We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Debt Relief Orders (DRO) - Information & help thread

Options

Comments

• Orville
    Orville Posts: 1,900 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    wba31 wrote: »
    Approvals are automated providing there is nothing in the forms that could cause a problem, they will then request information from 3rd parties during the moratorium period, and if anything comes to light they will then revoke the order.

Oh ok many thanks for that. I thought the moratorium period was for the creditors to have a period to object to the persons dro and provide reasons for the objection. I did not realise they did checks on car valuations etc too. 
  • astra_man
    Options
    Ok thanks guys, I wasnt saying i would withold it, was just asking how they find these things out.
    As I said, I signed over the car to my sister, so I dont think I am the legal owner/registered keeper, I am just paying the loan agreement that I have.
  • Orville
    Options
    astra_man wrote: »
    Ok thanks guys, I wasnt saying i would withold it, was just asking how they find these things out.
    As I said, I signed over the car to my sister, so I dont think I am the legal owner/registered keeper, I am just paying the loan agreement that I have.

Play it by the book. If you didn't and got found out the DRO would be revoked.
  • wba31
    wba31 Posts: 2,189 Forumite
    Options
    astra_man wrote: »

If you are just lending her the car you just need to put it down as your asset still - and wait for it to be worth less than £1000 (check on parkers). if it is older than 51 plate it should be ok, and use the private valuations, not trade or anything like that.
  • emweaver
    emweaver Posts: 8,419 Forumite
    Options
    After contacting CCCS the suggested soluion was a DRO. It said in the booklet not allowed assets over £300. I have no savings etc but our DD has about £2000 in a childrens bond from xmas and bda cash and regular savings we made before we got in a mess. Can she loose this if we go for a DRO?

Also it meantions vehicles must notbe worth more than £100 I think our car is worth £1200 again where would I stand with this?

thanks in advance
    Wins so far this year: Mum to be bath set, follow me Domino Dog, Vital baby feeding set, Spiderman goody bag, free pack of Kiplings cakes, £15 love to shop voucher, HTC Desire, Olive oil cooking spray, Original Source Strawberry Shower Gel, Garnier skin care hamper, Marc Jacobs fragrance.
  • Orville
    Options
    emweaver wrote: »
    After contacting CCCS the suggested soluion was a DRO. It said in the booklet not allowed assets over £300. I have no savings etc but our DD has about £2000 in a childrens bond from xmas and bda cash and regular savings we made before we got in a mess. Can she loose this if we go for a DRO?

Also it meantions vehicles must notbe worth more than £100 I think our car is worth £1200 again where would I stand with this?

thanks in advance

It' 1k on cars. Do a parkers valuation and use the poor condition quote for your cars valuation.
  • emweaver
    Options
    Orville wrote: »
    It' 1k on cars. Do a parkers valuation and use the poor condition quote for your cars valuation.

Oops I knew it was £1000 missed off a 0 :o
    Wins so far this year: Mum to be bath set, follow me Domino Dog, Vital baby feeding set, Spiderman goody bag, free pack of Kiplings cakes, £15 love to shop voucher, HTC Desire, Olive oil cooking spray, Original Source Strawberry Shower Gel, Garnier skin care hamper, Marc Jacobs fragrance.
  • emweaver
    Options
    Car is 2001 so parkers wont value it for free, dont suppose thers a free site out there?
  • fatbelly
    fatbelly Posts: 20,805 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Cashback Cashier
    Options
    emweaver wrote: »
    Car is 2001 so parkers wont value it for free, dont suppose thers a free site out there?

Try wisebuyers
  • astra_man
    Options
    mine is an 04 plate, doubt that will lose much value soon.

How bad do my debts have to be to be in a DRO, like defaulted etc?
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure