Pay As You Go Advice From A Phone Salesman!

As a phone salesman my comission varies with different networks, however when it comes to Pay as you go phones there is not much difference and therefore i gain so much more satisfaction from saving the customer money. This is therefore just a little advice from me if you are looking to buy a PAYG phone from a shop which offers more than 1 network (phones4u, carphone warehouse, the link). Most phones of which a shop offers on contract and pay as you go are UNLOCKED. So why pay £30 more for a phone because you want it on a specific network when the cheaper version is unlocked!?!?!? Current phones which fit the bill include the Samsung J700, Sony ericsson W595, Samsung u800. There are loads, when you go into the shop ask them to check whether the phone is unlocked, they will be more than happy to use a demo sim card to check. If it is unlocked then buy it on the cheapest network you can find.

Also for all of you PAYG fanatics there is fantastic VALUE FOR MONEY to be had out of the "sim only contracts" which are available on most networks apart from virgin and 3 i believe. The word contract scares a lot of people off but you can CANCEL AT ANY TIME with NO OBLIGATION. i.e. for £20 on some networks you can get 600 minutes (anytime, any network) and unlimited (3000) texts. Now work this out with me:

600 minutes @ 35p = £210
3000 texts @ 10p = £300
Total = £510
You pay = £20
Saving £490 p/m

You can keep your number the only thing is you provide your own phone, but if your making a saving of £490 a month im sure you can afford one. The monthly bill is direct debited from your account and is definitely worth a look at. Any questions feel free to ask and i will do my best to help out!!!

p.s. i know its irelevent but im proud to say i knocked £450 off my car insurance renewal this year... Thanks martin!!! :D

Comments

• pingu
    pingu Posts: 1,467 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    bit off topic

why mobile companies not giving PAC over thr phone now?

is this legal?

thanks
    Honesty is the best policy doesn't matter which web site
    you are on!

if i had known then what i know now!

a bargain is only a bargain if you really need it!
  • thanks op! my partner is looking for a new phone + dosent want a contract :>
    ;)
  • Anon
    Anon Posts: 14,545 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    pingu wrote: »
    bit off topic

why mobile companies not giving PAC over thr phone now?

is this legal?

thanks

Three still do? Phoned last week and they sent by text.

Anon
  • loopy_lass
    loopy_lass Posts: 1,551 Forumite
    can i ask, im looking for a new phone, had samsungs for last 3 phones, fed up with them breaking. screens usually go or they crash.

im fancying a sony ericson, i really use it for camera and battery life, any suggestions for around £100???

thanks loops
    THE CHAINS OF HABIT ARE TOO WEAK TO BE FELT UNTIL THEY ARE TOO STRONG TO BE BROKEN... :A
  • ArsenalFC
    ArsenalFC Posts: 1,095 Forumite
    loopy - have a look at this link some half price sony - http://shop.orange.co.uk/shop/show/offer/discount?handset=2&position=0

Good advice OP. Btw Virgin and 3 do have sim only contracts.

# Just to add although you have good intention, where your figures for savings are wrong because it is only savings
    if compare like for like sim only contracts from one network against the next.
  • maman
    maman Posts: 28,572 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    I'm a bit out of my comfort zone on this board and don't want to ask questions that have already been answered. Perhaps ArsenalFC or someone else knowledgeable would offer me some adviceor point me in right direction.

I have a PAYG mobile (really cheap LG, about £40 a couple of years ago) on TMobile. I use it very little indeed (about 5 texts a day and maybe 1/2 calls on average). I do use it sometimes to text from Europe but those charges are coming down. I top it up about £10 month and credit lasts indefinitely (friends tell me that's not the case with all PAYG phones). I need a new phone because the battery won't hold its charge on my current one. TMobile tell me that cost of new battery is similar to cost of new phone (?). I very much want to keep my existing number.

I tried following link on here to a comparison site and it was quoting hundreds of pounds (£300/600) for my sort of usage whereas currently I'm paying about £120 plus cost of handset. I don't need anything fancy as I have landline, PC, camera etc.

Ideas please?
  • ArsenalFC
    ArsenalFC Posts: 1,095 Forumite
    Buy a new battery from ebay, I have not check but it should be at a guess less than £5 for most battery. Or if you fancy a new handset then get one, many retailers are having a sale on some phones (orange, cpw, tesco etc) - £50 can get very decent phones, put your T-mobile sim into your new handset if it's unlocked. Or it cost £5 to unlock from most market stalls/shop.

So basically get a new battery for you phone or get a new payg handset and put your current sim in it.
  • Wortle
    Wortle Posts: 143 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Hope this makes MSE newsletter

Forget a battery on ebay. I have just got a brand new Bluetooth phone for £10

I have just bought the Nokia 2630 on virgin whose call costs are competitive, from phones4u @ 19.55 for phone plus £10 payg. My orange sim works in it so presume other will. If you go thru Quidco you get £10 back too...so at worst a new phone and 10 airtime is £30, at best £20. You could look around for a long time to beat that.
    When you have the new phone you have a chance to line up something else. other networks are on this offer but calls or phone costs make them not such a good deal

http://www.phones4u.co.uk/shop/shop_payg_details.asp?itemkey=178260&mpitemkey=184445

• Also for all of you PAYG fanatics there is fantastic VALUE FOR MONEY to be had out of the "sim only contracts" which are available on most networks apart from virgin and 3 i believe. The word contract scares a lot of people off but you can CANCEL AT ANY TIME with NO OBLIGATION.

Things to note with the above:

a) you must provide 30 days cancellation notice (don't just cancel your DD - it'll get you into trouble if you have outstanding bills).
    b) you are credit checked for this.
    c) you can't always get a 'limit' set on the line. Therefore you can rack uo large bills as with all mobile contracts if you're not careful!
    d) you often get better deals if you go straight to the manufacturer's website - especially on pay-monthly & sim-only (not including cashback offers/free gifts in this example).
    e) NO OBLIGATION is not quite right! you don't have a set contractual term other than the 30-day disconnection notice. Other than that, your 'obligations' are exactly the same as under any other contract as you are actually agreeing to one!

f) - the above offer by the OP is a very good thing to consider for saving money. definitely best value for people who spend more than a £10er a month.

proplusplus
    Information provided is offered as a guide, and should not be deemed to be 100% accurate/correct. Please verify with the appropriate company/legislation for confirmation. Always seek verification to ensure you do not encounter future problems!
  • loopy_lass
    loopy_lass Posts: 1,551 Forumite
    thanks, but i forgot to say i need o2 network, and are se any good?

loops
    THE CHAINS OF HABIT ARE TOO WEAK TO BE FELT UNTIL THEY ARE TOO STRONG TO BE BROKEN... :A
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure