PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

xmas dinner, what did you learn?

Options
12345679»

Comments

• Westywoodpecker
    Options
    I learnt that roasts seem to cook quicker with Goose fat :confused:
    BUT....Parsnips take longer :mad: :D
    Now thanks to Tommix & Queen Bear, now Lady Westy of Woodpecker :)
  • Beccah_3
    Beccah_3 Posts: 213 Forumite
    Options
    I've learnt that preparing the veggies,stuffing and trimmings on christmas eve makes christmas day soooo much less stressfull. Also that I really need to think about portion sizes as I made enough for 10 people and there were only 3 of us.
    Sanity is the playground of the unimaginative!

• lrr_2
    lrr_2 Posts: 945 Forumite
    Options
    I learned that relatives will always argue and don't even take a day off for it at christmas!
  • CFC
    CFC Posts: 3,119 Forumite
    Options
    We have 2 christmas dinners, one huge ham on 24th (swedish Xmas dinner) and a turkey on the 25th (my Xmas!). I learned that cooking the ham all evening after work on 23rd and serving it cold is fine and a lot less stressful. i learned that after stuffing ourselves with the full swedish monte on 24th, that a leisurely wake up on 25th and xmas dinner about 5pm is absolutely fine...and that I can drop my guilt about being a poor housewife if xmas dinner isn't on the table at 2pm!
  • Beetlemama
    Beetlemama Posts: 1,153 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I know it's an old thread but we'll all be reading it again soon....

Turkey crown from Iceland is just as good as a real turkey when no one eats dark meat anyway. It doesn't look as nice on the table but oh well.

Nuke whatever can be nuked. It's quicker and since we eat it all year round it doesn't seem odd.
    "There is no substitute for time."

Competition wins:
    2013. Three bottles of oxygen! And a family ticket to intech science centre. 2011. The Lake District Cheese Co Cow and bunny pop up play tent, cheese voucher, beach ball and cuddly toy cow and bunny and a £20 ToysRus voucher!
  • meritaten
    meritaten Posts: 24,158 Forumite
    Options
    DONT open champagne over your dinner! it goes nicely WITH the meal but not ON it!
    cook the turkey the day before and slice it cold (it goes much further) then warm it up in the microwave or the gravy just before serving! dont try to plate everything - its easier to serve it all in bowls - and make the men do the washing up!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure