»

Motorway "Rip-off" stations...

New Post Advanced Search

Coronavirus: Stay up to date with the latest from MSE

The MSE team is working extremely hard to keep the info we have about your travel rights, cancellation rights, sick pay (and more) up to date.
Stay updated with our guides: Coronavirus Help & Your Rights * Coronavirus Travel Rights
NEWSFLASH 27/03
MARTINS VIDEO FOR SELF-EMPLOYED * DELAY HOUSE MOVES * EUROSTAR UPDATE

Motorway "Rip-off" stations...

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Praise, Vent & Warnings
133 replies 51.8K views
jmhagrhjmhagrh Forumite
15 posts
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Praise, Vent & Warnings
I am sick and tired of the prices charged at motorway service stations - can we just all boycott them or something?

I went to get a sandwich but walkied out when I saw that they were about £7! >:(

Official Insert:

MoneySaver Leosayer has given a link below to a site that helps you find cheaper places to eat close to service stations.

The site is http://www.5minutesaway.co.uk/

Replies

• I know what you mean!

Do they really think that preceeding their prices with the word 'only' (eg full english breakfast only £6.99) makes the item good value???

I guess that you should always carry your own drink & sarnies or find a station with a McDonalds as they charge the same as the High Street branches.
    Better to die on your feet than to live on your knees!
  • I guess that you should always carry your own drink & sarnies or find a station with a McDonalds as they charge the same as the High Street branches.

I fully agree with the above!

Danny.
  • Hi all.

AGREED,

Check out the following link for my previous comments

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=Urgents;action=display;num=1063106072

These places are only useful for one thing. (Maybe two)
    Percy and porcelain spring to mind

Leo  :)
    Dont you just love freshly congealed pigs blood, with a bit of fat in :D
  • SystemSystem
    177.7K posts
    10,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Apparently there is a book you can get that gives an alternative to every service station in the UK. It works by giving details of the nearest shopping centre/pub/restaurant from each junction. Unfortunately I do not know the name or publisher.

I hope this is of any help ???

Ade
    PS if anyone knows it then I would be interested
  • Hi all,

And, as if by magic, here is the link to the 5 minute away website,

http://www.5minutesaway.co.uk/

Now you don't have to buy the book or spend money on petrol going to the library. Savings galore!!!!

Leo  :)
    Dont you just love freshly congealed pigs blood, with a bit of fat in :D
  • I Have to leap to the defence of at least one of the service stations - when my hubby and i travel from glasgow south we always stop at the MOTO service stations, although they are probably as expensive as the rest they seem to offer better choice & quality and their facilities for families (We have a 2yr old and an 11mth old) Are superb (always get the free baby food and presterilised bottles and save them for future use). What do others think of MOTO?
  • SystemSystem
    177.7K posts
    10,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    I have never paid so much to eat in such filthy conditions as the chain of MOTO service stations.
    I frequently ask for my money back under the no quibble guarantee - and I always get quibbles from the staff.
    The next time you go into a MOTO service station look at the food left on the floor and count how many tables have not been cleared. If you think it's unreasonable - ask for your money back.
  • SystemSystem
    177.7K posts
    10,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    As a regular motorway driver I have'nt noticed MOTO as being any worse than any other, but as confirmed money saver did you know that RAC members get 20% discount at MOTO servoces, across the board in restaurant, shop, Burger King and Harry Ramsdens. Still not cheap but more affordable.
  • SystemSystem
    177.7K posts
    10,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    ''Prices cheaper at McDonalds at Motorway services''. Not true in my experience. Stopped at Luton Services on M1 recently got a burger and drink from BurgerKing. Rip Off prices compared with up here in North East. Have tried some of the places suggested in '' 5 minutes away '' guide , superb, cheap, cheerful and most of all can relax in relative peace and quiet compared with motorway service areas.
    Keep up the good work.
  • SystemSystem
    177.7K posts
    10,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Flash your RAC card at Moto service stations and get 20% off everything except petrol [and I'm unsure about cigarettes, etc]. It's useful for cds and tapes. The Little Chef chain also recognise it, although I am looking forward to reading the 5mins from the motorway link. Bi.