awful
    Uninstall using the uninstall tool
    http://service.mcafee.com/FAQDocument.aspx?id=TS100507

Then download either AVAST or AVIRA

If your on XP id also recommend PC TOOLS FIREWALL
    (All software on download.com)
    :idea:
  • JVRMac
    JVRMac Posts: 212 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    The uninstall option has gone all I have is McAfee and McAfee shredder. I have switched off the firewall but it's still not allowing me access. It is allowing me access to MSN messenger service and BitComet but nothing else.

Any idea how I completely uninstall this and restore my previous settings???

Cheers
  • aliEnRIK
    Options
    Surely its in the uninstall programs part? (Start, Control Panel etc)
  • thomas01155
    thomas01155 Posts: 2,366 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Go to Control panel then add and remove programs and it should be on the list. Then after installed Avira Antivir http://www.filehippo.com/download_antivir/ or Avast http://www.filehippo.com/download_avast_antivirus/
    Need to do the avast registration if you go for avast http://www.avast.com/eng/home-registration.php to get your license key
  • valencias
    valencias Posts: 48 Forumite
    Options
    I had the same problem yesterday after downloading the McAfree.

Having tried the usual unistall, re-install suggestions I had to call an computer repair man out.

£50 later, we are up & running.

Somewhere in the process, he thinks the last microsoft update was 'uninstalled' & also we had a virus. He put one care on & everything seems to be working now.
  • aliEnRIK
    Options
    valencias wrote: »

Having tried the usual unistall, re-install suggestions I had to call an computer repair man out.

Somewhere in the process, he thinks the last microsoft update was 'uninstalled' & also we had a virus. He put one care on & everything seems to be working now.

One Care is almost as bad as mcafee!
    Still, cheers for the info.
  • cfbc
    cfbc Posts: 292 Forumite
    Options
    aliEnRIK wrote: »
    Surely its in the uninstall programs part? (Start, Control Panel etc)

Have to say I had this about 6 months ago on my fathers PC after he had done an update.. It was a NIGHTMARE to remove totally and a few days later I had to use a restore point alhough the site you linked with the removal tool on it (scroll down/up) may work better....

As long as the user is happy with onecare, each to his own, personally I like Nortons 2008 (hate 2009 version) and Sygate firewall, but this debate could go on for a while and not help get mcflee off the system... :D

Try the removal tool linked by alienrik and see how that goes.... ;)
  • knowledgepower1
    Options
    valencias wrote: »

I could have installed Avast or Avira for you for £20 :D
    You can't keep a good man down...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family