fiesta cutting out

Options
:-( I have an N reg Ford Fiesta and recently its been stuttering and shaking when I slow down or brake, sometimes even cutting out. I've not driven it for a few days as I cant risk an accident however it starts fine.

Any ideas what this is? :confused: I was thinking of calling the breakdown people out so I could get an idea of what it is and get a quote from a garage?

Comments

• Barneysmom
    Barneysmom Posts: 10,123 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    When was it last serviced?
  • TiTheRev
    TiTheRev Posts: 3,215 Forumite
    Options
    Fuel starvation? Vacuum pipe split sucking too much air? Throttle valve stuck open or closed?
    :A Luke 6:38 :A
    The above post is either from personal experience or is my opinion based on the person God has made me and the way I understand things. Please don't be offended if that opinion differs from yours, but feel free to click the 'Thanks' button if it's at all helpful!
  • Barneysmom
    Barneysmom Posts: 10,123 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    My fiesta hated the cold weather, much preferred it when it was quite hot outside, I'd have to up/down the idle speed in different weathers.

It does sound like fuel problem though I know I've seen this when the air filter is very dirty.
  • secretspender_2
    Options
    I bought it last month and believe it was last serviced in August.

So, um, what do I say to the garages to get a quote without sounding too thick....?
  • TiTheRev
    Options
    Damp distributor? Dodgy leads? Poor service history would certainly contribute, if applicable?
    The above post is either from personal experience or is my opinion based on the person God has made me and the way I understand things. Please don't be offended if that opinion differs from yours, but feel free to click the 'Thanks' button if it's at all helpful!
  • TiTheRev
    Options
    I bought it last month and believe it was last serviced in August.

So, um, what do I say to the garages to get a quote without sounding too thick....?
    Say the idle is sporradic and has cut out when slowing down, it will give them a base to start investigation but is a fairly broad statement so dont expect a 5min diagnosis...
  • secretspender_2
    Options
    ok, will phone some now and see what they say....
  • 2_litre
    2_litre Posts: 108 Forumite
    Options
    :rolleyes:
    your idle speed control valve needs cleaning/replacing
  • jeannieblue
    jeannieblue Posts: 4,761 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    2_litre wrote: »
    :rolleyes:
    your idle speed control valve needs cleaning/replacing
    Very bold diagnosis!

It could be, it might not. Better let someone look at it, drive it etc etc. Recommend avoid main stealers.

May just need a good service and some plugs. Could be a number of things...

Petrol or diesel???
    Genie
    Master Technician
  • TiTheRev
    Options
    Very bold diagnosis!

It could be, it might not. Better let someone look at it, drive it etc etc. Recommend avoid main stealers.

May just need a good service and some plugs. Could be a number of things...

Petrol or diesel???
    You had to get that in there didnt you :rolleyes:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure