PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

January 2009 Grocery Challenge

Comments

• meanmarie
    meanmarie Posts: 5,328 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Spent €50 to-day, bringing my total monthly spend so far to €291.99 of €300 budget...not buying anything except milk between now and Saturday, so should make it, just

Marie
    Weight 08 February 86kg
  • Oh dear, well my grocery challenge went to pot this month. I'm not even really sure why, it should have gone well cos DH was away for a bit. But I've been very self indulgent in a lot of different ways (have also gained a few lbs but that's another moan). Anyway it will be back on the straight and narrow in Feb.

I'm declaring a final total of £150 which is a bit of a guesstimate but probably not too far out. Not good when my target was a frugal £120 though. Thank goodness this is a no-rates month which should bring our joint account back into credit next month.

I am going to have to be seriously tight in Feb which should be ok cos cupboards are full to bursting at the minute!
  • kippers
    kippers Posts: 2,055 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I'm declaring £299.98 for January (budget £300 so i only just scraped it!

Pls put me down for £300 for Feb, thanks.

I'm going to struggle this month (24/1 - 24/2) as it's a five week month and i've already spent £74.02 and i'm now counting calories, so pls wish me luck.

By the way: cucumbers are £1.28 now in Asda and Tesco!...got one for £1.09 fromaldi...shocking prices
  • Hi everyone:hello:

Declaring £360.81 for this month. I did buy a few bulky items so pretty pleased with my total. Although my month doesn`t officially end until the 31st I have enough money to cover the milk and f&v that is needed to last me `till the end of the month.

MrsM could you put me down for £350for Februay.

Expecting the patter of little paws and waggy tail on Friday, so an extra mouth to feed, but very excited.
    Grocery Challenge 2013: July week 1 £90/£87.41 :D
    week 2 £90.00/£118.38:eek: week 3 £90/£60.54:jweek4 £90/£79.90 week5 £45/£00
    End of mortgage april 2030
    Mortgage overpayment from june 2013 aiming for £400 a month: £451
    Emergency fund 2013 from june £70
  • DECLARING AT £212.16p FOR JANUARY:D
  • greent
    greent Posts: 10,670 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    kippers wrote: »
    By the way: cucumbers are £1.28 now in Asda and Tesco!...got one for £1.09 fromaldi...shocking prices

cucumbers were 79p in lidl yesterday :-)

hth

greent
    x
    I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) 01/09 £124616 01/11 £89873 01/13 £52546 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    Net sales 2024: £20
  • mumzyof2 wrote: »
    Afternoon all

can anyone help me with the following:

I have 8 x bbq chicken breasts in fridge and dont know what to do with them any advice?
    what do i do with a mango? lol
    How do i freeze semi skimmed milk?

O forgot to say I had 8 big bags of food shopping on my pram. In the bags were all the frozen stuff plus 8 pints of milk..big bottle of juice. I had to get the bus up the hill and the bus driver had to help me on bus because i couldnt get the back of the pram on lol.My back hurt and pram was tipping up even with a 3 yr old in it lol. But i wouldnt get a taxi just to take me up a hill lol
    I pour a little out of the milk to leave room for expansion-leave an inch ir so. Then literally just put it in the freezer. Best thawed at room temp not microwave and shake up regularly if possible. Result is perfect.
    You worked hard with all that shopping and the pram! Dont hurt yourself though in the name of moneysaving! This is where sometimes,online shopping comes in handy. I did the same many times though when mine were small and I couldnt afford the taxi. Thing is though-sometimes its worth 3 or 4 pound rather than an injury. Well done though!:T :T :T
    Annual Grocery budget 2018 is £1500 pa £125 calendar month £28.84 pw for 3 adults
  • orchid-96
    orchid-96 Posts: 686 Forumite
    I need to catch up with a days worth of posts later, but just come on to update sig....just had a MrT delivery which was good value as I had vouchers on it, but also spent £6.48 on a bottle of wine and some oj last night at the local spar...this has meant with today I am have used all my budget :eek: and I still have a week left!! only saving grace is that we are going to a wedding on sat back sun which is all covered cost wise already, so only really till Friday and I do have plenty in for meals/packed lunches....just depends whether I can keep out away from the vino :D
    Jun GC £250.00/£12.40 NSD 3 / 30

January 200/198.91 February 200/239.28 March 200/230
    April 250/no idea May 250/265.95

Sealed pot challenge number 648
  • sharronej
    sharronej Posts: 578 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    nimbo wrote: »
    had a really bad weekend, as it ended up spending a fortune....

had to get a pregnancy test (negative) and can't decide if this should come out of the food budget or not.....

then realised that while oanicking about said pregnancy test that i had lost the £200 that i was on the way to the bank with for my house deposit..... (at least that was cheaper than a baby!!!!!!)

and than as i was so guytted about the £200 when i had planned to go out for lunch, and not drink alcohol, i figured why not????? and spent a fortune!!!!!

so i now have £30 left for until the end of Feb!!!!! (i run my month from pay day to pay day....)

haha not going too weel!!!!

Oh good grief, what a horrible time you have had! Lots of cyber hugs on their way to you....all I can say is hopefully things will improve. I think you thoroughly deserved that alcohol!
  • scotsaver
    scotsaver Posts: 824 Forumite
    Can't wait for tomorrow as my month finishes today and I can break into my February GC tomorrow.;)

Dinner tonight is a curry using some of the Lamb from yesterday, there was so much meat on the Leg of Lamb that we still have some left so planning to make a Lamb Tagine in the SC tomorrow and shall serve that with some Couscous.;)

Had a productive day, bought some more packets of seeds from Wilkinsons today (they are 3 for 2 at the moment), comes out of a different Budget, got some big plans for growing Veg this year.:D Turned a load of tomatoes into a tomato sauce for the Freezer by roasting them with garlic, herbs and Olive oil and then blitzed in the processor, made some Rolls and some sausage rolls for Lunchboxes. Shall chill out tonight watching HFW on Channel 4.:cool:

Hope you all have a good evening.:D
    "WASTE NOT, WANT NOT!"
    GC for OH, myself, DD18 & DD16 includes Toiletries, cleaning stuff & Food.

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure