PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Christmas Dinner (preparing in advance)

Options

Comments

• Justamum
    Justamum Posts: 4,727 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    binkyboo wrote: »
    I have just part cooked my roast potatoes going to open freeze them then bag them up to reheat from frozen and finish off the cooking in the oven on christmas day, starting to worry i've done that wrong now too! Should i have just par boiled them and then frozen them?

I'm sure even part roasted is fine - I just have parboiled ones because when I'm doing Sunday dinner I peel too many (on purpose :D) so that I've got some in when I cba to peel some. I think you can buy partly roasted ones, so you'll be fine with those :D
  • melanzana
    melanzana Posts: 3,953 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    This is a great thread!

Could I ask please ..... those of you who cook ham and turkey the night before, and slice it.. Is it necessary to put some gravy or juices on at that stage?

I was thinking of cooking both on Christmas Eve, slicing and storing, and THEN, on the day, re heating with a little juice/gravy. I suppose I worry the meat will go soggy or something if I cover with gravy when storing.

AND.. Sorry for all the questions, but if I cook the ham in the SC, how much liquid do I need? I've never done one before in SC.

Thanks a million folks.
  • Pont
    Pont Posts: 1,459 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    icon1.gif
    OK - I have a carp cooker and have shed full of guests on Christmas Day/Evening. Yes, I could ask them all to bring a dish, but I'm not (if I'm the hostess, I will provide).

Is it possible to pre-cook, and freeze a lot of the sides? Can I make my pigs in blankets, stuffing balls etc in advance and freeze?

I've already made a load of palmiers. Can I pre make vol au vents, fill and freeze?

Spicey type parsnip soup as a starter?

Any tips/advice gratefully received.
  • Pink.
    Pink. Posts: 17,675 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    This thread has lots of advice and ideas that should help:

Christmas Dinner (preparing in advance)

I'll add your thread to that one later to keep the suggestions together.

Pink
  • krlyr
    krlyr Posts: 5,993 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I make the whole packet of stuffing up into balls and freeze what we don't use for dinner. No problems with it, I cook just as per frozen stuffing balls.
    I also batch prepare potatoes and make roast potatoes by par-boiling potatoes (chop and boil for around 5 mins) and open-freezing on a tray so they don't stick together. Then heat the oil, and cook as per usual, but add about 10-15 mins on to the cooking time.
    I can't see why the pigs in blankets wouldn't work, though I'd probably take them out to defrost rather than cook from frozen to ensure the sausages cook through all the way.
    I've read on here about cooking yorkshire puddings beforehand to freeze, then just popping in during the last 5 mins or so to warm through.
  • foxgloves
    foxgloves Posts: 11,128 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    I make my stuffing in advance, get it into the tin, then freeze it ready to come out & thaw on Christmas Eve ready to cook next day. Bread sauce freezes well, just have to add the cream to it while heating it up in small pan, also cranberry sauce. I've never frozen my pigs in blankets, but if I was going to, I'd wrap the sausages in bacon & freeze then ready to go on the foil tray. Red cabbage slow cooked with winter spices, apples, onions, etc, (I use Delia's recipe) freezed fantastically. Just remember to take it out on Christmas Eve (freeze it in its serving dish) so you can heat it on the day.
    "For each of our actions there are only consequences" (James Lovelock)"For in the true nature of things......every green tree is far more glorious than if it were made of gold & silver" (Martin Luther King Jnr)
  • allybee101
    Options
    For vol au vents I think you would need to freeze them empty then fill on the day (so pastry doesn't go soggy).
    Soup freezes excellently.
    You can probably cook stuffing, sausages etc in advance and freeze, re-heat on day.
    Make sure it's all fully defrosted before re-heating.
    Would recommend veg cooked from fresh , specially the sprouts!

We have prepped our Christmas lunch veg on Christmas eve for years. Carrots, sprouts and root veg peeled and bagged, potatoes peeled and placed in bowl of water, covered to keep them under the water line. Parsnips have to be done on the day as they go black (strach breaks down v fast).
    All stored in the garage - cool and dark.
    Amazing how much time it saves on the day.

We cook turkey to be ready about 45 mins before the meal and wrap covered turkey and dish (with foil) in two towels. It allows the meat to rest and frees up space for potatoes, stuffing etc in oven.
    "Does it spark joy?" - Marie Kondo

"Do not wait; the time will never be "just right." Start where you stand, and work with whatever tools you may have at your command, and better tools will be found as you go along." Napoleon Hill
  • anniemf2508
    anniemf2508 Posts: 1,848 Forumite
    Options
    i'm organised this year....
    All made and frozen:
    Sage and onion stuffing balls
    Chestnut stuffing
    HM chipolatas
    Roast potatoes in goose fat
    Bread Sauce
    base for the gravy

will pre-prep the sprouts and honey parsnips this week too

so all will be got out of the freezer xmas eve to defrost
    turkey will be brined xmas eve.

Dessert on xmas day will be a trifle so i can do most of that xmas eve and just put the cream on on the day
  • Gigglepig
    Gigglepig Posts: 1,270 Forumite
    Options
    We are expecting our first baby just over a week before Christmas. I would be grateful for any suggestions regarding foods that can be prepared well in advance for entertaining family coming to visit.

We have very limited freezer space so I can only freeze small amounts. My husband is keen to help but not an experienced cook. Ordering in would be expensive and not really work since stores and restaurants are very busy this time a year and i would need to order last minute (we don't know when family will visit until baby is born).

So I am looking for ideas about things that either keep two weeks in the fridge are very simple to finish. Like brownies, where I can measure up and set aside the dry ingredients in a plastic bag in a baking pan with a note with very simple instructions that my husband or I can quickly and easily finish even when sleep deprived.

Any ideas?
  • cheeswright
    Options
    What kind of food did you have in mind ?
    Meals for multiple people or snacks to go with drinks...?
    A couple of packets of mince pies are easy enough and go with a cup of tea...and keep for months..as does Stollen
    But really , if your either 8 months + pregnant or just had a baby then its traditional for people to bring food for you...not the other way around...so I wouldn't worry about entertaining other people !
    If you read this post back to yourself in a few months time I think you would laugh at the idea of worrying about entertaining others at this point in your life
    Fight Back - Be Happy
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport