Las Vegas thread and MSE guide 2009

Options

Comments

• photome
    photome Posts: 16,363 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Bake Off Boss!
    Options
    The Bellagio Fountains
    Froggitt wrote: »
    Just done a comparison VS against my December rental w CH3000 for a Compact with Platinum for 9 days - CH3000 comes out £30 cheaper.
    Those virgin prices are not bad but on my comparison, 16 days all inc on a dodge charger CH3000 are £50 cheaper
  • tingtong
    tingtong Posts: 580 Forumite
    Options
    As the price for car hire seems so cheap (£106 / wk), I am now thinking of booking a car for our April trip. Previously, I've only picked up at hotels, is it much hassle (and does it take ages ?) to collect from the airport ? I presume you collect the car off-airport, like where you drop-off. The advantages I can see from collecting at LAS are saving a $20 taxi fare and they would also have more choice of vehicles, in the event of any problems.

Thanks in advance.
  • Froggitt
    Froggitt Posts: 5,904 Forumite
    Options
    The Fremont street experience
    We were only people on the bus to the rental depot, and then noone in front in the Thrifty queue. No hassle at all.
    illegitimi non carborundum
  • jackieblack
    jackieblack Posts: 10,318 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    The Bellagio Fountains
    Can anyone tell me how much the rollercoaster at New York New York costs to ride please?
    2.22kWp Solar PV system installed Oct 2010, Fronius IG20 Inverter, south facing (-5 deg), 30 degree pitch, no shading
    Everything will be alright in the end so, if it’s not yet alright, it means it’s not yet the end
    MFW #4 OPs (offset): 2018 £866.89, 2019 £1322.33, 2020 £1337.07,
    2021 £1250.00, 2022 £1500.00, 2023 £1500
    Target for 2024 (offset) = £1200, YTD £460
    Quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur
  • photome
    photome Posts: 16,363 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Bake Off Boss!
    Options
    The Bellagio Fountains
    Can anyone tell me how much the rollercoaster at New York New York costs to ride please?

Dont think it will break the bank;)

$4 off here http://www.destinationcoupons.com/Nevada/Las_Vegas/Activity_NYNY_Rollercoaster/Rollercoaster.asp and I think I have seen 2 for 1 maybe in the ACG or LVA

Just to add I like rollercoasters, but have decided I prefer woooden ones, the NYNY is so rough, it is a boneshaker
  • Froggitt
    Froggitt Posts: 5,904 Forumite
    Options
    The Fremont street experience
    Gondola ride at Venetian is $16 each ;)
    illegitimi non carborundum
  • nvh
    nvh Posts: 1,652 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    The Bellagio Fountains
    :rotfl: nice one stoneman! fair enough :D
    nuts - i'm not much help here... but i'm pretty certain it was approx. $15 OR $7 last time we went... ( 8 mths ago?)

bit of a difference i know, but reason i can't remember exactly is we had a BOGOF coupon given to us because we were staying @ NYNY

one thing i do remember is thinking it was rather expensive if we had to pay full price! it ain't the longest ride in the world!... --- so $15 each?

[edit]I was right with my first price (well closer anyways!!) - $14 according to this: http://offthestripdining.blogspot.com/2008/08/nyny-manhattan-express.html

[edit2] more here with people moaning about the cost! : http://las-vegas-hotels.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g45963-d107655-r23171854-Manhattan_Express-Las_Vegas_Nevada.html -- definitely get a coupon for it else you'll feel ripped off! (though its one of those things you feel you have to do!) :D

[edit3] this is coming from the same guy who seems insistant to visit 'the Minus 5 bar' at Mandalay Bay (and get fleeced for the privilege :D)
    http://www.minus5experience.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=45&Itemid=42&location=lasvegas

(costs approx $30 EACH for half an hour (max) - but you do get warm clothes and a free drink!) :) pay them some more and they'll take a picture of you! (no cameras allowed!) :D
  • ferf1223
    ferf1223 Posts: 8,935 Forumite
    Options
    The Bellagio Fountains
    photome wrote: »
    the NYNY is so rough, it is a boneshaker
    Agreed - did it in 1997 and 2001...both times had massive head/neckache the rest of the day...have now sworn off it!
    Does remembering a time that a certain degree of personal responsibility was more or less standard means that I am officially old?
  • ferf1223
    Options
    The Bellagio Fountains
    tingtong wrote: »
    As the price for car hire seems so cheap (£106 / wk), I am now thinking of booking a car for our April trip. Previously, I've only picked up at hotels, is it much hassle (and does it take ages ?) to collect from the airport ? I presume you collect the car off-airport, like where you drop-off. The advantages I can see from collecting at LAS are saving a $20 taxi fare and they would also have more choice of vehicles, in the event of any problems.

Thanks in advance.

It's usually pretty quick, though we have Dollar Express which makes it that much quicker as they'll already have printed out my contract so I just have to go to the booth at the lot, sign it, and grab my car - I can skip standing in any queue upstairs...we do like picking up when we arrive as then we know we have the car and can get out and about early the next morning if we want...it does save the taxi fare and you will have a bigger choice of vehicles as you say...only downer is sometimes after a long flight you just want to get to the hotel and get a shower but we still prefer to pick up upon arrival. The shuttles are pretty frequent though we have waited 20 minutes for one once, usually it's 10 mins or less and usually not very crowded...it's nicer than in the old days as all rental companies have one shuttle rather than shuttles for each company...so you don't have to watch 10 shuttles for other companies go buy, then your company go by full. :)
    Does remembering a time that a certain degree of personal responsibility was more or less standard means that I am officially old?
  • ferf1223
    Options
    The Bellagio Fountains
    For those who have done Valley of Fire - from what I can tell looks like about an hour's drive give or take...how long did you spend exploring? We're not big hikers, but we would normally drive around a bit and stop for lots of photo ops...just not sure how much time to expect to spend there for planning purposes...I know it's a pretty relative thing, but just to have a ballpark would help. Any other tips greatly appreciated too!

I think someone (pebbles?) once said sunrise or sunset would be great times to be there so may look into sunrise depending on just how early a start that would be!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure