PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

January 2009 Grocery Challenge

Options

Comments

• tessie_bear
    tessie_bear Posts: 4,898 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    hi...hope all is going well.... i went to m and s today to purchase £10 deal had a look then went to [EMAIL="icel@nd"]icel@nd[/EMAIL] and got a chicken for £2.50 and didnt bother with m and s deal....so £7.50 still in my pocket....i got a bowl of salad(iceburg 4 tomatoes half a cucumber cress box 2 big red onion) for £1 and have used it twice it was very fresh and nice.....if peeps have time this might be worth looking in to instead of paying £1 for a cucumber....that seems an awful lot to me ...also went to [EMAIL="h@me"]h@me[/EMAIL] bargains and got some pataks tandoori rubs for 29p that seemed good...i dont know what they are like yet....have anice evening tess
    onwards and upwards
  • Frugaldom
    Frugaldom Posts: 6,939 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Hi guys, tonight I am going to take time to catch up on here, hope everyone is doing well. My meal planning training is a success so far, NOTHING has been thrown out, not even the pastry trimmings from the pies - they got made into jam tarts :D I got 2 small fish pies out the leftover mash, DS is dining out tonight, so 2 of us here had an ashet pie each, with a little extra cheese grated over the top. I also used the last of the hjomegrown parsley from the freezer for the sauce :)

Edited in - not getting anywhere fast with my 'catch up' so will just say good luck to all, well done to those succeeding, welcome and good luck to all newcomers and to all who read, keep on budgetting :D
    I reserve the right not to spend.
    The less I spend, the more I can afford.

Frugal living challenge - living on £4000 in 2024
  • MrsBartolozzi
    Options
    Thanks for answering MrsM, I did have a feeling the stalks might be a bit tough, but never thought to peel them, Doh!!
    That's Saturday's lunch sorted then,
    MrsB.

It's only a game
    ~*~*~ We're only here to dream ~*~*~
  • redmel1621
    redmel1621 Posts: 6,002 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Just updating sig

Dh bought some milk and egg custards yesterday, but as he bought it out of his money I am not counting it...I had given him change for the train the other day so it sort of balances the books anyway...

I nipped into Somerfield today, I needed cheese and onions, but also got myself some nice big baking potatoes for lunches - spent £4.22. I also bought myself a few bits for lunches on Tuesday which I haven't added on yet, I think it came to about £5?
    So total spend £9.22.
    I am definitely going to have to look into growing my own lettuce, cucumber and tomatoes this year, as I love salad in the warmer weather and I am really going to be trying to lose weight after having the baby, so I will be spending a fortune on these three items!!!

Mel x
    Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot,
    Nothing is going to get better. It's not.
  • angelatgraceland
    Options
    Not a lot to tell today cos I spent nothing! Yippee! Also had the good news that I can claim exemption on my prescriptions-every little helps. So spent lunch hour toing and froi-ing from docs to chemist to docs. Stopped me shopping though thank goodness.
    Annual Grocery budget 2018 is £1500 pa £125 calendar month £28.84 pw for 3 adults
  • mama67
    mama67 Posts: 1,367 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    LydiaJ wrote: »
    Agree about sitting down, and that making the sandwiches is boring. Years ago (pre-kids) I used to do bread rolls rather than flat sandwiches, and make a couple of weeks' worth at a time and freeze them. You just take them out of the freezer before work/school in the morning, and they have defrosted in your lunchbox by lunchtime.

I give my kids their juice in little coke bottles - the smallest ones. They've learnt to drink out of a bottle without needing a sports top or anything, so the lid is a proper lid, and the bottle doesn't leak. It took a while, but I've eventually trained them to bring the bottles home to be used again, instead of throwing them away.
    My two have the highland spring water bottles and these get reused.

I buy a 12 pack for start of school in Sept, Jan, and Apr the start of the 3 old style terms they get 6 bottles each, which they get as the water first then they choose to either have it refilled with water or diluted barley squash.

These bottle are thr right size for lunchtime and both bottle and lid are type 2 plastic so are easily recyclable in my doorstep collection.
    My self & hubby; 2 sons (28 & 25). Now also a daughter (36). Eldest son has his own house with partner & her 2 children (10 & 8)
    Youngest looking to buy a house end of 2024.
    Daughter married with 3 boys (11, 8 & 4).
    My mother always served up leftovers we never knew what the original meal was. - Tracey Ulman
  • LittleAnna
    Options
    Ta for the Pm showing me what to do
    Flutter ,flutter
    I believe.......:lovethoug
    Feb Grocery £300 - 14.50 = £285.50
  • dollypeeps
    Options
    I like the idea of this challenge but dont know how to do mine. I do a big shop every 2 weeks. I find it much easier. We get paid dh wages every friday but if I go every week I seem to overspend. Its not that I am impulsive - I menu plan and do a list but if I go every fortnight I can buy the multibuy offer on what we use and this seems to make a difference.

I budget about £45 per week to put aside for the "fortnightly shop" and then usually about £10 in between to pick up fresh fruit and veg - usually from aldis super 6!!!

I guess I will keep my totals for the next few weeks and then maybe I can jump in at a later date.
    Grocery spends £193.44/ £70 per week or £303 per month
  • princess_leia_3
    Options
    Thanks Mrs M, do you have an internet blog then? (I am a nosey so and so ;) ) We too had jacket spud, cottage cheese and salad for tea which is just yummy!
    I have made our salad lunches for tomorrow and we will have pasta with mushrooms and boursin light stirred through for dinner!
    Off to get my gardening book out and see what I want to grow :D
    Sealed pot Member target £200 - No. 151
    GC Yearly £3k so far £1097 May£220/£300
    £1k in 100 days so far - £235 :p
    Snowball debt free calculator says DEC 09 - lets hope we can do it!

• Tracey.32
    Options
    Hello everyone - hope you have all had a good day!

Had go for some bits and pieces last night - spent 21.69 at Mr T's - was hoping to wait till Friday, but needed some cat food and packed lunch stuff. Got their own brand pouches for Wotsit and Fatboy (the 2 furry children) and so far it's going down pretty well - I am amazed as they have never tolerated own brand before - but that was tins tho ... Think they may be smaller sizes than I usually get, too - will have to check that later.

Got whoopsied baby potatoes for 69p/500g, cooked meats 2 for £1.80 and stuff like cling-film, cotton buds and a couple of birthday cards but just including these along with everything else. Also got spread in 1kg size - JUST so I can use the empty container for the freezer :rotfl: only now I think it'll be too big, and my old 500g ones would have done :rotfl:

Using the spending diary too - and am looking forward to having a whole month's figures to look at. I think it'll really highlight where I can make savings - or at least where I should TRY and make savings - haha!!:rolleyes:
    Grocery challenge: Jun£134.15/£120; Jul £60.90/£120
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport