Credit Card Scam

MSE_Martin
MSE_Martin Posts: 8,272 Money Saving Expert
First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
For the same information in an article form click here

The Scam:  You get a call from Visa/Mastercard security department pretending you've been defrauded and asking for details

The Result You give them your details and they take your cash

The way to prevent it NEVER give out your details to someone who calls you - always find out the organisations legit phone number (don't ask them - call Directory Enquiries (article on cheapest here)

The following is a sample of the type of thing they do, received from a MoneySaver who was called

My husband was called on Wednesday from "VISA" and I was called on Thursday From "MasterCard". It worked like this: Person calling says,

"This is Carl Patterson (any name) and I'm calling from the Security and Fraud department at VISA. My Badge number is 12460. Your card has been flagged for an unusual purchase pattern, and I'm calling to verify. This would be on your VISA card. Did you purchase an Anti-Telemarketing Device/Any expensive item for £ 497.99 from a marketing company based in Anywhere?" When you say "No". The caller continues with, "Then we will be issuing a credit to your account.
This is a company we have been watching and the charges range from £297 to £497, just under the £500 purchase pattern that flags most cards.

Before your next statement, the credit will be sent to (gives you your  address), is that correct?" You say, "Yes". The caller continues . . .

I will be starting a fraud investigation. If you have any questions, you should call the 0800 number listed on your card 1-800-VISA and ask for Security, you will need to refer to this Control #". Then gives  you a 6 digit number. "Do you need me to read it again?" Caller then
says he "needs to verify you are in possession of your card. Turn the card over. There are 7 numbers; first 4 are 1234 whatever) the next 3  are the security numbers that verify you are in possession of the
card. These are the numbers you use to make internet purchases to prove you have the card. Read me the 3 numbers." Then he says "That is  correct. I just needed to verify that the card has not been lost or
stolen, and that you still have your card. Do you have any other questions? Don't hesitate to call back if you do."

You actually say very little, and they never ask for or tell you the card number. But after we were called on Wednesday, we called back  within 20 minutes to ask a question. Are we glad we did! The REAL VISA  security dept. He told us it was a scam and in the last 15 minutes a  new purchase of £497.99 WAS put on our card. Long story made short .  we made a real fraud report and closed the VISA card and they are
reissuing as a new number.

What the scam wants is the 3 digit number and that once the charge goes through, they keep Charging every few days. By the time you get your statement, you think the credit is coming, and then it's harder
to actually file a fraud report.
[/font]
Martin Lewis, Money Saving Expert.
Please note, answers don't constitute financial advice, it is based on generalised journalistic research. Always ensure any decision is made with regards to your own individual circumstance.
Don't miss out on urgent MoneySaving, get my weekly e-mail at www.moneysavingexpert.com/tips.
Debt-Free Wannabee Official Nerd Club: (Honorary) Members number 000

Comments

• System
    System Posts: 178,092 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    There is famous card compnay out there that, so far, has rung about 4 times in the last 6 months. The very first thing they say is their company name and want straight away my secret password and address and DOB to confirm I am the right person they are speaking to.
    At first I refused and called back the company to find out it WAS legitame. They are basically ringing to sell me card protection !!!!!!
    The very first time, the lady caller was bewildered why I was not prepared to answer her questions....maybe it's beacuse they live in india !!!!!
  • System
    Would that company be MNBA by any chance?.....they've tried it with me!
  • Just to add my 2penneth.

My card company rang me to genuinely check a potentially fraudulent card transaction and never once asked for any details, other than to confirm I was the card holder.

So definitely be aware of them asking you questions!
  • System
    Yep, this scam happened to me a couple of weeks ago. To my surprise :o luckily, just before giving my card details to her I stopped and thought.... and realised I didn't know this person from Adam and how did I know they were really phoning from my bank. She was scarily plausible and confident as she gave her name and a real freephone number to call. I called this number and was told that there was no-one working there by that name. The real bank's fraud department stopped my credit card and sent me a new one. I'm a lucky one - not too much hassle. Only problem is I don't trust anyone who phones me now! :-/
  • System
    When I heard about this scam, I was concerned due to an earlier incident when I received a call from my credit card company, asking for security detail checks, and which I wasn't at all happy about, but was finally convinced was a genuine call, and was told they'd picked up on a mis-entered expiry date for a CD purchase made the previous night (I had to ree-enter the date). I immediately hung up, then called back to the number on the back of my bill, and a different person confirmed the previous conversation to be genuine. I've had no unexplained purchases appear on any bills, so it seems that the were very alert, but I'll keep an eye open for a while, just in case! :-/
  • COS
    COS Posts: 550 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    This would'nt have anything to do with a recent posting of mine.

A company called me and suggested my name, they told me I owed them money and asked me to confirm my date of birth, at this point I told them I had'nt heard of them and put the phone down.

Simply. Don't give any details confirming your id to anyone over the phone or internet unless your 100% secure.

Rememember. Everyone seems normal until you get to know them.
    Never pass up an opportunity to go to the bathroom.
    If you woke up breathing, congratulations! You get another chance. And finally, be really nice to your family and friends; you never know
    when, You might need them to empty your bedpan.
  • COS
    COS Posts: 550 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Just read on our local TV Text a lady on the Isle of Wright had a call from someone saying they were from her bank took her details and took money out of her account.

Please be careful folks.
    Rememember. Everyone seems normal until you get to know them.
    Never pass up an opportunity to go to the bathroom.
    If you woke up breathing, congratulations! You get another chance. And finally, be really nice to your family and friends; you never know
    when, You might need them to empty your bedpan.
  • tomek_2
    tomek_2 Posts: 74 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    My wife also received a suspicious call asking her to confirm her DOB and card number. After hanging up and redialling (Abbey National) it turned uot that it WAS them selling card payment protection.

They COULD NOT UNDERSTAND WHY she would not answer their questions.

The problem is that at the time of those cold calls there is no way of veryfying whether they are legitimate.
    Best to be wary. >:(
  • I've had goldfish ring me up a few times too. A couple of times to offer me card payment protection and once to verify it was me who made a purchse for something. I was a bit dubious about the last call...
  • Rich_4
    Rich_4 Posts: 23 Forumite
    Haha, don't know if scammers are someone to be wary off, but I recently received a call, clicked on to what was happening and told them the wrong 3 numbers... "OK, that's fine." "Ah, no it's not. It's wrong... Now f*ck off an earn a living."

Perhaps you could give them the wrong numbers and leave it at that and see if they call back, give them another wrong 3 numbers and see how many tries it takes them... Could be a laugh.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure