2009 Pension Increase

Options

Comments

• margaretclare
    Options
    I think the small print is in the words 'and will also benefit the economy'.

In other words, this measure is aimed at a group of people who are likely to spend it, not put it into investments or savings. Same with child benefit. People who are likely to buy the consumer goods the shops are desperate to get rid of.
    [FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Æ[/FONT]r ic wisdom funde, [FONT=Times New Roman, serif]æ[/FONT]r wear[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]ð[/FONT] ic eald.
    Before I found wisdom, I became old.
  • Jennifer_Jane
    Options
    Yes, and also the vast number of Baby Boomers who are in the process of retiring, and who are more likely to vote than younger people.

MC and Fenman make interesting points.

Jen
    x
  • qml10
    Options
    This may help. In other words, everybody on state pension gets £60 each in January but will still have to wait until April to get the 5% pension increase.

There were further announcements regarding the State Pension, such as:
    • The level of the full State Pension will rise to £95.25 in April 2009, a £4.55 per week increase on last year’s figure; and
    • The Government has also committed to making a payment of £60 to all pensioners in 2009, which is equivalent to bringing forward the State Pension increase from April 2009 to January 2009.
  • thefenman
    thefenman Posts: 238 Forumite
    Options
    qml10 wrote: »
    This may help. In other words, everybody on state pension gets £60 each in January but will still have to wait until April to get the 5% pension increase.

There were further announcements regarding the State Pension, such as:
    • The level of the full State Pension will rise to £95.25 in April 2009, a £4.55 per week increase on last year’s figure; and
    • The Government has also committed to making a payment of £60 to all pensioners in 2009, which is equivalent to bringing forward the State Pension increase from April 2009 to January 2009.

Good grief!

So what 'Lil Darlin' said in Parliament on Nov 24th was a tissues of lies - or if not lies, then so vague as to allow the Govt. to interpret the statement in any way it wishes.

I thought it had gone suspiciously quiet, so much so that I have not yet vectored into my budget the apparent January increase. Why do the Tories and/or the Liberals not challenge the statement as reported by Hansard?

I feel a letter to my MP coming on! Out of interest, where do your quotations come from?

And, by the way, it doesn't say the £60 will come in January - it says "from January", that could mean any time up April, I guess. £60 is equivalent to 5% of only the basic pension - it falls a long way short of 5% of my pension which includes SERPS. It is non-taxable, however.

A useful link should anyone wish to contact their MP by email is

http://www.theyworkforyou.com/
  • sicker
    sicker Posts: 1,370 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Well, no £60 for me on Monday 5th January so will it be last Monday in January?
  • woozywendy
    woozywendy Posts: 346 Forumite
    Options
    [PHP][/PHP]
    sicker wrote: »
    Well, no £60 for me on Monday 5th January so will it be last Monday in January?

I think it can go in anytime between January and March from what I have read.
  • MrChips
    MrChips Posts: 1,010 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Yes, just to mention - to no-one in particular - that this 5% is legally-required, not a lovely present from the Chancellor, and perhaps the reason for the £60 to all pensioners is to be able to say that Labour gave extra this year, but they must give the 5% because that was the inflation rate in September 08.

Is this definitely true? I thought that the level of increase was discretionary (not a "legal requirement"), but that usual practice was to base it on (at least) the RPI increase in the year to the previous September. But I'm not a pensioner yet so might be misinformed!
    If I had a pound for every time I didn't play the lottery...
  • flip-123
    Options
    Hi, I am 60 in middle of Feb this year and have recieved confirmation of my state pension. I am assuming that my pension will go up in April but can anyone tell me if I will be eligible to a proportion of the one off £60 payment which I understand is to be paid to pensioners sometime from the beginning of Jan?
  • Andy_L
    Andy_L Posts: 12,817 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    MrChips wrote: »
    Is this definitely true? I thought that the level of increase was discretionary (not a "legal requirement"), but that usual practice was to base it on (at least) the RPI increase in the year to the previous September. But I'm not a pensioner yet so might be misinformed!

Previous pension legislation commits them to an RPI increase, however Parliament can change the law as they did to use the cheaper RPI increase rather than wage increases or to change the retirement age to 68.
  • molley
    molley Posts: 528 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    woozywendy wrote: »

I think it can go in anytime between January and March from what I have read.

That's not what A. Darling said .He said it was being paid in January so that's the first Pension payday gone and no £60
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure