2009 Pension Increase

Options

Comments

• woozywendy
    woozywendy Posts: 346 Forumite
    Options
    If you look at what thefenman has wrote on page one I think he has quoted what
    a darling has said,. The way i read it is "from" january. The child benefit "will" be paid in January.
  • molley
    molley Posts: 528 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    thefenman wrote: »
    Good grief!

So what 'Lil Darlin' said in Parliament on Nov 24th was a tissues of lies - or if not lies, then so vague as to allow the Govt. to interpret the statement in any way it wishes.

I thought it had gone suspiciously quiet, so much so that I have not yet vectored into my budget the apparent January increase. Why do the Tories and/or the Liberals not challenge the statement as reported by Hansard?

I feel a letter to my MP coming on! Out of interest, where do your quotations come from?

And, by the way, it doesn't say the £60 will come in January - it says "from January", that could mean any time up April, I guess. £60 is equivalent to 5% of only the basic pension - it falls a long way short of 5% of my pension which includes SERPS. It is non-taxable, however.

A useful link should anyone wish to contact their MP by email is

http://www.theyworkforyou.com/
    There's no reason for it to take that long anyway .A few keystrokes ( same as with the Christmas Bonus) and everyone on State Pension gets the £60
  • molley
    Options
    woozywendy wrote: »
    If you look at what thefenman has wrote on page one I think he has quoted what
    a darling has said,. The way i read it is "from" january. The child benefit "will" be paid in January.

It really depends how you interpret the words .

He said "So families will not have to wait until April to receive their increase in child benefit. Instead, they will start to get it in January—three months early."

"They will start to get it in January" could.as with his words about the £60 SP payment also be taken to mean that the Pensions Service will START to pay it in January so who knows how long it will take to pay everybode.Remember that the Winter Fuel payment doesn't get paid to everyone in the same week ..it get's spread out over a period of weeks .
  • woozywendy
    woozywendy Posts: 346 Forumite
    Options
    I received my letter from the cb agency at the beginning of December confirming my cb increase. I am not sure how they work out who gets paid first in the case of fuel benefit. Is it alphabetically or by National Insurance number, do you know.
  • molley
    Options
    woozywendy wrote: »
    I received my letter from the cb agency at the beginning of December confirming my cb increase. I am not sure how they work out who gets paid first in the case of fuel benefit. Is it alphabetically or by National Insurance number, do you know.
    I always assumed it was alpha but it could also be by NINO
  • thefenman
    thefenman Posts: 238 Forumite
    Options
    flip-123 wrote: »
    Hi, I am 60 in middle of Feb this year and have recieved confirmation of my state pension. I am assuming that my pension will go up in April but can anyone tell me if I will be eligible to a proportion of the one off £60 payment which I understand is to be paid to pensioners sometime from the beginning of Jan?

I very much doubt it. You will, however, get the rise in April. I'm still annoyed that it is only in the last few days that I discovered (through this thread) that we don't get the rise brought forward 3 months as implied in Darling's less-than-specific speech in The Commons.

Not the topic of this thread, but I noticed that Darling side-stepped a question on Radio 4 yesterday about savings rates, he just ignored it. My cash ISA now pays 0.15% PA! At this rate, it won't be long before we have to pay banks to "look after " our money! As part of the debt culture this Government favours, they are now discouraging saving.
  • cyclonebri1
    cyclonebri1 Posts: 12,827 Forumite
    Options
    The £10 bonus was/is also paid to people on DLA, and possibly other benefits too, is the £60 only for state pensioners? or does this also apply to recipients of DLA??

Anyone know?
    I like the thanks button, but ,please, an I agree button.

Will the grammar and spelling police respect I do make grammatical errors, and have carp spelling, no need to remind me.;)

Always expect the unexpected:eek:and then you won't be dissapointed
  • molley
    Options
    I very much doubt it. You will, however, get the rise in April. I'm still annoyed that it is only in the last few days that I discovered (through this thread) that we don't get the rise brought forward 3 months as implied in Darling's less-than-specific speech in The Commons.

Not the topic of this thread, but I noticed that Darling side-stepped a question on Radio 4 yesterday about savings rates, he just ignored it. My cash ISA now pays 0.15% PA! At this rate, it won't be long before we have to pay banks to "look after " our money! As part of the debt culture this Government favours, they are now discouraging saving.

How do you work that out . I've not seen anything,here or elsewhere,that says the £60 won't be paid in advance of the increase from April 2009....I'm assuming when you say"we" you mean State Pensioners .
  • orangecat
    Options
    First Pension day for 2009 for my wife and I. ( Wife 63, myself 67) No £60 payout so that's another two pensioners one can add to the promise of a January payment.
  • margaretclare
    margaretclare Posts: 10,789 Forumite
    Options

If you're no longer a taxpayer you may find that it's pretty pointless having a cash ISA. You may be better served by having a look around for another savings account which pays better interest. I've recently done so. With age-related personal tax allowance I'm no longer paying any tax so I transferred the funds in my cash ISA into an internet saver account which is paying better interest than the cash ISA.
    [FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Æ[/FONT]r ic wisdom funde, [FONT=Times New Roman, serif]æ[/FONT]r wear[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]ð[/FONT] ic eald.
    Before I found wisdom, I became old.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport