Back Date Jobseekers

Options

Comments

• NASA_2
    NASA_2 Posts: 5,571 Forumite
    Options
    It was never under doubt that there is a form to claim backdating on, for Jobseekers, I would bet my house that you are unsuccesful.

If it was me making the decision I would simply change the name and national insurance number on the countless previous disallowances of people who were ignorant of the rules rather than being misinformed.
  • deb0020
    deb0020 Posts: 191 Forumite
    edited 7 May 2009 at 12:49PM
    Options
    Just some general advice for anyone trying to claim backdating of JSA

The JSA5 is the correct form to apply for backdating. This form is dealt with by two sections of the JobCentre.Firstly by the Jobcentre itself (where you sign on). All they look at is if you were available for and looking for work over the backdating period. If so, they normally allow it. However all they are allowing is credits.
    The form is then referred to a decision maker at the processing centre (where they actually pay the benefits). The decision maker decides if you could have claimed earlier. Unless there is an amazingly good reason for not contacting the Jobcentre earlier by phone,letter or in person, they will DISALLOW the backdating.
    As stated earlier misdirection is sometimes accepted as a good reason.
    Being too busy looking for work is NOT a good reason.
    Being unable to get to a phone is not a good reason (unless you were in a come in which case you should be claiming ESA)
    Being unable to get to the Jobcentre is not a good reason

Applying for backdating CAN slow down your claim for JSA.

The best way is to simply contact the Jobcentre at the earliest date possible and make a claim. If you then get a job the day after just cancel the claim.

Sorry, really boring advice I know.
  • NASA_2
    Options
    deb0020 wrote: »
    Just some general advice for anyone trying to claim backdating of JSA

The JSA5 is the correct form to apply for backdating. This form is dealt with by two sections of the JobCentre.Firstly by the Jobcentre itself (where you sign on). All they look at is if you were available for and looking for work over the backdating period. If so, they normally allow it. However all they are allowing is credits.
    The form is then referred to a decision maker at the processing centre (where they actually pay the benefits). The decision maker decides if you could have claimed earlier. Unless there is an amazingly good reason for not contacting the Jobcentre earlier by phone,letter or in person, they will DISALLOW the backdating.
    As stated earlier misdirection is sometimes accepted as a good reason.
    Being too busy looking for work is NOT a good reason.
    Being unable to get to a phone is not a good reason (unless you were in a come in which case you should be claiming ESA)
    Being unable to get to the Jobcentre is not a good reason

Applying for backdating CAN slow down your claim for JSA.

The best way is to simply contact the Jobcentre at the earliest date possible and make a claim. If you then get a job the day after just cancel the claim.

Sorry, really boring advice I know.
    Boring but 100% true.
  • deb0020
    deb0020 Posts: 191 Forumite
    Options
    ESA wrote: »
    Boring but 100% true.

Aaaah thank you ESA. You are sweet.
    I feel really guilty now as I just disagreed with one of your posts on another thread.:embarasse
  • NASA_2
    Options
    deb0020 wrote: »
    Aaaah thank you ESA. You are sweet.
    I feel really guilty now as I just disagreed with one of your posts on another thread.:embarasse
    Dont worry about. Mortgages arent my strong point. I made sure to prefix the statement with 'I think' :beer:
  • healy
    healy Posts: 5,293 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    edited 7 May 2009 at 1:37PM
    Options
    vronks22 wrote: »
    I wasn't going to bother posting back on here, however, I logged on today and have just read Real1314's post, thanks for your support. In fact, my interview at JSA was exceptionally friendly and kind and understanding by both interviewers. (I had THE most horrendous experience when in 1984 in London when I was temping, and then my father died, and I needed to help my Mum so had no income....). So this is to confirm and advise that there is a form called JS5 specifically for backdating your claim and this allowed me to give all my evidence of what I have been doing up to the online claim. It also asks why you didn't claim. I have now put this claim thru with some 20 pages of evidence, emails, receipts, letters. Interestingly I have asked all my employment agencies the question: did you know that you can get JSA based on NI contributions (since one isn't allowed under 'income' due to savings over £16k). Answer : NO. My company made over 10% of the workforce redundant with no HR advice. Forgive me but I am 55, and perhaps naive to think that because I have paid off my mortgage and received a pay out, that I should be entitled to any benefits. It was only when I was looking up something for my unemployed daughter who is going to college that I looked up what her entitlement was and saw that there were two categories of JSA, albeit not that well written.

Once I have heard the outcome of my claim, then I will post again but I will certainly fight the claim should it be a negative outcome. Thanks again REAL1314 for your advice.

You seem to have missed the point of Reals post.

You have probably wasted your time and will not get any backdated money. The 2 previous posters know what they are talking about and have explained the situation well.
  • healy
    healy Posts: 5,293 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    edited 7 May 2009 at 4:52PM
    Options
    vronks22 wrote: »
    Guess what Healy.......... I am so laughing at you because....... you are wrong!

I am not wrong, you have missed the point of Reals post, they have sent me a PM about it (sorry Real I had to say that).

The situation has been explained above and what has been said is correct but if you want to waste your time that is up to you.
  • skintchick
    skintchick Posts: 15,114 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    dmg24 wrote: »
    They will only backdate claims if you can show that you had good reason not to claim, and that you were actively seeking work for the relevant period. Not really being able to go to the JCP is not good reason for not applying earlier.

I haven;t read the whole thread, but I couldn;t even get mind backdated by a day when I had to go to hospital and therefore made my claim three days after I was unemployed instead of the first day.

They also don't let you apply early (I was being made redundant) so unless you know you HAVE to do it on day one then you will miss out.

The system sucks.
    :cool: DFW Nerd Club member 023...DFD 9.2.2007 :cool:
    :heartpuls married 21 6 08 :A Angel babies' birth dates 3.10.08 * 4.3.11 * 11.11.11 * 17.3.12 * 2.7.12 :heart2: My live baby's birth date 22 7 09 :heart2: I'm due another baby at the end of July 2014! :j
  • zappster1966
    zappster1966 Posts: 591 Forumite
    Options
    I don't get it, Vronks.

Am I reading it right ? You took the backdating to appeal, lost and three days later the Job Centre simply backdated it ?

I don't get that at all.
  • NASA_2
    Options
    vronks, you need do nothing, unless me believing you is important to you, and it seems it isnt.

It seems the DWP have set a precedent in your case - wait three months and you'll get a lump sum for not knowing the 'rules'.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure