🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

2009 Pension Increase

Options

Comments

• EdInvestor
    EdInvestor Posts: 15,749 Forumite
    Options
    thefenman wrote: »
    I'm still annoyed that it is only in the last few days that I discovered (through this thread) that we don't get the rise brought forward 3 months as implied in Darling's less-than-specific speech in The Commons.

Why? The state pension is taxable, whereas the 60 quid is tax free.
    Trying to keep it simple...;)
  • oldandgrumpy
    Options
    I believe the £60 will also be paid to carers (as in carers allowance) as well as other benefit recipients. And I'm sure I heard someone on the radio recently (Brown, perhaps) that it will be paid early in January.
  • molley
    molley Posts: 528 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I have e-mailed the Glasgow Pensions Office to ask when the £60 will be paid ..I'll let you know what they say when they say it ..Don't hold your breath
  • hansi
    hansi Posts: 3,001 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    orangecat wrote: »
    First Pension day for 2009 for my wife and I. ( Wife 63, myself 67) No £60 payout so that's another two pensioners one can add to the promise of a January payment.

It's not paid with your pension. It's a totally separate payment which you should receive in January.
  • EdInvestor
    Options
    hansi wrote: »
    It's not paid with your pension. It's a totally separate payment which you should receive in January.

Christmas bonus is sometimes paid with the pension, and the 60 quid payment is supposed to be of the same ilk, so that may not be a safe assumption.

The £10 bonus was/is also paid to people on DLA, and possibly other benefits too, is the £60 only for state pensioners? or does this also apply to recipients of DLA??
    It does. :)

More info, looks like pensioners are to be paid in Jan, others in Feb/March.

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=683703
  • chas1937
    chas1937 Posts: 160 Forumite
    Options
    Basically it means the the £60 is equivalent to giving us the £4.55 that is due in April so its not an extra £60 just paying us the rise in lump sum from January
  • molley
    molley Posts: 528 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    chas1937 wrote: »
    Basically it means the the £60 is equivalent to giving us the £4.55 that is due in April so its not an extra £60 just paying us the rise in lump sum from January

Precisely: I must admit that ,when I heard AD stand up and spout about this in the HoC I jumped to the conclusion it was extra but soon realised it was as you say ...
  • EdInvestor
    Options
    It is extra, because the rise isn't due until April.
  • cyclonebri1
    cyclonebri1 Posts: 12,827 Forumite
    Options
    EdInvestor wrote: »
    It is extra, because the rise isn't due until April.

And as, now made clear, it also applies to benefits claimers so not purely part of pensions,;)
    I like the thanks button, but ,please, an I agree button.

Will the grammar and spelling police respect I do make grammatical errors, and have carp spelling, no need to remind me.;)

Always expect the unexpected:eek:and then you won't be dissapointed
  • thefenman
    thefenman Posts: 238 Forumite
    Options
    molley wrote: »
    How do you work that out . I've not seen anything,here or elsewhere,that says the £60 won't be paid in advance of the increase from April 2009....I'm assuming when you say"we" you mean State Pensioners .

That's not what I said!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 8 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family