PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

RENTING? Check your LL has permission to let that property.

Comments

• x_emma_x
    x_emma_x Posts: 40 Forumite
    Ive just paid the £3 and the record DID tell me that my LL is still registered at my address, how much she paid for the property, when it was purchased and who the lender is. What now??
    Dont allow someone to be your priority.....whilst letting you be their option
  • TJ27
    TJ27 Posts: 741 Forumite
    I don't know who you contacted but it certainly would not have been the Land Registry!

They WILL NOT give out information about properties to strangers.

They stopped it over a year ago.

Aye, OK then. So my account with the Land Registry is actually with somebody else. Thanks for the tip. I'll get onto it straight away, because some fraudster is giving me details of home owners when they're not allowed to. They've even stolen the land registry web site for heavens sake!
  • socrates
    socrates Posts: 2,889 Forumite
    As far as I know you can check with Land Registry - however this is not the point in question - even by knowing this it still does not prove if they have consent to let - which is what the OP originally stated!

I am not arguing about whether tenants should know or that LL's should do the right thing.

Basically there is no official tool for this!
  • silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 46,865
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Ambassador
    I don't know who you contacted but it certainly would not have been the Land Registry!

They WILL NOT give out information about properties to strangers.

They stopped it over a year ago.

They stopped giving copies of signatures, they still give all the details.
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 46,865
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Ambassador
    Ive just paid the £3 and the record DID tell me that my LL is still registered at my address, how much she paid for the property, when it was purchased and who the lender is. What now??

You ask your landlord to provide proof they have consent to let.
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • hearts
    hearts Posts: 1,191 Forumite
    silvercar wrote: »
    You ask your landlord to provide proof they have consent to let.

Why? Lets say for instance he says "I don't" then what? Or what if he says "I'm not giving you proof of anything" Then what?

What I'm saying is, whats the point of this? Knowing this is not going to make any difference to your situation. So whats the point?

Waste of time and 3 quid ;-)
  • TJ27
    hearts wrote: »
    Why? Lets say for instance he says "I don't" then what? Or what if he says "I'm not giving you proof of anything" Then what?

What I'm saying is, whats the point of this? Knowing this is not going to make any difference to your situation. So whats the point?

Yup. Or what is he says, "Yes, of course I have." Is he lying?

The only way to find out is to ask him for some sort of document from his lender which confirms the situation. And actually, even that could be forged without too much trouble.

I suppose if he said, "I don't" then you could write to his lender and tell them. They might then want to get in touch with him. I've known one case where the lender asked for their money back in such a situation.

Come to think of it you could write to the lender anyway, whatever his answer. Then if he's not above board they'll probably contact him.
  • franklee
    franklee Posts: 3,867
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    hearts wrote: »

If they have consent to let then why refuse to show it if the tenant explains nicely why they are asking?

There are many threads here where landlords who have had to rent out their own home because they cannot sell it do not get consent to let. These are just the people who have very tight cash flow and could easily slip into arrears with their mortgage. If they were not so cash strapped then they would be more likely to ask for consent and pay any extra.

If the property is repossessed and there is no consent to let then the tenant most likely has no rights at all. That is no right to notice, no rights to even be told what is going on.

With consent to let the tenant will get notice, this may be as little as two months, but that's much better than nothing.

There are plenty of threads here from tenants who only find out very late on that their landlord is getting repossessed and who face moving with little or no notice as they are not being informed of what is going on.
  • TJ27
    franklee wrote: »
    If they have consent to let then why refuse to show it if the tenant explains nicely why they are asking?

Because this would have to be done before the tenancy was signed. A LL might then think, "Flipping heck, this prospective tenant is keen to check me out. It seems to me that he/she might be a bit of a nuisance. I'm not so sure that I really want him/her as my tenant."
  • Premier_2
    Premier_2 Posts: 15,141
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    ... These should show that the mortgage lender has the landlord's address listed at a different address to the property the landlord is trying to rent out....

Not necessarily.

There are many reasons why the land registry details may show the owner as registered at the property itself.

e.g.

(i) some solicitors actually recommend LLs to be registered this way as they suggest if simplifies matters (I don't understand this myself, perhaps a solicitor could explain)

(ii) the property was originally intended to be the residential home of the owner, but then decided to let. It may have always had a BTL mortgage on it.

The LR details are not usually updated each time the owner moves (perhaps that's the reason behind (1) above?) What is importnat is that the lender is aware of the borrowers latest address, else complications can arise.

Tenants should not be put off renting property simply because the owner is recorded at that address by the LR. So save yourself £3 :)
    "Now to trolling as a concept. .... Personally, I've always found it a little sad that people choose to spend such a large proportion of their lives in this way but they do, and we have to deal with it." - MSE Forum Manager 6th July 2010
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure