PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

January 2009 Grocery Challenge

Options

Comments

• Savvy_sewing
    Savvy_sewing Posts: 11,574 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Options
    Hello, sorry I slipped off in November and December, although I still did the challenge, I did come in under budget. But now the family has expanded I think I may just have to increase things for January 2009. If its not too late can I join again? £360 please
    When I die I will know that I have lived, loved, mattered and made a difference, even if in a small way.
  • frugalswan
    frugalswan Posts: 339 Forumite
    Options
    Right, today has seen my first (top-up) grocery shop of 2009. So, I'm adding £5.67 to my total; I bought tissues, mushrooms, coffee and a pint of milk. :)

x Frugalswan x
    Continually trying the Grocery Challenge. Gotta keep trying!
  • SavvyStudent_2
    Options
    Hello everybody, just popping in to update my sig with my first grocery spend of 2009! Did a MrT online order, came to £57.25 - which I thought was a bit high considering I'd put in a load of BOGOFs etc - turns out they hadn't taken off lots of the discounts when they put it through the till! So a £14.25 refund is on its way, making my first spend £43 - not bad considering the cupboards and fridge are now stocked to absolute bursting (mainly with value diet coke to feed my habit lol). When I was in looking for clothes I used some of my M&S vouchers from granny to stock up on treats for the OH but I'm not counting them as technically they didn't cost me anything... Planning to use the remaining £20 of vouchers to top up with 'free' milk and bread etc for a few weeks lol...! xx
  • searching_me
    searching_me Posts: 18,414 Forumite
    Options
    back from town so thought id better come and update. i spent £27 on fruit milk bread and a few bits and bobs (really needed razors :rotfl:) .. i ended up forgetting gas and electric but i gotta pick up DD from her aunts so get it then and nothing else... i hope .. hope your all good x
    :)Still searching .....:)
  • indebted
    indebted Posts: 26 Forumite
    Options
    Can I join too if its not too late. I've lost my way, just reviewed newly extended finances, and this thread is definately a must again.

My figure for this January is £300. Spent £19.07 so far.

Good Luck to all
    Not been on for a while but need to get finances in order

DH, DS 28, DD 23 just come back home, Frodo & Morgan
  • scotsaver
    scotsaver Posts: 824 Forumite
    Options
    Hiya everyone - feeling a bit smug with myself, clearing out the Fridge again today I had to use up some Single Cream, Double Cream, Celery, Cooked Gammon and from the Fruit bowl some Bananas going black - checked out the Recipe Index again from the Front page for some inspiration and I've made for Dinner tonight:- Cream of Celery Soup using up the Celery and Double Cream, followed by Cheese & Gammon Pies, just made a cheese sauce, left it to cool and then chopped up the Cooked Gammon, stirred that in, made some Shortcrust pastry and made into 4 little individual Pies which I will serve with some baby potatoes, peas & sweetcorn from the Freezer and then Banana Ice Cream using up the Bananas and the Single Cream, basically just blitzed the Bananas, cream and added some Vanilla essence(not sure if that will be frozen in time but if not then we can have that tomorrow night).:j So determined not to throw anything away and still have so much left from Xmas/New Year - need to just read through again and get some inspiration for all the cheeses we seem to have been left with.:cool:

Have a good evening everyone.:D
    "WASTE NOT, WANT NOT!"
    GC for OH, myself, DD18 & DD16 includes Toiletries, cleaning stuff & Food.

• rumncoke
    rumncoke Posts: 224 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I would like to join in challange for January. £275 for the month for myself, DH, DS (18) & DD (12, who eats like theres no tomorrow & shes like a stick insect!)

Going to go through cupboards & freezer tomorrow & start meal planning before I go to supermarket on Tuesday
  • mummygems
    mummygems Posts: 359 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Happy New Year everyone.

Can I please be put down for £350 for January. December went horribly wrong with the breakdown of my fridge freezer (which couldnt be repaired) and having nowhere to put food for over 2 weeks meant I was shopping each day and it all added up to a ghastly £192 over budget gulp!!! That did include Christmas and New Year shopping for guests and alcohol etc but still its a horrible figure lol.

I am hoping to cut the cost this year big time! Fingers crossed I shall get my oldest DD out of nappies which will save some money.

I am off to catch up on 21 pages now.
    2 adults and 3 children DD (14), DD (12) & DS (10) :smileyhea and 2 mental beagles.
    Paying off debt bit by bit
  • wornoutmumoftwo
    Options
    OK, done a month's shop - well almost, I still have a few bits to get.

I bought 3 chickens for £10 and I am planning on cooking all three tomorrow at the same time, eating one and then freezing the others (once I've cut up the meat), then I can use it in curry/pie etc.

Just wondered if it was alright to do it this way?
    Payment a day challenge: £236.69
    Jan Shopping Challenge: £202.09/£250
    Frugal Living Challenge: £534.64/15000
  • MRSMCAWBER
    MRSMCAWBER Posts: 5,442 Forumite
    Options
    :T scotsaver :T

Its amazing what you can come up with isn't it ..I actually get quite disappointed when I open the fridge to find no part tins, odds n ends :p
    Somehow its much more satisfying to "concoct" recipes..and they usually taste a lot better too :D
    -6 -8 -3 -1.5 -2.5 -3 -1.5-3.5
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport