January 2009 Grocery Challenge

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Old Style MoneySaving
2.1K replies 157K views

Replies

• CRANKY40CRANKY40 Forumite
    4.6K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'm really annoyed with myself as I spent £1.34 on cola and Smarties.

I've given up smarties. They taste horrible now, and the colours all look strange.

Did you bake the case for the quiche blind first?
    4.6K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    That sounds truly awful, I hope you are feeling better now.
    I am also trying to lose weight and have been having pasta/couscous salad for lunch as its more slow release energy than bread etc
    Could you maybe take 2 small boxes of salad and then eat every few hours? Instead of eating it all at lunch?
    Another good thing could be veggie frittata which can be cut into wedges and eaten cold like quiche (but no pastry!)

Thanks. No, I can't do that. We have rules about what we are allowed to eat at our desk. Sorry, I should have said. No sandwiches, and nothing that has to be eaten with a fork or spoon.... Fruit is allowed, and so are biscuits, sweets and crisps. We used to be allowed to eat while working, so I used to take a big tub of pasta salad and make it last me all morning. Sorry, I should have said about the rules. The frittata sounds like a possibility. Nobody woud recognise it :rotfl:
  • TheBeesTheBees Forumite
    601 Posts
    Hi everyone -

Cranky 40 - I also need to eat healthy snacks between meals or I feel light headed and awful. Have you thought about a couple ryvitas or dutch crispbakes with a thin spread of low fat marg on them. Twiglets, low fat pretzels, banana or other low fat crisps?

We needed milk today so I went to the local Londis but only bought milk - nothing else!:j

Sorted out the menu plan to the end of the month but need to get a few things tom in the supermarket. Hope I can resist temptation to buy too much.
    Mortgage Free in 3 part 2 challenge - pay off £9000
    Sealed Pot Challenge 416 - target £500
  • CRANKY40 Re snacks I was going to suggest a plain scone or fruit bun with no spread but I guess thats not allowed.

How about low fat crisps, they are really nice or Asda do low fat snacks (crispy sort of things) which are about £1 for 6 bags and around 50 calaories a bag, or snack-a-jacks?

A banana or grapes? Cup a soup with croutons? Cereal bar? Weight watchers cake or biscuits (they come in packs of two) or make your own slim version of cake or cookies so you can work out the points/ calories

I also need to eat every 3 hours or so and am always on the look out for different snacks.
    4.6K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    TheBees wrote: »

Cranky 40 - I also need to eat healthy snacks between meals or I feel light headed and awful. Have you thought about a couple ryvitas or dutch crispbakes with a thin spread of low fat marg on them. Twiglets, low fat pretzels, banana or other low fat crisps?

The dutch crispbakes sound perfect. Thank you. Crackers are allowed at my desk.

Miss-spent I'd prefer to make low fat cookies myself. WW cakes and biscuits don't taste great, and I don't think they're very filling. I've gone off bananas a bit at the moment. I do have grapes in the fridge.
  • Rachel021967Rachel021967 Forumite
    1K Posts
    ✭✭✭
    No Cranky40 I didn't bake it blind. What temperature should I bake the base at?
    4.6K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    No Cranky40 I didn't bake it blind. What temperature should I bake the base at?

As my lovely Grandad used to say, here are the destructions
    http://www.wikihow.com/Blind-Bake
  • Hi Folks,

Hope everybody is doing well.

I am going to declare now for the month of jan as I get paid next friday and I did my final weekly shop tonight. I spent £13.97 taking my total for the month to £91.50/£90.

So I am Declaring on £91.50 for the month of Jan.

I was £1.50 over my budget of £90. However, I am not to downhearted as I had to stock up at the begining of the month :beer:

Anyway better go

Take care

Money Fritter
    DFW#972 LBM2 (09/07/12) £25938.84; Current £23783.35;
    Credit Credit Card1 £128.47/£6424.24 (2%);
    Credit Card2 £443.86/£15663.25 (2.8%); Overdraft £0/£2500 (0%)
  • I've only just discovered this thread and would like to join the Grocery Challenge 2009, hope I'm not too late!
    Always seem to be overdrawn at the end of the month and have spent yesterday doing Martin's budget planner. It's time to become aware of what I actually spend on groceries and to cut it right down. Pay day was yesterday, there are four of us so I am going for £400 this month and can review it next month when I have a better idea of just how much I can save. I'm always full of good intentions, but end up making lots of trips to the supermarket which is just at the end of the road, rather than buying one big shop, so of course an extra chocolate bar and a bottle of wine here and there soon adds up. Time to sort it out...

Off to read the wealth of advice and tips on here. Thanks everyone! :j
    Slimming World: SD: 2.05.16 SW: 13st10lb
    Goal: 11st 10lb by my birthday in August

• HollysanHollysan Forumite
    136 Posts
    Hello everyone,

Well we have already spent too much on food this month, and I haven't made it to the wholefood warehouse yet! I too have been going to the shops too often,and you do end up spending more than you would by doing one big shop, I'm sure.

Also, I am very busy at work this month so I am finding it impossible to find time to do any cooking other than the basic meal prep. No baking! So I have been buying stuff for lunchboxes. Ho hum, we can have a budget month in Feb! :rotfl:

Hollysan
    MFiT-T4 #63
    Mortgage £78,000/£67,690.73
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Energy price cap could be extended beyond 2023

New plans have just been announced by the Government

MSE News

Cheap contents insurance for tenants

DON'T assume your landlord covers you

MSE Guides

Summer sizzlers round-up