PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

January 2009 Grocery Challenge

Options

Comments

• Julimk
    Julimk Posts: 349 Forumite
    Options
    I’m 1 week into my February (5 weeks) and other than the big monthly shop I am not doing too badly. A few whoopsies (55p ham, 38p bacon, 15p corned beef, 15p cheese), some lemons (50p for 4 – Mr T Market Value) and 2 l milk (£1.06 Mr T ‘freshnlow’).

I’ve re-inventoried the fridge, freezers & store cupboard & still plenty in, so should be able to carry on like this for the next week too. I will then need some more fresh fruit. I mostly use frozen veg, so I am only using what I need & none is wasted.

There are still 46 HM ready meals in the freezer & 3 packs sausages, 2 packs smoked fish, 1 pack white fish & 2kg beef mince, as well as some other bits & pieces. I’m hoping that by the end of February I should be far enough ahead of myself to only buy the meat & fish when it is reduced or on special offer.

Well done to everyone, even those that are over. I’ve found that just trying makes a difference.
  • kunekune
    kunekune Posts: 1,909 Forumite
    Options
    We were naughty and went to the pub for lunch (we walked it off in the sense that it was a 1 hour walk to get there, including a truly horrible 15 minutes uphill through sucky sticky slippery mud when OH took a short cut). Then I had some marking to do. But for dinner I did a yummy leek & potato & barley creamy chicken soup using the stock from last week's carcass, followed by a truly fantastic pudding of rhubarb with a sponge cake topping, served with ice cream (kids) and cream (us). While it was all cooking, I made the venison & chestnut casserole we were meant to be having today, it is now in the fridge and will be reheated tomorrow - probably the better for it. I don't think the children will eat venison, so we're having it with baked potatoes, and they can have cheese and beans if they prefer. There is still some rhubarb pudding in the fridge but I don't think it'll be there tomorrow night ... it looks like breakfast to me!!!!

That said, I think I'll declare at [overbudget but not too much]. And set next month's target as £410. Our other monthly target was met, I think: when OH was paid, there was still £1800 in the bank. He was overpaid by quite a bit - they haven't reduced his salary yet after he went from 5 to 4 days - but I knew that when I set the target, the clawback will come in Feb or March. The other 'dodgy' bit is that we didn't have a childcare bill. However, I paid £250 for a conference fee, which I'll get back after the conference, and also have a £500 invoice out there for private work. So I think it's quite fair to say that we can safely move the planned £1750 into savings.

In time to try and buy a house ... but that doesn't belong on this board!!!!
    Mortgage started on 22.5.09 : £129,600
    Overpayments to date: £3000
    June grocery challenge: 400/600
  • TurnaroundSue
    Options
    Mrs M could you please put me down for £250 please for February. My month runs 23rd - 23rd. I am breaking it down to £60 pw and hoping that I will be able to come in around this amount on a weekly basis - although failed on week 1 as spent £95:eek: so way over budget.

I cannot believe how the prices have gone up again when they had started to fall. Went yesterday and when the food/fuel prices were at their peak 6 cans of Whiskas went up to £3.06 and then returned to the original price of £2.99 of late. However, yesterday I found they are now at £3.37:eek: for 6 - I mean that is ridiculous - has anyone else noticed the prices jumping up again (or is it just me?)
    When you were born, you were crying and everyone around was smiling. Live your life so at the end, you're the one who is smiling and everyone around you is crying! :rotfl:
  • dazzle21
    dazzle21 Posts: 1,962 Forumite
    Options
    Can i set the budget for Feb at £180 again please, i know this is a much shorter month but i need to empty the freezer, defrost it then buy basics again so hopefully i'll be able to do that and stay in budget! Have been a bit naughty this weekend and had takeaway.... that and buying baby milk we've spent £30ish eek..better start using up freezer food this week! :rolleyes:
    August: £149/£150

Sept: £200
  • TheBees
    TheBees Posts: 601 Forumite
    Options
    FIRSTLY CONGRATULATIONS TO JENNYBEE!

I've had a busy baking afternoon... Made 20 fairy cakes, 2 fat free fruit cakes and raspbery jam plaits. I was really chuffed to make some french style rolls that actually worked. :j I used the French Bread recipe from my breadmaker cookbook then set the machine to Dough setting. Once the dough was made I shaped it into mini baguette shapes, let it rise for 30 minutes then baked. They've turned out really well and should save a few pennies in future compared to buying the shop bought ones. We're having one each in our packed lunches tomorrow filled with egg mayonnaise.

DH made a delicious toad in the hole using some cheap frozen sausages with roasted vegetables.

Unfortunately we've gone over budget by £10 this month so are declaring at £360 for January. Not too upset considering it was a 5 week month and we didn't have any leftovers from Christmas as we went away.

Mrs M please put us down for £340 for February...
    Mortgage Free in 3 part 2 challenge - pay off £9000
    Sealed Pot Challenge 416 - target £500
  • PennyGrabber
    Options
    Food prices are crap! I hate the way they change, almost weekly, and what really bugs me is when they say it's a bargain when they were selling it cheaper before!!
    For instance, in Mr T in Swindon recently, there's been a bit of rain on the inside!! So they've been using the big blue flexi tub things to catch the leaks. They're advertised in store as a bargain at £3.50, yet I bought two before Christmas for £2 each!!
    It screws up all my menu budgeting too. Oh well, let them feel they own us! If we are representative ish of the British public, ie all trying to save a few pennies then surely they'll suffer after a while? There's only so high they can put their prices?! I hope!!
    Take care all.
    PS will have to wait till March to sort out restocking my outside freezer now!
    PPS Thanks yummy mummy for the steak and kidney recipe! Will try when I get some kidney!
    Grocery challenge for family of three - me, dd(12) and ds(11), feeding dp 2 or 3 x a week too. Only food, not toiletries. Jan £87.97/£100 Feb £0/£100
    Frugal 2018 needed! Saving and NOT spending
  • Shelly1977
    Options
    January came in just over budget at £84.65. Can you please pop me down for £80 for February.

Thanks.
    Grocery Challenge - May £20/ £80
    2009 Sealed Pot Challenge #305 - £216 /£300
  • Flat_Eric
    Flat_Eric Posts: 4,060 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I have just watched the dispatches programme - the true cost of cheap food on C4 catch up. Hmmm interesting...... Certainly made me more aware. Im most shocked about the chicken and will certaintly pay more attention next time I want some fresh chicken.

I found the experiment interesting. I have tended to buy the market value range of vegetables since they first started appearing as sometimes there can be quite a price difference in the market value and the normal items. I might also investigate my local butcher to see what he has to offer. Because my OH doesnt eat lamb or pork so if I want pork steaks, I buy a pack, eat a couple, then stick the other 2 in the freezer never to be seen again! so it might make more sense just to buy what I need/ am going to eat.

The only trouble is, its just so convenient, especially with the advent of home delivery to have all and sundry delivered so will perhaps do my own challenge and one month buy from the local butcher / greengrocers and the next month, buy all from the supermarket and see what the price difference is!
  • gillst_2
    Options
    Had a NSD today - was too busy to set foot outside the door, had the family down for dinner.

MIL's birthday and baked a cake for her - enjoyed by everyone. Best chocolate cake I have ever made, absolutely delicious. Surprising ingredient of blackberry jam (hm of course!!). Everyone loved it.

Also made a tuscan rosemary flatbread. Never made anything like this before but was very pleased with how it turned out. Made an enormous 12 inch round bread, so froze half. Plan to make a casserole during the week and will use the rest of the bread to soak up the gravy.

Really getting into cooking from scratch, which I am finding is so much cheaper. Had a roast pork dinner today and had also made a trifle and an enormous apple crumble for dessert.

Loads of leftovers which we will have tomorrow.

Am also going to try the salmon fishcakes mentioned earlier in this thread. I too have some freezer burnt salmon in my freezer and was wondering what to do with it.

Hope everyone has a good forthcoming week.
  • Sylvan
    Sylvan Posts: 347 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    :jCongratulations Jennybee:j
    Time flies like an arrow.
    Fruit flies like a banana.
    Money talks, but chocolate SINGS

"I used to be snow white but I drifted" (A seasonal quote from the incomparable Miss West)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure