PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Money Saving recipes for Slimming World

Options

Comments

• suekjw
    suekjw Posts: 866 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I got to target about a month ago (lost 5stones in 11 months) - my favourite has to be Egg and Chips! Boring, predictable but very tasty lol!

I also like to do chicken kiev using quark and wrapping them in smoked bacon so they are syn free!
  • Skint_Catt
    Skint_Catt Posts: 11,548 Forumite
    Options
    hmmmm SW chips - yummy!
  • tiff
    tiff Posts: 6,608 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Savvy Shopper!
    Options
    Does anyone have any slow cooker recipes? I'm starting work in an afterschool club next month, 3.15pm to 6.15pm so could do with some SW slow cooker recipes that will be ready for when we get in from school. I saw one for lamb shanks on another site that looked tasty.
    “A budget is telling your money where to go instead of wondering where it went.” - Dave Ramsey
  • Skint_Catt
    Options
    For SW my best SC receipe is just Quorn sausage casserole. The quorn sausages really soak up the flavour - just your normal casserole veg and stock/gravy (though sometimes I cheat and use the Bisto casserole jars - 7 syns for whole jar IIRC).

Or you could do chilli con carne in the SC (I'm sure you could do Quorn mince but some people say it shouldn't be cooked for that long).

Or curry - I did a Beef Curry from scratch in the SC the other day though its not very spicy :( (again quorn pieces....)
  • tiff
    tiff Posts: 6,608 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Savvy Shopper!
    Options
    I suppose if the SC is on for around 3.5 hours on low that wouldnt be too bad for quorn, I will have to try it out. Alternatively I could cook quorn meals on the hob during the day and just reheat when we get home. The key to all that of course is being organised! Something else to work on lol
    “A budget is telling your money where to go instead of wondering where it went.” - Dave Ramsey
  • Skint_Catt
    Options
    Something quick free on green day is Quorn meatballs with spaghetti - you just heat the meatballs with chopped toms, herbs, garlic etc and cook the spaghetti!
  • Rattykat
    Options
    Hi guys,

I've looked at my SOA and for me and my OH we are spending about £65-£70 on food shopping (including cleaning products etc) I used to survive on £20 - £25 in (usually all in Iceland) before he moved in. I think the main rise is because I'm now on SW and buying more fresh food. Anyone got any good cheap SW reciepes (or even better weekly menu!) please?
    Another thing I'm finding is that I can't just make a pot of bolognase sauce and have it 3 days running as he won't eat peppers, tomatoes etc, also won't eat beans (other than baked beans), lentils or anything else really that's nice and thrifty!!
    I'm not blaming him, I'm just at a loss as to how to reduce my budget, I already meal plan and shop on-line to resist temptation!
    Starting debt: £6650 on 01/11/09
    Current debt: £6650

I aim to be debt free by 01/01/2012
  • MrsBartolozzi
    Options
    Do you have a freezer? Freeze in meal-sized portions and have next week? Even if you don't have a freezer, the bolognaise will keep for a good few days in the fridge and so you can have it on say Monday, something else on Tues and Wed, then on Thursday, layer the mince with white sauce and pasta and make a lasagne. Serve with a salad and it's different from Monday's meal.
    The other option you have is (assuming no freezer) to make up the mince with tomatoes mix. Add herbs and garlic to one half = bolognaise, add chili and kidney beans (oops just seen OH won't eat them - just add half a tin of baked beans) to the other half= chili. I know it's still mince two days a week, but the meals are very different if you serve one with rice and one with pasta.

I know you're on Sw but if you make cheap "extras" to go with the mince meals it might appease the OH! Try basics part-baked bread sliced and spread with garlic spread (clove of garlic squished into a knob of marg/butter)= garlic bread, or some tortilla chips (basics again;)) with the chili.

It's only a game
    ~*~*~ We're only here to dream ~*~*~
  • phizzimum
    phizzimum Posts: 1,712 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    when i'm trying to bulk out bolognaise for fussy eaters i add oats rather than lentils - oats just end up looking like mince so he won't even know its there. not sure how that would affect your diet but you could always have less pasta or rice with it?
    weaving through the chaos...
  • ubamother
    ubamother Posts: 1,190 Forumite
    Options
    root veg are cheap this time of year, and keep better than salady stuff. You can bulk out casseroles etc. with lots of chunky veg - all SW free. Another goody is to 'roast' root veg - parboil and then spray with frylight/smear a tbsp of oil on and roast. SW chips are great - as long as you cook them really well - and cheap. Quark is free, and although it tastes of pretty much nothing on its own (in my opinion anyway!), if you cook onions/mushrooms etc. gently and then coat in quark with herbs/mustard etc. for flavouring you get a nice creamyish sauce for pasta instead of a tomato based one.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure