We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Freezer containers (merged threads)

1…4647495152…56

Comments

  • tulip12
    tulip12 Posts: 329
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Photogenic
    Forumite
    I used margarine spread containers for this, the square ones stack nicely together in the freezer.
  • tanith
    tanith Posts: 8,091
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I use Chinese takeaway boxes they are perfect for this and stack well..
    #6 of the SKI-ers Club :j

    "All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing" Edmund Burke
  • Chris25
    Chris25 Posts: 12,918
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Photogenic I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    I second the chinese take-away cartons - you can also buy them in supermarkets. Tupperware style tubs are less wasteful than the foil containers with cardboard style lids because you can re-use them - bear in mind though that some tomatoey sauces may stain ;)
  • alex21
    alex21 Posts: 553 Forumite
    I use the plastic Chinese cartons as they are not too deep so I can fit a lot into the freezer. I agree the foil containers are a wee bit wasteful but I use them for curry and lasagne because I can put them into the oven a cook from frozen when I am not organised enough to defrost in time! I agree about orange coloured stains on plastic which can be off putting!:D
  • Brilliant, thanks for all your suggestions. I never thought about putting lasagne in a foil container and cooking it straight from frozen!
  • TTC40
    TTC40 Posts: 1,056 Forumite
    You can buy both the foil & the plastic in poundland.

    Think they work out about 8p each as you get 12 (I think) in a pack.
  • Thanks, I'll def get myself down to Poundland.
  • I make lots of my own soup and casseroles and always freeze in individual portions. Like other people I save any used containers (pasta sauce tubs, margarine tubs, large yogurt pots etc) but also buy the packs of oblong plastic containers from Poundland or B & M (same price at both) as they stack easily.
    "If you dream alone it will remain just a dream. But if we all dream together it will become reality"
  • castleton
    castleton Posts: 320
    Part of the Furniture
    Forumite
    I use 1pt plastic milk bottles ( I get them to save them for me at work ) to store soup in the freezer. If I fill to 3/4 full it is a portion for me and it is also easy to convey to workwithout leaking.
  • anniewoo
    anniewoo Posts: 469 Forumite
    I also buy the packs of plastic containers from Poundland,they are very useful.I cook huge batches of curry,chilli,bolognese etc and then freeze individual portions.
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.2K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.