PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

xmas dinner, what did you learn?

Options

Comments

• buxtonrabbitgreen
    Options
    I am hoping to learn what I can do with the frozen cocktail sausages that are in my freezer, that were supposed to be devils on horseback. I always forget somthing.
    Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination:beer:

Oscar Wilde
  • Rikki
    Rikki Posts: 21,625 Forumite
    Options
    Forgot to dish up any stuffing balls for myself. :o Everybody else thought theirs tasted great. :mad: :rotfl:
    £2 Coins Savings Club 2012 is £4 :).............................NCFC member No: 00005.........

......................................................................TCNC member No: 00008
    NPFM 21
  • deborah64
    Options
    I learnt never to buy frozen roasting vegs, they were awful, they ended up in the bin, and that i love cauliflower cheese. :j
  • mummy2mygirls
    Options
    I learnt not to leave the pot par boiling and playing with the kids as it will get over done and then end up like roasted mash!!
    I also learnt not to get dh to check for The giblets bag!!!!!!!!!!!!!Which he then found when cutting the turkey up.......
    GC: Nov: £60.22/£450 Oct: £338.48/£450, July: £363.05/£450, June £447.98/£500
    £2 savers No68: £104/£100 :j
    :jmummy to: 8yr, 5yr, 3yr, 2yr, 1yr. No6 Due Mar 2013 My world.:j
  • bullet_2
    Options
    I wrote out a time plan of the preparation for the Christmas dinner, ordered everyone out of the kitchen whilst I set to work and stuck to it. It went really well, the only time I felt panicky was when I was dishing out and there seemed to be dishes everywhere. I bought a joint of beef and roasted the potatoies in the fat that dripped off it, then used the juices to make gravy. Still got loads of the joint left which will go in a curry and a stirfry over the next couple of days.
  • bundance
    bundance Posts: 1,114 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Never cooked dinner, but know the following

Cut an X shape a little way through each brussell sprout, and it takes a fraction of the time to cook, as the heat penetrates quicker.
  • Stephen_Leak
    Options
    Well, last year, we learned that an expensive free range organic chicken from a local farm shop wasn't all it was cracked up to be.

This year, we proved it with an ASDA SmartPrice one for just £2.52, plus a pack of stuffing at 17p. And we still have half left over for a chicken risotto this evening.
    The acquisition of wealth is no longer the driving force in my life. :)
  • rev229
    rev229 Posts: 1,045 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary PPI Party Pooper Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    I learnt that I really don't like turkey very much and my homemade gravy was yuk, I used bisto in the end. However I prepared all the veg last week and froze it all. The turkey was cooked xmas eve. So when the family arrived for lunch the oven wasn't even on! I bet they thought they where having pizza. Anyway everyone enjoyed there christmas lunch.
  • MrsFraggle
    Options
    Proud of myself this year, for getting everything mostly ok!

Turkey was absolutely lovely, it was a crown from Asda, no shrinkage and I cooked it as it said on the label, wasn't dry or anything so very pleased with that

Only thing that didn't go to plan was that the yorkshires didn't rise so looked a bit like those things people use when clay pigeon shooting. (yes we do have yorkshires with christmas dinner (for the kids really ;)))

I'd never cooked sprouts or parsnips before (I know I know...but noone in our house likes them!) but this year, as we had guests I thought I better had, so Google came to my rescue on how to cook them :rotfl: noone complained or died so they were ok!
  • sunflower76
    Options
    The most important lesson for me was to go out for a meal, to please ourselves and to relax. This was the best grown-up Christmas I've had (in 11 years). The only downside is no leftovers!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure