PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

January 2009 Grocery Challenge

Options

Comments

• Toonie
    Toonie Posts: 1,147 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Spent just over £31 this week so far, but we stocked up on a few things like tins and herbs we had run out of. Have to pop out and get some toilet roll today-local shop has it on offer and its cheaper than Morrisons. Will update sig later. Tonight we're having jacket spuds with beans and cheese (BF) and bacon (me). This weekend will be pulling things from the freezer for dinner. Toad-in-the-hole tomorrow and steaks on Sunday. Also, have some sausage rolls in the freezer for lunches. Time now to catch up on the thread!
    Grocery budget in 2023 £2279.18/£2700

Grocery budget in 2022 £2304.76/£2400
    Grocery budget in 2021 £2107.86/£2200
    Grocery budget in 2020 £2193.02/£2160

Saving for Christmas 2023 #15 £ 90/ £365
  • dazzle21
    dazzle21 Posts: 1,962 Forumite
    Options
    ok was very naughty and decided to buy an M&S meal for £10..then my sister gave me some vouchers she didn't want so i could get another one! Bless! Got two quite large chickens, and cooked one last night only to discover that there were remains of giblets in it and the whole thing had become inedible..so dinner became veg, profiteroles and wine..! Took the chicken back and they gave me £10! so it worked out not to naughty in the end! Have updated sig for a £6 spend. Will check next chicken VERY carefully before cooking!! Tonight is hm chilli made during my 1st batch cooking session last week so i hope it thaws before 7!!
    August: £149/£150

Sept: £200
  • SAVVYMUMMY_2
    Options
    Went shopping today at MrM, wilkinsons and debenhams. spent £5.58 on reduced seeds that should have come to £14.49 from wilkinsons, `whoopsie` chicken wings 59p half pink milks at 15p amongst other things, so will update siggy in a mo. Also £25 on a 6.5 Lt slow cooker, the money I am saving from the grocery budget this month is going towards that, so won`t be added to the GC budget. This was from Debenhams so really pleased with this.
    Grocery Challenge 2013: July week 1 £90/£87.41 :D
    week 2 £90.00/£118.38:eek: week 3 £90/£60.54:jweek4 £90/£79.90 week5 £45/£00
    End of mortgage april 2030
    Mortgage overpayment from june 2013 aiming for £400 a month: £451
    Emergency fund 2013 from june £70
  • gailey_2
    gailey_2 Posts: 2,329 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Well went shoopoing yesterday and went bit crazy as had little in house for weeks.

spent £50 lidls
    £100 in sainsburys

questions should i cook meals in batch cooking and freeze?
    what freezes well and how best to contain it bags or tubs?
    dont wnat to see any fresh veg go waste so was contemplating maing mash and ffreezing that along with soem other veggies.
    can chopped lees and onions be frozen? do i need to do anything with them?
    its just its was cheap lidls so on verge of going off.

I think we done very good shop with lots of meat,passata and dried pasta plus lots of basics and deals.
    Sainburys gone massive on basic range defintaly offer great value now.
    pad by xmas2010 £14,636.65/£20,000::beer:
    Pay off as much as I can 2011 £15008.02/£15,000:j

new grocery challenge £200/£250 feb

KEEP CALM AND CARRY ON:D,Onwards and upward2013:)
  • meanmarie
    meanmarie Posts: 5,328 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Afternoon all,

NSD for me to-day, did mean to go do a big shop but managed to defer until to-morrow....we will need lots as haven't been in a supermarket for 2 weeks.

Have a good day all

Marie
    Weight 08 February 86kg
  • yummymummy05
    Options
    Just worked out if i can get my shoppping budget down to £150 a month plus £60 for Baby stuff I can afford to be a stay at home mum for a year whilst I do my course!!! What an incentive!! I'm off to pick up DS from nursary so will leave you with that thought!
    FebGC
    wk1 £0/£100 NSD's 0/7
    wk2
    wk3
    wk4
    Total £0/400
  • rosieben
    rosieben Posts: 5,010 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    gailey wrote: »
    ... questions should i cook meals in batch cooking and freeze?
    dont wnat to see any fresh veg go waste so was contemplating maing mash and ffreezing that along with soem other veggies.
    can chopped lees and onions be frozen? do i need to do anything with them? ...

gailey, take a look at the Meal Building Blocks for the Freezer thread - some really good ideas for freezing to save time and money :)
    ... don't throw the string away. You always need string! :D

C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z Head Sharpener
  • orchid-96
    orchid-96 Posts: 686 Forumite
    Options
    Back from MrM and pleased with my shop, managed to stick to my list (apart from a treat of a magazine to read in the bath later!)

DH is going to cook the soup later, I picked up a butternut squash and he has found a recipe for it with other stuff we have in, the only thing we don't have is 'white beans' (not actually sure what they are :o ) it says soaked overnight...now, he will just leave these out, but I was wondering if a tin of butter beans would work? as I have some of these in....

Rosieben thanks for that 'building blocks' link, some great ideas for getting the freezer organised....I like it that mine is now filling up with home made meals and veggies and looking less like one of the freezers in farm foods or the like full of chips and fishfingers (although they are still there as well!)
    Jun GC £250.00/£12.40 NSD 3 / 30

January 200/198.91 February 200/239.28 March 200/230
    April 250/no idea May 250/265.95

Sealed pot challenge number 648
  • cw18
    cw18 Posts: 8,621 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    gailey wrote: »
    questions should i cook meals in batch cooking and freeze?
    can chopped lees and onions be frozen? do i need to do anything with them?
    its just its was cheap lidls so on verge of going off.
    I don't (by choice) freeze anything with rice or pasta (other than lasagne once in a blue moon).

I freeze the remains of a roast (for another meal or sandwiches the next week), chille con carne or bolognese sauces, and numerous stews and casseroles. Have just started freezing curry as well, as I can get 4 portions from one jar and some meat, but only make it for DS as I can't stand it!!

Veg - onion and mushrooms I simply chop and freeze -- though I do try and tray freeze before bagging into portions. Cauli, brocolli and carrots I blanche first, then tray freeze, then bag.

Storage - I used to use tubs, but quickly ran out of space in my freezers :rolleyes2 All my veg goes into bags, and I've just started bagging everything else (bag line a tub, put the food into the bag/tub combi, freeze as combi, then take the bags out of the tubs once set). This takes a LOT less room -- but I do fancy finding a couple of larger tubs that will hold several bags of curry/steak & kidney/chicken casserole, as otherwise they end up in different drawers and I have to empty the whole thing to see how many portions I have of any one meal ;)
    Cheryl
  • russetred
    russetred Posts: 1,334 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Took OH shopping today and he was fine no more adding things into the trolley or my pet hate reading everything on the back of tins.I have to say having the big holiday as an incentive to save really works.He came home with 20p he had found to put in the holiday pig.I did the round of all our supermarkets,thankfully they are all really close together, and spent £39 which should last us the week.I updated my siggy and 2 weeks left.We're having something polish in jars involving cabbage and mince tonight.Its really nice but I can't pronounce it and its spelt with gs and js.Weigh in tomorrow,I hope I've managed to lose a little more I hate diets!
    "Sometimes life sucks....but the alternative is unacceptable."
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport