He wants an iPhone [rolls eyes]

Options
Earlier this year we splashed out and bought a MacBook, like the neighbors. They now have an iPhone each - which makes sense as they have their business to run. He reckons it will improve the family diary organising and he will only have to carry the one thing instead of a phone, diary and iPod. I am not convinced.

I'm no luddite, however, why complicate life with another gadget to learn? I reckon we wouldn't get full use of the thing anyway. To make most sense we would both have one to synch. That means 2 new phone contracts (leaving behind one exceptionally cheap pay up front deal I have).

Why do I have to feel the bad one just because he wants another toy that he can really live without, and that we have better things to save up for - like replacing the leaking loo! He works very hard and does more than his fair share at home so I don't want to begrudge him a treat, but this feels just too much and unnecessary. We have a young family, luckily money isn't tight, however with the economy being so uncertain it feels so wrong being frivolous.

Are you the nagging wife holding the purse strings? Do you begrudge your wife telling you how to spend your hard earned? How do others feel about this?

Does anyone know if the iPhone is going to have an upgraded version coming in the next couple of years so I can persuade him to hang on until then?

:rudolf:
Nuts just take up space where chocolate ought to be.

Comments

• Marty_J
    Marty_J Posts: 6,594 Forumite
    Options
    MacRumours advises against buying the iPhone at the minute, as there should be an update soon:

http://buyersguide.macrumors.com/#iPhone

There's also the Pay & Go version to consider, starting at £342.50, with a year's free internet access on it.
  • MikeyMacbeth
    Options
    Marty_J wrote: »
    MacRumours advises against buying the iPhone at the minute, as there should be an update soon:

http://buyersguide.macrumors.com/#iPhone

There's also the Pay & Go version to consider, starting at £342.50, with a year's free internet access on it.

There may well be an iphone nano released soon - however , as with all things apple it will hardly be a bargain!

Disclosure: I will readily confess to being a geek of the 1st water, and have an iPhone 3g myself, but even when I force myself to be as subjective as possible it is simply the best phone I've ever had (and yes like a true apple fanboi I early adopted and tied myself into a ridiculously expensive contract as a result)

To get back to the original question however, there's a few questions you need to ask yourselves:-
    • Can you afford it? (that's an MSE question with a really simple answer if your answer is no...)
    • Do you have easy wifi access at home and also out & about? - 3g is much faster than edge, but you'll still feel the difference - dont expect web browsing to be as fast as on your broadband at home/work.
    • Don't kid yourself these are ready yet for the corporate market if you were thinking you could use them for work stuff - most companies won't support them in the way they would Blackberrys.. still a "toy" in serious IT security eyes
    • Apples keynote speech is on (I think) Jan 5th or 15th 2009 - hang on until at least after then and check the Register, Mac Rumours etc for a hint of pricing plans for a new iPhone Nano (maybe) - the price of the phone is usually irrelevant - do the sums for the cost of the contract!
    • If you decide - check network coverage for where you live/work - borrow a friends phone on the same network and actually see how many bars you get rather than trusting the online or network operators stuff! - that's all based on theory and can well be wrong due to local conditions eg trees!)
    Yes, you can live without an iPhone/latest gadget of your choice - personally I used to buy every gadget going, age and experience has taught me that they will always be superceeded by something better/cheaper, and I would have been far better spending/saving the money elsewhere. Now I resist the temptation in the main (family man now...) but do reserve the right for those gadgets that really really stand out as being useful for me - the iPhone is for me, but I did give it a hell of a lot more thought than I would in the past...you and SO have to be realistic and definitely not buy it as as "status" symbol, but as a tool to be used.

So sit down and do the sums, check the specs/reviews and make sure it (they?) will be useful to you - there's not many of us now can casually lock in to a £35+/month contract for 18 months.... (= £630+ plus contract handset upgrade fee)
  • Lakeuk
    Lakeuk Posts: 1,084 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    Keeping up with the Jones ;)

Not convinced on the improving the family diary, as I understand as well as the phone subscriptions you may also need to pay upto £90 a year for MobileMe in order to sync things like calenders etc...

How about giving him an old fashion diary and challenge him to use it for a year on the understanding if he does then he can buy a iphone next xmas which will probable be a new model although the Jones next door will just buy the latest chelsea tractor and how will you keep up with that ;)
  • M4RKM
    M4RKM Posts: 5,132 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    you do NOT need to pay for MobileMe to sync things. the iPhone syncs perfectly fine when plugged into a computer...

MobileMe gives you over the air syncing, so you can sync everything quickly, much like exchange activsync.

and, a lot of companies that I know of, are supporting iPhones in the same way as BlackBerries, mainly because the bosses are wanting iPhones, and the techies have to just jump!

M
  • Stompa
    Stompa Posts: 8,348 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    He reckons it will improve the family diary organising and he will only have to carry the one thing instead of a phone, diary and iPod. I am not convinced.

Nor me, sounds like a 'pretend' excuse to buy a gadget!
    Stompa
  • frugallass
    frugallass Posts: 2,320 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    He reckons it will improve the family diary organising and he will only have to carry the one thing instead of a phone, diary and iPod. I am not convinced.

hmmm, the weight of those three items must really make his shoulders ache and take up so much space in his briefcase !

Seriously tho, it would be great if it's something you can easily afford / justify but if he just wants to keep up with the Jones' then it's not a necessity in my opinion.
  • samhale
    samhale Posts: 413 Forumite
    Options
    F*ck the contract, jailbreak the iphone
    Which doesn't remove the contract????

AFAIK it's not that simple anyway?
  • M4RKM
    M4RKM Posts: 5,132 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    today is new years eve, the rumours are that there is an unlock iPhone 3g, so it should be simple, if you have one with older (non 2.2) software on

i bought an iPhone for my sister about 2 weeks ago.. it still came with old software on, so payg, and unlock? tempting eh!

M
  • Minxy_Bella
    Minxy_Bella Posts: 1,948 Forumite
    Options
    I'd pay double what I do for my iPhone. It is incredibly useful in every aspect of my life. Love it! Let the poor man have one! lol
  • Marty_J
    Marty_J Posts: 6,594 Forumite
    Options
    He could always just get an iPod Touch, which is like an iPhone without the phone or GPS. It's a good bit cheaper, and might satisfy his urge to have a shiny new toy.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure