PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

January 2009 Grocery Challenge

Options

Comments

• kookgekje
    kookgekje Posts: 57 Forumite
    Options
    nigdeb2002 wrote: »
    can someone point me in the direction of .... spicy parsnip soup please.
    Too many parsnips left to waste :)

Hi nigdeb2002. I roast the parsnips in the oven for about 25 minutes. Then add a teaspoon of grated ginger, a tablespoon of currypowder (you can use paste as well and add more or less depending on your taste - I like a bit of firepower), a tin of coconut milk and enough veg stock to cover. Back into the oven for 25 minutes. Let it cool down a bit and then blitz. It's great with those little mini garlic and coriander naans.

I can't take full credit for this though as it is a variation of one of Ainsley Harriott's recipes. It is seriously creamy and very yummy.
    :cheesy::cheesy: Cheese… milk's leap toward immortality :cheesy: :cheesy:
    Clifton Fadiman
    Feb'11 - GC: £105.89/£125 - NSD: 15:j
    Mar'11 GC: £3.84/£100 - NSD: 0
  • bulchy
    bulchy Posts: 955 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    I would like to join, but I wont be doing any shopping until the end of the week, have already done this weeks shop and did go a little overboard.I want to set a target of £70 q week for 2 adults and 2 teenage kids, both eat like adults (there 18 and 15)so suppose I should just say 4 adults, theres also 2 dogs and 2 cats, dog food is bought bulk mostly so wont be counted in weekly shop, but I do buy smartprice mince and chicken wings from supermarket which will be counted in, cats tinned food is also in with weekly shop, but the sack of dried food isnt. Hope this is all making sense. I also do a monthly shop at makro for cans of pop and bottles of water for kids and oh's packed lunches, and toilet and kitchen rolls too which will be added in, maybe I would be better setting myself a monthly target otherwise I will be spending way more one week than other weeks. Anyone else shop the same as me that can give me some advise would be most helpful.
    Thanks
    Sue
  • MrsMcK_2
    MrsMcK_2 Posts: 39 Forumite
    Options
    Hello all would like to set a budget of £280 for this month fingers crossed it will all go well.

xx
    GC Spent - NGC £300 / £
    2 adults 3 children 1 dog
  • jtb2412
    jtb2412 Posts: 1,782 Forumite
    Options
    Had to pop out for a few odds and ends today and spent £4.45 in Superdrug (ladies items and mouthwash so couldn't avoid spending on this one :rolleyes: ) and £1.98 on some bleach in the pound shop.

Need to get some eggs later too but hopefully that's it for the rest of the week (kids back to school so shouldn't need to spend anything)!

Hope everyone has a good day xx
    :jWeight loss to date 1st 11.5lb :j
  • gailey_2
    gailey_2 Posts: 2,329 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Ahh right 1st post for january after going over budget in decemeber.
    We have set ourselves £200/£50 per week and so far spent abut £10 in january already just on top up of squash,milk and bread at local shop.
    oh gets paid 15th so hoping not to do big shop until then and last out with what we have which is getting low and rather odd and just topping up basics so im wondering

run out of chedder as family cheese monsters luckily brought parmasan for going on pasta as they dont use as much and keeps in fridge for months so good saving.

However stuck with xmas chese pack so what can I do with

2 lots of brie?
    1 lot of stilton?
    several onions both red and white
    chillis

run out of all fresh veg

I also have bacon
    1pack of mince
    dried pasta but no sauces or passata
    tonens of tinned chopped tomatoes

lots of frozen veg in freezer peas sweet corn broccoli and carrots
    still got chips
    some potatoes
    yorkshire puds
    frozen fish
    vegetarian grills

in cupboard got curry sauces but no meat what veg could i add in ?
    but got supernoodles
    lentils

run out of baked beans
    run out of tinned soups

so yes its getting hard best be more creative. Oh is not inspired by what we have left but i so want to last next 10 days. im fed up of chips!

good luck everyone im determined to keep to budget.
    did think maybe £45 a week and buying £5 of food stamps each week for xmas but not sure how this will pan out.
    pad by xmas2010 £14,636.65/£20,000::beer:
    Pay off as much as I can 2011 £15008.02/£15,000:j

new grocery challenge £200/£250 feb

KEEP CALM AND CARRY ON:D,Onwards and upward2013:)
  • sazzledazzle
    Options
    £100 for me please. I am going to put £50 of it on a gift card for Mr T's so that I have some of it stashed and then I dont run out before the end of month.
    MAY NSD's

• angelatgraceland
    Options
    gailey wrote: »

2 lots of brie?
    1 lot of stilton?
    chillis

run out of all fresh veg

I also have bacon
    1pack of mince

still got chips
    some potatoes
    yorkshire puds
    frozen fish
    vegetarian grills

but got supernoodles
    lentils

run out of baked beans
    run out of tinned soups

so yes its getting hard best be more creative. Oh is not inspired by what we have left but i so want to last next 10 days. im fed up of chips!

did think maybe £45 a week and buying £5 of food stamps each week for xmas but not sure how this will pan out.

Maybe have some cheese and crackers? Blue cheese is nice also in sauces.

You have pasta,mince and tinned toms so you can make your own bolognese sauce and you could also make your own pizzas if you drain the toms(use the juice for bolognese)and add some herbs,and maybe some bacon and brie.
    You could serve that with the chips and the wine.
    Curry-does it have to have meat in? the last 2 big curries Ive made have been totally veggy. I used dried beans(any variety) split peas,stock cubes,onions,curry,potatoes,tinned toms. Really cheap and of course lowfat.
    Nobody has complained about no meat in it either. You could also add some lentils. You could also make a chilli if you have any sort of beans and still could do that even if you havent. I sometimes add chopped carrots to chillis.
    You could do a pasta bake with the brocolli bacon brie stilton caarrots. What you throw in is down to your own inventiveness.

So-cheese and crackers
    pizza and chips
    spag bol
    veggy curry
    Chilli con carne
    Pasta bake
    Annual Grocery budget 2018 is £1500 pa £125 calendar month £28.84 pw for 3 adults
  • redmel1621
    redmel1621 Posts: 6,002 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Well nipped in for loo rolls and dishwasher tabs...and forgot them:wall:, but did come out with bacon (didn't need), Eggs (didn't need), Scones (didn't need), Pork chops (didn't need) and MORE t-bags!!!!!!:doh:. I only bought all this stuff because they were on offer, but I could quite happily have not bothered with any of them.

This time I will write down what I need.

I did get the pots, carrots, apples and bananas from the veg shop. The only problem is our local veg shop is so manky, I really hate going there. You have to be sooooooo careful on what you pick up as 50% of the stuff seems to be either off or on the turn.

Anyway a grand total of £10.94 spent today, and like I say still dishwasher tabs and loo roll to buy, I am not doing very well at the moment.

Mel x
    Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot,
    Nothing is going to get better. It's not.
  • MRSMCAWBER
    MRSMCAWBER Posts: 5,442 Forumite
    Options
    Afternoon all..

We have 6" of snow :T so dinner tonight is going to be cornedbeef hash and dumplings nomnomnom

Someones has been out shopping -again :p .......But I think I have come away with plenty for my money...

did the NAAFI for the obligatory "whoopsy hunt" and got:-
    • 6 litres whole milk -wedged in the freezer now
    • 3 soft goats cheese -in freezer
    • 4 kilo baking potatoes
    • 4 tubs langley cottage cheese with chives
    • 4 tubs sour cream -in freezer
    • cherry tomatoes
    • jar colemans English -why can't they sell the huge jar as I love it :rolleyes:
    I spent £9.46 ..and "saved" €26.61 on whoopsies :T

Then I ventured into ALDI :o
    • 6 part baked rolls x 6 -great for emergancies
    • 2 boxes rice
    • mini salamis
    • huge salami
    • 1 kilo carrots
    • 16X 150g yogurts
    • 250g fine noodles x 2
    • 2 kilo coxs
    • 4 tins coconut milk
    • 2 tins lychee
    • jar bamboo shoots
    • 1 kilo brussels
    • 2 boxes salt
    • big jar coffee
    • 2 kilo clementines
    so I spent €23.70 .... but most of it is for the store..everything in blue won't get started on until next month at the earliest and lots will last longer than that :T ..so a total spend today of 33.16 ....
    so €56.86 so far this month -but Im half way through :j

right I had better get off and update my signature and then add everyone else to the list ;)
    hope everyone is having a good day :D
    -6 -8 -3 -1.5 -2.5 -3 -1.5-3.5
  • yummymummy05
    Options
    gailey wrote: »
    We have set ourselves £200/£50 per week and so far spent abut £10 in january already just on top up of squash,milk and bread at local shop.
    oh gets paid 15th so hoping not to do big shop until then and last out with what we have which is getting low and rather odd and just topping up basics so im wondering

run out of chedder as family cheese monsters luckily brought parmasan for going on pasta as they dont use as much and keeps in fridge for months so good saving.

2 lots of brie?
    1 lot of stilton?
    chillis

run out of all fresh veg

I also have bacon
    1pack of mince

still got chips
    some potatoes
    yorkshire puds
    frozen fish
    vegetarian grills

but got supernoodles
    lentils

run out of baked beans
    run out of tinned soups

I would do a:

vegetable curry (using the frozen ones and a jar of sauce add either rice or the noodles - save the packet of powder for an emergency pasta)

cheese sauce for pasta or potatoes with the brie and stilton (or ifmake a cauliflower cheese)

Tinned toms and a bit of basil make a nice pasta sauce

mince, bacon, onion, lentils and potatoes for cottage pie

hate to state the obvious but there's still fish and chips

Hope that will keep you going for a couple of days!!
    FebGC
    wk1 £0/£100 NSD's 0/7
    wk2
    wk3
    wk4
    Total £0/400
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income